overall

RATINGS: 2422   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 291   ABV: 9.7%
Three Philosophers is a remarkable limited edition strong ale brewed by Brewery Ommegang in response to a home brewer’s description of his dream beer. Realbeer.com, the internet’s largest beer website, hosted a contest called “Create a Great Beer.” Brewery Ommegang was chosen by Realbeer.com to brew the Belgian-style ale for the winning essayist. Noel Blake, a home brewer from Portland wrote the winning description for what his “dream beer” would be like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
badgerben (4490) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 20, 2004
Bottled 2004 Vintage; Tasted September 19, 2004: Solid mahogany color with a medium sized head. Nose of alcohol and bread. The taste was more of the same with a good dose of malt thrown in. I really couldn’t find the cherry taste. Good, but not what I was hoping for.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Metalhead (630) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - SEP 19, 2004
I really wanted my 100th rating to be something special and given the ratings on this It got my initial vote,until I tatsed this crap again. Had the 2004 fresh and thought it sucked.Now that it is around 8-9 mos old it still sucks. The best part was the look. Poured a beautiful hazy light brown. Beyond that everything about this beer is just so wrong. Mixing and ok lambic with a 2nd rate Belgian(and thats giving them credit) is not a good mix. Bad malty/dry caramally with dry cheap cherries is not a way to score. It was a fucking chore to finish this. I kept looking at it about halfway thru thinking,UUUGH,how much of this crap is left. For the same $ I coulda had 4 pints of Zhiguly Strong and a bag of chips. NEVER again!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
mustang3 (254) - Whitby, CANADA - SEP 18, 2004
My parents got this for me at premier. This is a wonderfully complex beer. IT was almost opaque reddish brown with a quickly dissipating white head. The flavour is initially brown sugar and yeast. There are hints of plums and the finish is fantastic with cherry and coacoa powder notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 13, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 9, 2004 2003 bottle consumed 9/2004. Pours a wonderful maroon-burgundy brown. Light orange and yellows swirl about. Good beige head that sticks to the sides long after it has disipated. Aroma has notes of concord grapes, plums, tobacco, tart cherries, ethanol, mossy/earthy yeast notes and of course, plenty of sweet caramel. Flavor starts out quite dry, moderately sour and really strikes me as more of a flemish sour ale. Though it dosent have nearly the bittersweet/sour flavors, it also dosent have the huge sweet malt profile of say, rochefort 10. A bit of a burnt cherry/ light acetone feel towards the finish, lots of strong alcohol flavors and seems like cherries soaked in extra strong brandy. Warming to room temp proved to allow more of the sweet malt I was looking for to arise, but it never got too dominant. Hints of raisins and chocolate round out the finish, with a dry, strange yeastiness at the end.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - SEP 13, 2004
This one is highly regarded, and I was dying to try it, but was a little disapointed. The lambic was undetectable to me, and the overall flavor of the beer was sort of bland. As it warmed an overwhelming metallic flavor dominated and was not pleasant at all.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - SEP 12, 2004
Nice brew. Really enjoyed the maltiness, and some hints of the kriek. Some pleasant yeastiness and great mouth-feel. This stuff is delicious and dangerous because it hides its alcohol very well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
heemer77 (5105) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - SEP 10, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2004 Huge head who’s color most reminds me of french vanilla ice cream. Body is dark brown at the top and slightly red at the bottom of my Chimay glass. Aroma is sweet and bready with apples, nutmeg and pepper. The taste is fairly dry. It is like dried apples that have a ton of cinnamon poured on top of them. Also has notes of anise. I had trouble pulling out the cherry notes from the kriek. A little drier than the other quads I have tried. Still, this is solid and think it would be even better with some aging to mellow out the spiciness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
edden (926) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 6, 2004
8/4/04: Bottle.
Garnet-brown body with a thick, clingy, malted-tan head. Small lace spots. Yeasty nose with a little fruit. Roasted malt flavor, hard raisin, touch of licorice with hints of black cherry. Tart, dry finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2004
Appearance: dark plum to eggplant in color, with visible "floaties" swimming about, a bit lighter near the bottom and around the sides, so far a very good approximation of the trappist abbey dubbel look, with a small, dunnish head, settling swiftly into a negligible collar. Aroma: sheer intoxication, the first sniff brings such myriad complex flavors that I have to reel back from it...rustic, raisins, cured meats?, dark spices and fruits, soft leather, moss...deep, dank, and transendently indulgent..oh, goodness, oh, WOW!...so much going on here, that’s it’s extraordinarily difficult to pretend to be detached or objective, this beer unfolds and envelops me, it knows it has me where I want to be had! ..now, how about a taste of it? Simply amazing! A sweet, treacly dose of fruit (grapes, plums, cherries) welcome hops, and a thick, powerful malt backbone, pulling it all together. Can’t quite taste the "dried apricot in the nose" and "pear on the palate" as noted on the label, at least I can’t claim to have discovered it on my own. I now relax, sit back, sip, savor...full-bodied as can be, long, rich, residing finish...no, "finish" is incorrect, for it never leaves the mouth, and I would never wish it to! A beer so powerful and seductive it consumes every sensory receptor, every inch of the head, all across the brain, down the fingers and toes...I nearly want to "cut & paste" my review of Westveleteren or St. Bernardus, for this experience so closely resembled that which I had with those fine Trappist ales.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
zach8270 (3516) - Henrietta, New York, USA - SEP 5, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2008 [12 oz. bottle] Hazy reddish/orange color with a thin tan head. Slightly musty aroma of cherries, alcohol and toffee. Smooth flavor of cherries, caramel and other sweet malts. The finish is very sweet and reminiscent of cherries and the sweet malts. Very creamy mouthfeel and easy to drink.