overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 2201   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
This hoppy, farmhouse style ale has a champagne like effervescence with a crisp but light on the tongue finish. Similar to the Belgian Saison style , this beer serves well as an aperitif. Hennepin has a majestic golden hue. The style is called Grisette or farm house and is considered to be in the domain of the Belgian Saisons.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JAN 19, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 6, 2005 Although the style says it is a ’Saison’, this reminds me of the white beers I had in Belgium (like Hoegarten). The crisp taste is wonderful. It didn’t have much head, but it was very pleasing to drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 14, 2002
I didn’t like this the first time I tried it but then I got foour bottles for christmas and really liked it. Flowery and hoppy. Would be great as a summertime/ watch the sunset beer. Wonderfully clean tasting. Could have a little more alcohol, but then my favorite belgian ale is bush 12.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JAN 7, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2003 RERATE. Whoa. had to bump this up several notches. Its opulence inspires me now rather than disturbs, especially as I've been tinkering with homebrewing Saisons and really admire the complex and honest spice explosion in this one. 9/5/01 3.2 I got a bottle of this for the name - it approximates my own, but I really couldn't recognize much of myself in the taste. It's intensely spicy and comes at you with a richness that I find almost disturbing.

40oz (181) - Newport Beach, California, USA - DEC 26, 2001
Golden colored with a thick creamy long lasting head. Yeasty, nutty, caramely aroma, similar to Belgian beers like Chimay, Duvel, Piraat, etc. Sweet and spicy tasting with a strong yeast flavor. Delicious.

NYDennis (64) - Port Jefferson Station, New York, USA - DEC 23, 2001
A friend, My Dad and I bought about 20 beers one night and had a taste test going on. Hennepin was the first one we tried and we have enjoyed it since. Great head that seems to stay until the last drop. Was in NYC and saw they had Hennepin in 12OZ bottles. Couldn’t resist.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Oakes (12552) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 23, 2001
Re-rate: I guess I forgot to revise my rating in October when we got new supply of this stuff in Toronto, but Hennepin today is so much better than it used to be. The aggressive yeastiness and carbonation has given way to a smooth, rounded ale that has become the brewery’s best offering. By taking the yeast down a notch, the spice, malts, and earthy hop undertones blend seemlessly together - a perfect autumn quaffer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aurelius (4175) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 14, 2001
Easily one of the best American brews. Way cool appearance. Lemon-gold, tall crystal white head, with flocculent yeast streamers. Nice bottle and label. Rich butter/grape/caramel Belgian nose. Not too tart, strong ’ale’ profile--tastes somewhat redder than it looks. Good bittering, and only a minor ding for a little tart aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
shorlin (650) - St. John’s, Newfoundland, CANADA - DEC 11, 2001
Nice peachy-orange. Good amount of carbonation (basically, a lot, but it stays in the glass). Lots of aroma, full of that Belgian ale yeastiness. Citrusy. There are some sharp undertones in the flavour, although I’m not sure exactly what I mean by that. Dry and crisp, but not as much as some better Belgians.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
heykevin (1276) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - DEC 5, 2001
Great american take on the belgian style. Extremely floral bouquet, with hops and yeasty esteriness. Crisp with some farmhouse ’bite’ to it. Very good beer, especially considering the price.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 18, 2001
Pale gold color. HUGE head. Very carbonated. Real heavy yeast prescence. Overall pretty good.