RATINGS: 2524   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   EST. CALORIES: 291   ABV: 9.7%
Three Philosophers is a remarkable limited edition strong ale brewed by Brewery Ommegang in response to a home brewer’s description of his dream beer. Realbeer.com, the internet’s largest beer website, hosted a contest called “Create a Great Beer.” Brewery Ommegang was chosen by Realbeer.com to brew the Belgian-style ale for the winning essayist. Noel Blake, a home brewer from Portland wrote the winning description for what his “dream beer” would be like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 8, 2005
Malty aroma, small head. Dark amber coloring, with some dark middle colors. Very bright flavor, not hoppy, not sweet, but something in between, I’m still trying to place it. Sweetened with...? I dunno, but it’s very high-pitched. Very nice though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheGreatKen (76) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 6, 2005
I haven’t had any like this before. This is a very strong beer that came in something similar to a wine bottle. It has a similar taste to the Stone lineup, but a little bold. This beer makes Arrogant Bastard look more drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Terminus (3409) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 4, 2005
12 oz bottle-pours a deep burgandy mahogony hue with some floaties that made its way from the bottle (i even poured it very gentily). looks like your basic quad with its off-white head. Light funk, cinnamon, candy sugar and belgian amber malt notes. flavors have alot of the cinnamon component and well balanced. dangerously drinkable for this style. some vineous notes come out in the finish with a hit of cheddar cheese as well. tasty and straight forward quad if you ask me!

ross (2128) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUL 3, 2005
opened this one to watch the pepsi 400 on tv, and sadly it was rain delayed for 3 hours so i was well done with this beer by the time the race even started. at any rate, this is brewed with lindemans lambic? interesting. pours out dark red in color, and smells fantastic. cherry, malty, and spicy. taste is smooth, hints of cherry, and no alcohol presence whatsoever. a really smooth, dangerously drinkable quad. certainly a new favorite beer for me in this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
sethbc (14) - USA - JUL 3, 2005
I was a little disappointed in this beer. Seems like the dreamcar that homer has his brother cerate on the simpsons -- just too much!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fluids (364) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 2, 2005
Lambic like with a little more alcohol. Highly recommended! Available at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Somerville, MA

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
puzzl (3257) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 29, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2005 Well, I certainly wouldn’t call this a "dream beer," but is a very nice beer nonetheless. Aroma is very vinous, a lot of cherry, maybe a touch of spice. Rather nice, actually. Appearance is a muddy dark brown, with little head but a fabulous layer of foam that sticks around long after the beer is gone. Flavor has a very malty profile; can definitely taste the cherry, and a small small touch of hops, though a little cloying all around. Unfortunately, I can’t describe the finish as nothing more than "tastes like ass." It’s not truely offensive but it doesn’t register as a nice taste at all to me. With a better finish this beer wouldve cleared a 4 easily. I don’t have much experience at all with lambics or quads so I can’t really say much about the blend, but this is still a nice beer that I think would do quite well in late autumn nights.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sregnar35 (1031) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - JUN 23, 2005
Nice, strong beer. Lots of flavors layered together in this one. Really fruity and lots of alcohol.

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 20, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2006 This beer always threw me a little. I know it is a blend and I can understand, but the flavors (both good) seemed like they weren’t unified. It is almost like sipping a nice belgian ale with the requisite spun sugar/caramel sweetness and a bit of all spice. Then in the same mouthful it is as if you took a sip of a cherry lambic. I know (after I drank it) that it is in fact a blend, but something about it seems rather unblended. It is two fantastic beers no doubt, but I would almost prefer them each on their own.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUN 16, 2005
First of all....ratebeer needs a better server. Ok, and now the beer. Got to enjoy this over the internet with me close mate and co-worker, yayforbeer(look below). I figure I will just show our chat during the course of drinking this excellent stuff...........................12:46AM im still on my first glass, this thing is like drinking some awsome flavoured vodka. my g/’fs laughing at me because im still on the first glasss................... i poured another already. let my wife taste it, she says it dont taste like beer...................... man this is like listerine. its killing 99% of the germs in my mouth.................... more like sherry................... ya.................... got cherry lambic in it................... def not lindemans tho................. 12:50AM.................. y stuff is ass in a glass.............. lol..............