overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3735   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dorqui (2081) - Brescia, ITALY - NOV 22, 2004
Dark orange color. Much dense with a sturdy body and a lot structured. Determined bitter and great equilibrium in one beer fort from drink slowly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 18, 2004
bottle. cloudy amber fluffy head. this was a little more hoppy than i expected... but i did enjoy. for some reason nothing necessarily strikes me, perhaos this is more of a classic brew archtype... this tastes a little more complex when it warms

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerBaron (261) - Florida, USA - NOV 17, 2004
Bottle. Was less impressed with Orval as compared to the other Trappist brands I have tried. Cloudy and dark, fragrant aroma. Large white head with good lace. Has a malty taste with less spice than I expected. Kind of Cardboard like. Still scores very well for me. I guess a decent Trappist beer is better than most other styles out there.

Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 16, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2007 One of my personal favorites for comsumption regardless of the time of the year. This is the champagne of beers and among the best of the Trappist beers available outside of Europe.

Update 7 year old sample: This beer has a crispness commonly found in a fine Champagne. The best way to describe it is...WOW. Heaven on earth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Marko (3878) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - NOV 14, 2004
Wanted this to be my no. 100 beer, but just couldn’t wait (guess Samichlaus will have to do). Interesting (original) bottle. Smells a bit malty with a hint of caramel, even like wine at times (especially from the bottle). Huge creamy white-going-brown-but-far-from-it head. Beautiful orange colour that got cloudy near the top of the glass. Very lively and persistent carbonation. Taste... hoppy, slightly bready if I hold it in my mouth enough, spicy (coriander and more), maybe some fruity notes, and something I couldn’t place that lingers (but not very noticably) both in the smell and in the taste, I thought... aloe vera... but not sure now. Quite sour, but very nice aftertaste. An unique, interesting ale, well worth trying. It really suprised me when I found it in a store here. I just hope they still have some bottles...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
PetetheMeat (621) - Hove, DENMARK - NOV 12, 2004
UPDATED: APR 30, 2007 Amber, orange, unclear. Tall lasting off white head with some laces. High carbonation. Earthy, damp aroma. Dry flavour with a touch of roasted malts. Some underlying sourness. Slightly hoppy finish. Just great. A three year old bottle was sweeter and had distinct wheaty flavours. Even better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - NOV 11, 2004
Bracing aroma of green apples, sour yogurt, barnyard, hell, I get some cigarette butt and urine smell also. I feel like a carnivore about to consume this truely alive ale. Dense frothy white head fed by an assault of tiny bubbles passing through a nourishing looking amber liquid. It passes quick and dry over the palate and I try to get the layers of flavors. I first get a serious green tea flavor. There are brown bread and malt notes with some caramel. For a second it seems like an Amercan IPA but the sourness and aroma kill that thought. It finishes bitter and tart. Very unique.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DerWeg (1482) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 8, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 9, 2005 Found spruce or juniper-berry in the hop bitterness. Beautiful beer with utterly unique aroma and flavor.<P> (RE: I’d like to try the 330mls I’ve had lagering for over a year, compared to new.) <P> I found one year smoothed out the almost bandaid-like medicinal aroma and dryness. It made the brew subtler and more complex with sweeter notes of flavor blooming and cascading after each sip. I would really give this one year or more to settle down, as you may enjoy something altogether different. I don’t mind the beer ’raw’ but I totally understand the common objections.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
davidflores99 (225) - Long Beach, California, USA - NOV 8, 2004
Hmmm, wasn’t too impressed by this brew, but it went down very smoothly. It poured a light amber brown color and had a creamy head. Aroma was slightly hoppy and spicey. Flavor was dry and smooth, also little hops and spices, wasn’t great, but wasn’t bad.

ogivlado (5539) - Zagreb, CROATIA - NOV 8, 2004
Bottled(330ml). -cloudly amber coloured, medium rich head, strong, dry hops aroma with barnyard and spices, fresh acidic finish