overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 2324   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
This hoppy, farmhouse style ale has a champagne like effervescence with a crisp but light on the tongue finish. Similar to the Belgian Saison style , this beer serves well as an aperitif. Hennepin has a majestic golden hue. The style is called Grisette or farm house and is considered to be in the domain of the Belgian Saisons.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - SEP 5, 2003
Small white head, pale golden color. Pretty highly carbonated. Smells malty, fruity and yeasty--very much like a weizen beer to me. Fizzy malty taste, with a very yeasty and bitter finish. I don't mind the flavor until the finish. A little too yeasty sharp for me. All-in-all a decent beer though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
wnp22 (698) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - AUG 29, 2003
Tasted in DC from Cairo. Nice golden yellow cloudy appearance. Good head formation and lacing. Orange spice scent with a champagne like quality. Flavour is very subtle and surprised me considering the bold aroma. Nice mellow balance with a slight yeasty / malty finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
monkeyman (57) - Alabama, USA - AUG 26, 2003
Bottled 9-26-02. Ready to drink now! Yards Saison on steroids. Simply wonderful mix of up-front bitterness/ odd spiciness and huge, thundering malt. Moderate, pure white head with an golden opaque cloudiness. Alcohol completely hidden. Geesh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 24, 2003
I think I was expecting too much from this beer, after just having had the Ommegang and decided it would be my first 5.0 rated beer. Thick sticky looking head. Tastes spicy and citrusy. Was it more body I was expecting? reminded me a little bit of a hefe.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 23, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2004 Large bottle, lukewarm. Pours a bright golden orange, with a large white head consisting of enormous soap bubbles. Aroma changed slightly everytime I picked up the glass, ranging from faint bananas, yeast, spice, oatmeal raisin cookie, new car, bubble gum, and barn. Big initial flavor burst, spice, vanilla, yeast, oak, chewy dough. Second pour reveals more bubble gum and upstate NY barnyard feel, hint of cheddar, and the alcohol is well masked. Long malt aftertaste. Soft carbonation, and warms you up quickly. Style is close to that of a tripel. I thorougly enjoyed this beer, I was quite suprised at just how good this is, though it could maybe use a bit more farmhouse, or not. The rating was not affected at all by the fact that I scored a free Duvel shirt for buying this beer. Will enjoy again in the fall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericnixon (743) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 23, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2006 Re-rate - 5/28/2006 - I bought a bottle of the cave-aged Hennepin at Ommegang the other day. Pours a clear, light coppery color. Citrusy, yeasty aroma. Mild, smooth fizziness with very mellow, yet enjoyable blend of flavors. Light seasony finish. Old rating from 2004: I liked this label. busy and colorful, but in a good modern kinda way. Nice golden color with a big head that slowly dissapated. Spicy lemony flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 22, 2003
Honey-colored, monster, frothy head, and super-lively carbonation. Aroma of citrus, yeast, hop pungence and Belgian candy sugar. Flavor defines the distinction between sour, citrus, and tart, because they're all there. Finish has some dry, bitter qualities and the palate is like oak. This beer screams "clone", although I can't identify the model but I know that the mimic underachieves because it lacks depth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FtWorthBrew (105) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - AUG 21, 2003
Everything about this brew reminds me of the origonal ommegang, with the exception of being lighter and maybe a little bit "fruitier" It also seemed to have less of an alcohol taste than many other Belgian ales. Flavor is not very complex.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
ivan9856 (189) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2003
This is a classic cloudy yellow/orange bottle-conditioned ale pouring with a huge off-white rocky head. It is a fine looking rustic ale, but left surprisingly little lacing through 750ml. I’m always appreciative of an authentic bottle conditioned ale, especially those with an authentic or ersatz cork and the ritualistic opening and pour that follows. What can I say? I’m a sucker for ceremony…however trivial. The aroma of this beer hints of floral, citrus, bread and alcohol. I found it mostly dry and revitalizing from start to finish. It was a tad light on the front end and not quite as sweet and malty as I expected, but this ale balanced out quite nicely with a nice hop and light alcohol flavor in its finish. Mid-palate flavors I identified include grapefruit, pear and a trace of bread-like yeast. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit, and find it to be very refreshing and faithful reproduction of the Belgian Saison or French Biere de Garde style. I recommend this lighter style offering from Brewery Ommegang (Moortgat) over its Belgian Abbey Ale. This ale would go equally well with dinner or as a stand alone.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - AUG 21, 2003
Named after the first European to set his eyes upon the Niagara Falls, the name of my god-awful hometown. Quality beer though. 25 oz. bottle. Cloudy orange/tan color with an off-white head. Very yeasty aroma with some citrusy fruit as well. Malty flavor, also slightly spicy and sweet. Lots of carbonation. Quite good.