Ommegang Inauguration Ale (Obamagang)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 89   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
The TTB wonít let us call the beer Obamagang on the keg label. So it will be known legally as Inauguration Ale 2009, but the tap handles will be more...um...direct. The style lies between a porter and stout, with a bit of Kriek and a touch of chocolate blended in. It will be on draft only, beginning with the inauguration - in limited areas including DC, NYC, Syracuse, Philly, Chicago and Boston. We will donate a percentage of sales to charities in the respective cities where the beer is sold, and weíve asked our distributors to match our donations and pick the local charities. (Also please note that the beer is not an endorsement of Obama.)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
LilBeerDoctor (3409) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 31, 2009
Growler. Pours a dark murky brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of yeast, melon rind, roasted nuts, coffee, and chocolate. Smells like chocolate peanut butter pie! Flavor is just a luscious with lots of peanut and chocolate notes. A touch of smoke/ roasted or burnt malt. MAYBE I can taste the cherry, but itís a stretch. I certainly didnít notice it before I read the description. Amazingly robust and quite delicious. I hope Ommegang brings this back for a year-round release! 9/4/9/5/18 (4.5/5)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Damico (2452) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 6, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2009 This delicious beer is true to my heart. I couldnít get it at the brewery in Cooperstown - at first - but then they let us sample it. It pours smooth, like a dark porter with a nice medium-sized head, but itís a dark strong belgian ale. You can taste the kriek (cherries) early on the palate, and subtle, and then a smooth stout/porter taste overall, as described by most. This beer is excellent and itís a shame it will be limited!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
malrubius (1639) - Willowick, Ohio, USA - JAN 29, 2009
Draft taste sample at Big Z (in plastic). Dark brown/black with lasting thick tan head. Chocolaty yeasty aroma with hints of fruit. Rich chocolaty body, creamy texture, milld nutty bitterness and a hint of dry cherry fruitiness. Very very tasty and and surprisingly rich. We can only hope the Obama presidency is as well-crafted as this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
craftbeerdesign (2158) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 22, 2009
on tap at Tylers Tap Room in Durham, NC on 3/21/09. a dark pour with an average tan head. aromas of chocolate, slight coffee and a bit of fruit. nice full body with roasted malts taking force up front. a good amount of bitterness on the back rounded out with some deep chocolate and a bit of cherry. solid beer from Ommegang... really glad I got to try this one before it vanished forever....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 16, 2009
Cloudy muddy brown with a light tan head. What a stout should look like. Nose was full of sensual cocoa with hints of holiday spice and, well, silky smooth chocolate. Nice, what I would call, belgian stout flavors...like, I get a bit of some banana-like yeast esters under those silky chocolatey goodness. The hops, and theyíre there...are 100% balancing the chocolately malts...not non-existent like some cheap stouts and not overly hoppy like all the bullshit west coast stouts...just perfectly balanced. I dug it fo sho...though it was one only a few decent beers at the flour city brewers fest in rochester and I had been drinking piss before and after it....I still think it could stand pretty firmly on its own.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
basewars (169) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 13, 2009
Tap at Harvest Fest. Pours deep brown with brown head. Aroma is chocolate and graham crackers. Medium bodied, and very smooth on the palate. Flavor is mostly chocolate with roasty coffee notes. Finishes sweet. I donít know about any kriek really being in there. Very good nevertheless. Shame this isnít sold.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrnkMcDermott (2776) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JAN 29, 2009
Draft goblet at Lunar Brewing. Yep, first time visiting this brewpub I had a guest beer. Figured this is a one-shot deal, and the bartender said yes, theyíve only got a 5-gallon keg of this. Round, deep stout color, a creamy tan head that peeps above the rim of the glass. Had to sniff several times to get the scent of this: Belgian malt plus a little schawrzbier smoothness, all quite mild. First taste impression is of light coffee, but like a fata morgana, I find it hard to say what else I taste. Just really smooth, low alcohol heat. Now a bit of coriander, but no kriek sourness. Some other possible spices, like fennel or grains of paradise, but them maybe thatís from yeast. Notes of mocha now. Best description I can grasp is a Belgian stout with Guinness essence added. Some banana ester toward the end. Really complex and enjoyable.

jvmiller (558) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JAN 31, 2009
Tap at Maxís in Baltimore. I was quite suprised, pleasantly, by this one. Roasty, smooth, sort of a blend between porter and stout. What struck me was the interesting fruity-sour character which reminded a bit of JP Bam Biere. Overall it was very easy to drink and quite tasty.

fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 31, 2009
Growler from Big Z. Aroma chocolatey with sweet red fruits, sweet earthy yeast. Flavor again very chocolatey with what to me came across as raspberry, though clearly now that I read the description it was the cherry. A gritty, almost charred, and somewhat nutty characteristic also develops. The yeast seems to give this stout a Belgian character, though perhaps thatís the Kriek playing a bigger role than I realized, though Iíd imagine its both. Not really important though, bottom line a great concoction of chocolate stoutiness and fruity Belgian goodness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
checkmatei1 (765) - Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 16, 2009
Draft at Caponeís: Poured a dark brown/black with a nice tan head. The aroma was dark fruits, bitter chocolate and coffee. The flavor was strong coffee, caramel and roasted chocolate. Overall, another beer worth drinking from Ommegang.