overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3748   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
zach8270 (3376) - Henrietta, New York, USA - JUN 28, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2008 [bottle - Great European Beerfest 8, Sharp Edge Tavern - East Liberty, PA] Poured a dark copper color with a very thin head. Rich floral aroma with a lot of citrus underneath. Very full flavor with lots of citrus and sweet hops. Crisp taste with a sweet and slightly peppery hop finish.

jimmack (1222) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JUN 27, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2004 Great orange color. Citrusy, musty bouquet. Nicely hopped with floral and herbal flavors. Clean, dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 27, 2004
I wanted to like this. I really did. The first thing that I want to say about this beer is that there is a lot of complexities that I can in no way describe. Because of that My rating will probably not give it justice. The nose is very spicy and fruity particualry apple skins. The taste is ripe with apples and tartness. Skinny and firm with a gentleness to it. The body is silky with a touch of kick to it. Interesting, but I dont want to get a headache trying to figure out what is in this thing when I drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JUN 25, 2004
poured a golden amber. smelled of light fruits, very champagne like. as soon as the taste hit my mouth i decided this was beers answer to champagne. not anything like i expected, not that i knew what to expect. but compared to my most recent belgian brews it was way off the mark. granted rochefort, and westvleteren, and st bernardus are rough to compete with, but this was barely a beer. i felt as if though it was one of those cheap wines you get at the beginning of an american wedding. not impressed at all. maybe its one you have to become accustomed to before you really like it, but as of now...... no thanks

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lachesis (756) - St Idesbald, BELGIUM - JUN 23, 2004
A great Belgian classic,with a noble lightamber color and a nice fluffy froth.It has a complex smell off noble hops and also a fine fruity side.This beer has a fullbodied hoppy taste and light complex sweetness in the end.The lingering afthertaste is drying out in a fine bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 22, 2004
Bottle From Riley’s in Madison. Cloudy Orange Coloring. Fruity. White Head. A little tangy/bitter at the end. A wonderful beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
arjoseph (639) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2008 Re-Rate. What a difference it makes having this in Belgium. On my last trip there, I had a bottle of this with lunch at some random cafe off the square in Brussels (not listed in the Places section and not the type of place beer lovers search out). It was just a normal bar, but they had Orval, and the bottle itself had some dust on it like they had been cellaring it for awhile. The waiter/bartender was thrilled that someone ordered it. In short: amazing. Smells: brett, sour lime, a bit of white pepper; it was light, crisp, and playful in the nostrils. Sour apples and yeast at first on the medium body with perfect carbonation. Finish turned spicy, with corriander and noble hops still riding a last ditch fizziness and tickling the top of the tongue. The acidity blended perfectly with the hops and the spices (not to mention the malt foundation that brought it all together on the same platform). Feel was both dry and refreshing, being both something I wanted to sip and enjoy and something I wanted to drink to quench my thirst. In all, this was like wonderfully spiced, dry and bitter grapefruit juice, but not like the grapefruit you’ll get in west-coast USA IPAs. Hazy ruby orange in the glass with a creamy egg merengue head. Now I get what all the fuss is about. 8/5/9/5/18

Original Rating. Bottle into Duvel tulip glass; bought at Binny’s at Grand and Wells, 6/2004. Great smell: Banana, apples, caramel, and some prickly alcohol. Rocky white head was mostly lasting and huge (at least, it diminished very slowly). When it got to manageable size, I could see that the lacing was gorgeous. In the glass it was ruddy orange with visible yeast; great looking beer. I was a bit disappointed with the taste. I will admit that I probably started the beer when it was a bit too cold, because it got better as it warmed in the glass, but over all, I was expecting exceptional, and it was just really good. It started out caramel apple with fizzy carbonation, with a weird spiciness that seemed like mint in the finish. It wasn’t creamy; tasted kind of like orange rinds; was light bodied and crisp; and there were dry hops on the finish. As it got warmer, the carbonation wasn’t as pronounced (which was nice, because it seemed too fizzy to begin with), and the hops became more prominent (which was good). The same mintiness stayed. Good Belgian ale, but not close to others I’ve had. 8/5/7/3/16 = 3.9

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lilannie (384) - Adamstown, Maryland, USA - JUN 19, 2004
Aroma: sweet grapes, grape scented markers, oak barrels, ckittles candies, some yeast, slight floral aroma, pineapple, and bubble gum. Very pleasant scents overall.
Appearance: murky, baby-poop brown color, large creamy head, lacing
Flavor: not as bold as I expected--slight candy flavors, spiciness--chamolile and pumpkin spices, flavor slight watered down though
Palate: sweet, tangy bite for aftertaste, this followed by a lingering spiciness
Overall: more of a summer beer; not worth the USD 4.99 for though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - JUN 17, 2004
Aroma of fruit, including banana and cantaloupe; with some sweet bready nose thrown in, and the slightest, lightest hint of hop; very complex. Appears with a hazy burnt orange color, and with a high rocky off-white head. Flavor is disappointing to me; primarily horsey with some bready malt. Palate is dry as a desert with a very strong effervescence; almost brut-like. Overall, this beer, at least to me, seems like even less than the sum of its parts. Perhaps this style just isn’t for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rudolf (2340) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2005 Re-rate 8/05. numbers are very similar, words are very different. Nose is reminiscent of Cantillon & Fantome. Funky lemon candy with yeasty oak, sour cherries, grape & wheat. Golden body with a fluffy white head floating there. Quite tart/sour apple at first. Very musty - reminds me of the smell of a local cider mill. Lemon, yeast, oak, cherry, grape. Incredibly light mouthfeel - almost like it isn’t there. ------- rating: I don’t have much of a review here. I had this on the night of my 26th birthday. I don’t even remember what I had before this, tho I know that there was a goblet of stone IS as well as a pitcher of Hop Rod Rye. For aroma I wrote "slightly belgian" -- what the heck does that mean? Smooth body, oaky flavor. Bitter cherries with a dry/sour bitter finish. I shouldn’t buy $10 bottles of beer at a bar when I’m this bombed..