overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4302   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hamirubi (564) - Waarschoot, BELGIUM - MAR 8, 2007
A dark trappist beer I like to drink when it the drink is a bit too warm. It gives an even more mature taste to it and the flavor really is pleasant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hombrepalo (1971) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 8, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2007 Had this a few years back, got me pretty buzzed quickly, and had to slow down, beer got warm and the taste got a bit funky, but other than that it is an above avrage beer,

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brouhaha (5) - Longueuil, CANADA - MAR 7, 2007 does not count
Drank 330ml 8 celcius. A bit of a bandage like and mossy aroma, notes of cereals. Nice dark orange color with abundant long lasting off-white foam head. Orange notes in flavour, champagne like maybe from wild yeast, some malt, not predominant. Fizzy palate with dry finish. Good, but not as mythic as some depict it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
churchill00 (154) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAR 6, 2007
While still very pleasing, this isn’t my favorite Trappist offering out there. I wouldn’t describe it as ’hoppy’, but there is a delicate citrus flavor that is very good indeed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hoser (372) - Cowtown, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 5, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 8, 2007 I don’t think I can write enough words to describe this brew. Love this young and although I am not going to rate the Petit Orval it is equally as interesting. I could sit and smell this beer all day long. Was at the Abbey in September 2005 for a private tour. Page 348 of Michael Jackson’s Great Beer Guide and only 302 of his 500 Classic Brews to go.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Willin8 (55) - Massapequa, New York, USA - MAR 5, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2007 2 year old bottle. Beautiful deep orange pour. Aroma is floral, a bit of citrus, lemon, and orange. It’s evident that it is very full-bodied and complex upon first tasting. Flavor is a mix of floral and citrus. I taste some berries as it warms. Mouthfeel is slightly fizzy and dry. Finish is crisp. Truly a delightful beer. The complexity is on the same level of some other trappist brews like Chimay yet it finishes so much lighter. I could drink this all night long if not for the price.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
FatherHinie (6) - Hudsonville, Michigan, USA - MAR 3, 2007 does not count
Frothy foamy off-white head in a trappest glass. Hazy orange brown appearance. Taste is bitter but a flavor I’m unsure of what. At first I liked it, maybe because it is "different{" but it wore quickly and I am not likely to reinvest at $4.99 a bottle. I think better values out there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mart (211) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 3, 2007
Bouteille 03/05/2006 12 degrés C. Robe orange-abricot voilée et magnifique. Mousse épaisse collant au verre. Arôme complexe d’agrumes et de houblons. Bien carbonatée, l’explosion de houblon se marie avec le goût de levure et une saveur légèrement acide, difficilement descriptable, mais au combien singulière et unique.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
lagomswedish (213) - Umeå, SWEDEN - MAR 2, 2007
Bottle @ Bishops Arms, Umeå. The first time I tried this beer I really didn’t like it. Which is why I’ve tried it again, and again, and again last night. And I still don’t like it. It’s a very pretty beer, and the initial aroma of funky orange and raisins is impressive. But the strange mix of herbs and hops leaves a medicinal flavour in my mouth I find difficult to appreciate. Unlike other trappists where every sip reveals something new, this beer just keeps telling me the same thing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
valpoaj (729) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAR 1, 2007
Vigorous, bubby pour...lasting white foam. Murky orange body I have not seen in other ales. Highly carbonated with an intense aroma that is too complex for me to put a finger on what all is in there, but there are hints of apples and other strong fruit scents, very intriguing! An enjoyable flavor is somewhat reminiscent of a cider with a tangy, sour palate...goes down very easily! Bready, sugary aftertaste with a light alcohol finish. A pleasant drink!