overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3783   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GarethYoung (1109) - Glasgow, SCOTLAND - FEB 1, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2005 [bottle from peckhams] Orval pours a lasting rocky head which nestles atop a midly foggy orange/rose beer. It has beautifully blended aromas of pine and parma violets, perfume with lots of floral notes as well, there is also a distinct yeastines and a background medicinal quality. the body is light and sparkling and the finish is bone dry with just a touch of bitterness. utterly complex, utterly unique, utterly brilliant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
cathcacr (634) - Oregon, USA - FEB 1, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2005 Iím biased, and may have gotten a sub-optimal bottle. (Bottled 1/28/03.) Iím an IPA junkie, and even managed to revel in Rochefort 10, but this didnít do much for my unquenched palate. Lots of dryness, lots of bubbly carbonation making a bubbly, gassy feeling in líestomach. Primo appearance, cross between foamy and bubbly, gets 5/5 just because it looks as good as those IPAs I give a 5/5 to. I took this one in slowly to get it as it warms, and I succeeded only in getting a warmer dryness and bubbliness. Still thin-and-lite feeling, very little of the complexity the sixth-sensers around here detect. Perhaps even drier than British humor? Is Withnail reallly nearly as funny as Lebowski?

(Maybe I didnít let it warm enough? I only started to pick up hints of pleasant flavor at the very tail end of the glass. Still, I had no such problem with Roche 10. Maybe what flavor there was settled towards the bottom....)

Not for me at this point in time. I tried to be as lenient in my ratings as my subjective enjoyment would allow, but it wonít come out to the degree of reverence the consensus has given this one. Reminds me of Ozu and Antonioni . . .

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
nick76 (4213) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 1, 2005
The first thing you notice is the huge head and the cloudy light brown color of this ale. Next you detect the aroma which in this case is a little like old cheese or maybe stinky feet (could be a yeast issue). The taste is fruity almost citrus like with a hint of licorice and has a delightfully strong hop but without the usual bite. The aftertaste is somewhat peppery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IMtheOptimator (1161) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - JAN 30, 2005
Poured a murky amber with a tall creamy white head that never completely dissipated. Aroma is light spice and grass... very unique. Probably would take some getting used to. Taste is just as unique... very tart and acidic, with a large spice character and an herbal grassy finish. Good mouthfeel. The tartness makes this beer very refreshing, but I can see why some people would find it distasteful.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - JAN 30, 2005
(bottle) Huge head, bordering on the ridiculous. Taste, as I expected, was that of a fairly mild Belgian. A little less sweet and a little more hoppy than Iíd generally prefer, but a very good beer anyway.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JAN 28, 2005
Drink by date = 6/06. Poured a hazy orangish-amber, with a Big frothy white head. The aroma was (I swear) banana pudding with citrus (orange?) and other lite spiceyness. Much less Belgian than I expected. Wood, yeast, lite malt and dryish hops at the finish. Overall the body was fine, and I would describe the whole beer as dry. I think I see why people really like this beer, and I suppose I can see why this might hit the top of some peoples chart. I liked it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ray1975 (251) - Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 28, 2005
Poured a dark cloudy orange color with a very large white fluffy head. This thing has a head like a rootbeer float!! aroma of breadiness and floral hops.. Nice malty flavor with a lemony/orange hoppy flavor. Actually everytime I take a drink it seems like I detect some other flavors but I canít pinpoint them all. The monks know how to make a good brew.

mustang3 (254) - Whitby, CANADA - JAN 27, 2005
Finally hit on a good bottle from the LCBO. Amber orangey colour with a 2 finger white head. Great herbal nose. I didnít detect any citrusy hoppiness, but a wonderful spicy flavour, I canít pick out the individual flavours but the complexity is wonderful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JAN 27, 2005
Bottle: Picked this up last night on my way home from work. Needed a nice release from the idiots I dealt with at work. Poured into a goblet style glass, this beer was orange! Well more hazy dark orange. Nice head that went away at the right time. First taste was hoppy and dry and laxed out into a mouthfull of orange, lemon, grapefruit. Some peppery hints. This beer lost me towards the end though. The last 5 sips turned into a double greyhound ( Vodka + Grapefruit juice ) and I swear the last sip was straight vodka...Maybe I drank it too cold.!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
CampbellWilson (533) - SCOTLAND - JAN 25, 2005
I absolutely love this. Bottle from Ibis Hotel, Brugge (!). Pours lovely hazy dark orange colour, persistant rocky head. Aroma of íOrvalí - very distinctive Brett, cirus hop, orange peel. Great mouthfeel, cirus, hoppy, resinous taste with long hoppy grapefruit aftertaste. Fantabulous! Served a little cold for my preference, but still bloody great and it improved as it warmed.