overall

RATINGS: 84   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Ommegang XV celebrates our 15th year and honors some of the worldís most desired ales. The dark Trappist ales of Belgium are made with the simplest of ingredients yet offer richly complex aromas and flavors. Ommegang XV uses on the finest malts, Ommegang yeast, and a touch of hops, creating a fine ale that will age superbly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
vyvvy (3904) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - MAR 29, 2013
Pours very dark brown with a tan head. The aroma has lots of figs, dates, anise, trappist yeastiness, brown sugar, dark toffee, raw dough and warm integrated alcohol. It has a medium / thick body with frothy carbonation. The flavor starts with dark maltiness (not bitter), fruit juice sweetness, berries, caramel and earthy Belgian yeast. The finish shows some alcohol, more yeastiness, lots of berries and earthiness. This was was decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gachupines (855) - USA - MAR 20, 2013
Deep, dark brown with a thick tan head. Aroma is slight dark fruit with a strong earthy malt character underneath. The flavor is dark roasted malt with a bit of dark fruit (maybe a bit of plum). Light toffee and a slightly burnt finish. Aftertaste is a little bitter, but not unpleasant.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Braudog (5596) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - MAR 7, 2013
Bottle. Deep, dark red, with a pillowy head of rollicking foam. Thereís an aroma of pie cherries up front, and it comes thru on the first sip. Thereís of course the standard ale-on-lees character here ... a hint of yeast, a hint of oak. Easy drinking for 9.6% all the way. Nice. (#4953, 3/7/2013)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericnixon (738) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 7, 2013
Iíve had my eye on this at Whole Foods for a while now, but only recently overcame my apprehension to spending a twenty on a beer. It is, after all, from Ommegang. After I purchased it, I carefully set it away in a secret and protected location to age properly. Six days later, the pop-up timer went off telling me it was ready (...either that or I just couldnít wait any longer). First, I had to open the decorative tin...which is a way to scream from the shelf, "Hey! You over there looking at pretentious wines! Look at me! Iím a wicked fancy beer you may also like!" Personally, Iím not crazy about stuff like that, but it is a beer created to celebrate their fifteenth anniversary, so I think itís ok they went a little nuts with the packaging. That being said, when I pulled the bottle out from the tin, I did find it in a nice bottle. I popped the cork, let it breathe, and poured two glasses. The light chocolate-colored foamy head dissipated in a fair amount of time, leaving a tracely faint mottled foam slick on top and around the edge of the glass. It has a nice caramely and malty nose that casually invited me in to sit for a spell and discuss the events of the day. Within short order, it slid on up to my side and smooth-talked me into tipping the glass for just a quick sip. The active mouthfeel sprightly danced over my tongue before quickly melting into a frictionless velvety complexiousness that breaded and carameled its way down leaving behind a faintly lingering hoppidity. It was a good half glass of gentle and intimate sips later when I discovered that the 9.6% had, somehow, slipped in there somewhere and was busy warming things up. While I didnít purposely let it in, it was fine. I didnít mind. Actually, the warmth was quite welcomed on this snowy night. Was it true to style? Absolutely. Was it good? Land oí lakes, yes! Sadly, as this was an anniversary special edition, itíll end up being merely a one-night stand kind of thing...the kind you think about fondly for years, which is why Iím taking my time with it and enjoying every last liquid moment we have together. Thank you, Ommegang.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
SudsMcDuff (5794) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - MAR 5, 2013
thanks thedm! .. pours a deep brown .. good foam .. . muddled yeast and off fruit .. . not enjoyable .. . . who could tell? for all I knew I could be stumbling into some kind of helpless preconfusional state characterized by the fear on the part of the sufferer that he may be stumbling into some kind of helpless preconfusional state. thatís the trouble with losing your mind; by the time itís gone, itís too late to get it back.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jbruner (2177) - Athens, Georgia, USA - FEB 27, 2013
Bottle shared at RBWG! Pours a golden brown with thin off-white head and light lacing. Aroma of dark fruity esters, caramel and toffee, and some light belgian yeast. Taste follows with a slight metallic aftertaste. Decent, but I want something more from a belgian strong than what I already expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
burg326 (3576) - Florida, USA - FEB 27, 2013
Bottle shared at RBWG, poured a caramel amber color with aromas of dark fruits, brown sugar, and some light yeast. Flavors are the same wih a light metallic aftertaste. Thanks dor he share whoever brought this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sledutah (4315) - Utah, USA - FEB 27, 2013
Bottle shared at the RBWGJX grand tasting
Appearance: Clear mahogany with a big beige head and good lacing
Dark fruit, brown sugar and some metallic
Ok

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TURDFERGUSON (3945) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 26, 2013
Bottle at RBWG. Pours a reddish light brown with a fast fading off white head. Nose is dark fruits, eatery, a bit of metal, raisins. Flavor is similar. Kinda getting sick of this style of beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
decaturstevo (4958) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - FEB 23, 2013
Brown pour with frothy tan head and lace. Aroma is dark brown sugar, dried fruit and an hinto abv. Sweet chocolaty malt, dark brown sugar, and an abv warmth. A bit thin and fizzy but pretty good.