overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3981   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - JUN 11, 2005
Light bodied. Citrus comes through, and it has a lot of carbonation. I was somewhat disappointed considering this brews reputation. I’ll try it again, and hopefully I’ll be more impressed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUN 11, 2005
Very Belgian banana in the nose with some perfumy hops. Golden amber in color with a big, pillowy head. Very tingly, carbonated mouthfeel. Flavors of bubblegum, some citric hops, with a medium body. Very dry in character. It’s decent, that is for sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 10, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2006 (Bottled 7-10-2004, 6.8% ABV, and a follow-up, bottled 4-1-2005, hence the updated rating.)

A beautiful semi-hazy copper color with a thick, tall, frothy and dense head. Looks majestic in the trappist glass. Aroma is yeast, cloves and pepper. Numerous farmhouse characteristics with some accents of chicken feed. Flavor is pepper, cloves and bitter hops, giving a dramatic introduction into the realm of Orval. Cuttingly crisp. Stingingly herbal, like taking a chomp out of suspended hairspray. Pervasive, aggressive body that counters a what normally would be a thin viscosity. Alive, and hard to assess individual elements, suffice to say it’s harmonious. Finish is ringing and singing with crispness. Lovely musky aftertaste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
robertjm (781) - Albany, California, USA - JUN 9, 2005
I just don’t get it. Every time I try this beer it underwhelms me. Beautiful heavy head which collapses in a matter of a few minutes. Kinda dark golden/amber color. Raisinny taste, though not very powerful. Doesn’t taste alcoholy. It doesn’t make me say, "WOW!!" which is what I’d expect from the reputation. Will I try it again? Sure, about the time I forget how much it underwhelmed me the last time. :-( I’d rather drink Chimay!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ashbeero (51) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUN 9, 2005
Slightly orage/amber coloured cloudy beer. Off white head that is,dense and long lasting. Aroma of noble hops and strong fruit. Very complex flavours inclusive of strong hops, some citrus notes, malty and almost spicy. Relatively dry finish and slightly bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
asheft (2622) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 5, 2005
Slightly hazy copper with a thick, rocky, off-white head that doesn’t last but forms a fuzzy lace. The aroma is a remarkable and spicy blend of sweet cinnamon, ginger, banana, sweet malt, and a touch of horseblanket farmhousiness. The flavour I found quite dry with a woody bitterness mixed with grapes and ginger. I found this one a bit too bitter, but I don’t remember that from the last bottle I tried (improper storage?). Also, some of the alcohol came out in the flavour. Light body with tons of carbon dioxide and a little warming--also a touch astringent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
notwoohoo (109) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 2, 2005
Bottle, consumed from Orval goblet. Sweet aroma with a slight hint of brett (a slight bit of leather, horse-blanket possibly) and wonderful noble hops. The taste is good, not all that I anticipated from the aroma, but good nonetheless. The hop flavor is rather subdued, probably from the brett as well as the alcohol (my bottle was cellared for two years accorinding to who I got it from). The carbonation was heavy, I assume due to the brett and yeast consuming the residual sugars in the beer. Overall a great beer, to be eaten with nice beef dishes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUN 1, 2005
Bottle. Very amber in color, with an extremely large, beige head. Sweet aroma, with hints of citrus, and the carbonation comes through in the aroma. Flavor is not what I expected. Almost a burnt flavor, with a quick drop-off int the shallow aftertaste. Overall, not bad, just not what I was expecting. Definitely worth getting a bottle, but not something I would order at the pub.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
schepers (32) - Limburg, NETHERLANDS - MAY 31, 2005
Bottle, Amber color, hazy some deposit. White head.Very fruity aroma, citrus. Taste is fruity, again citrus, orange, little bit dry and sour in the aftertaste fresh. I like this beer it is quite different from other beers i tried, it is one of my favourites that is for sure. Nice perrier-ish bottle by the way....

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
roder60 (1288) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 28, 2005
I really wasn’t thrilled with this beer, especially after reading all of the rave reviews about it. Poured a cloudy dark gold with a small amount of lacy offwhite head. Aroma is fruity, spicy, and a tad bit hayish. Flavor was much more crisp and fruity than most belgians I’ve tried. Dry spicy finish which was an interesting mix with the fruiy flavor. Overall, I thought it was decent, not great, especially for the price.