Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4155   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 12, 2006
Beautiful hazy orange pour with a large white head. Yeasty spicy Belgian nose. Not my favorite Trappist ... a bit too dry, a bit too woody / cedary and spicy / peppery for me. Makes an interesting

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3288) - Tennessee, USA - MAY 10, 2006
Slightly hazy dirty orange colored body with a pillowy white head. Yeasty Belgian aroma of malt with some light spice and fruity apple. Dry start that finishes with some tartness. Highly carbonated spritzy mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ironryan22 (52) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 8, 2006
hoppy, light and fruity..this is a belge for the summer! has been summed up well by others..a unique, complex taste. definately a belge i will go back to.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jb (2635) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 6, 2006
Hazy dark orange with a decent whitish head. Bit of yeast in the aroma along with primarily an orange woody aroma. I didnít notice a sharp or sour taste. Mine was on the mellow side. Creamy mouthfeel with a bit of hops at the end and a very neutral finish. Enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
nrdoughty (3) - London, ENGLAND - MAY 6, 2006 does not count
Massive long-lasting head, colour ranging from light and cloudy in the bottom to dark amber in the top of the glass. Smerlls of fruit - raspberry, cinnamon and honey - christmas spices. The initial taste was suprisingly sour. With a bit of air after 3 to 4 minutes of pouring the sourness dissipated leaving a sharpish taste with a hint of wheat in the aftertaste. The bottle itself was brown glass in a curved style reminiscent of the blue Tynant water bottles. The beer becomes fuller-tasting with more of a cherry hint after warming a few degrees. The foam is the best part of this beer. You could eat it with a spoon!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
WisconsinBeer (716) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Perfect amber color with small chunks of yeast floating around. Massive foamy head that looks like whipped egg whites. Smooth mild malts and bready yeastiness to begin followed by a dry peppery finish. Behind all of this there seems to be some caramel syrup and hints of fruitiness. I enjoyed the complexity and depth of flavor, which seemed to change as I got further into the glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ibrew2or3 (7661) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAY 3, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2006 6.9% ABV. Hazy light amber color with white whipped cream head. Strong classic Orval aroma of mostly malts then spice and hops. The taste is really nice. I get a complex mix of malt flavors accented with some spice and hops. I canít place which spice. High carbonation. The taste ended with a really pleasant light malty aftertaste. I remember this being a tasty beer last time I tried it 15 yrs ago. Yumm. It tastes excellent now.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 3, 2006
I drank a one month old bottle. At first when I poured it and sampled it, I thought it was garbage. What I find with most Belgians is you have to let them sit for awhile and get warmed up. After a few minutes the aroma and flavor changed alot. It had a dry, hoppy smell with light notes of tart fruit. This reddish golden pour had a big white frothy head. It was light and hoppy with alot of complex notes. Later I sensed apple and cinnammon. It was almost burning, that is how spicy the cinnammon tasted. Very smooth and dry.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Bartzilla (586) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 1, 2006
I finally decided to plunk down my hard earned cash and try this supremely overrated beer. Maybe I got a bad bottle but I definitely wasnít impressed. I think this is more of a status thing for some people. Iíll take a Duvel or Chimay over this any day. It was extremely bitter and not in a good hoppy way. Iíve never drank model paint before, but I imagine it wouldnít taste too different than this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Zeswaft (1505) - Charleston, South Carolina, USA - APR 26, 2006
Bottled: 06/30/2005. Pours copper color with a big frothy white head. Real sour/cheesy lambic aroma. Quite effervescent. Flavor is pretty unapparent and watery, at least for a belgian. Quite sour and bitter. A little bit of woody taste. Unspectacular to say the least. Almost a little bad. I see itís cellarable for 5 years. Maybe this isnít good fresh...or 10 months old. I donít know where the high rating comes from. This bottle says 6.9% abv.