overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3658   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jutuahol (189) - Jyväskylä, FINLAND - OCT 30, 2003
Brown in color, sparkling, huge head. Spicy, notes of orange, malty, bit alcohol-like nose. Medium body, spicy, notes of orange, moderate bitter, complex, bit sweet. Bitter and long finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kinz (3188) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Amazingly complex beer, never strikes me the same twice, and is a true chameleon, changing dramatically as it warms. Young bottle, 8 months and 9 days old. Medium coppery orange, a bit hazy, with a head like stiff beaten egg whites. Aroma is sour, pungent, barnyard, with a hint of dried cherries and apricot pits. The flavor is somewhat sour, definitely a dry finish. Cherries, minerals, a bit of herbal medicine, a touch of plain yogurt, and bitterness on the finish. Medicinal, slate, dried cherries, and almonds come through stronger than the barnyard notes as the beer warms. Challenging, suitably worthy of awe.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 28, 2003
Well, its about that time to get to one of the classics. Perfect deep orange hue. Bretty, sour, hoppy nose. Giant "iceburg-like" floating yeast laden head. This is trappist damn it, and it is pretty damn close to perfection. Pleasant malts, perfect hourglass body, yeasty, almost barnyard sour, finishing with herbal hops, almost minty. We all know it as one of the best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Huuuuuge cookie-brown head. Smells like bananas and pepper - all pepper. Taste matches the aroma. I can see why it's Oakes's favourite, but I still think the westie and roch are a little bit more complex. (Of course, I'll try them all again once I've had 3000+ beers).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ulla (17) - Halmstad, Nebraska, SWEDEN - OCT 14, 2003
Strong in the nose with a scented aroma. Full-bodied and sweet-sour in the palate with a dry end if you keep the bottles for some years. I keep my bottles for at least 2 years, before drinking.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - OCT 13, 2003
Bottled, Beirodrome, Islington, London. Tan brown body, with a shiny white head. Sharply flavoured, sour & tart. As fly points out the beer changes dramatically with its temperature. Enjoyable and challenging rate.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
NathanJ (42) - Houston, Texas, USA - OCT 10, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2003 poured with a murky golden look. Tastes of cider with a slight astringent undertone and hints of fruit (peach), definietly lively my second belgian, and definitely not my last. probably not one I'd want all the time, but a good example of how varied beers can taste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - OCT 9, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2004 I only noticed how warm it should be served after I opened the bottle and didn't want it standing around for too long after opening. Anyway, I pored this nectar into a Chimay grail and I'm already impressed. The head forms beautifully, a light beige full creamy top that slowly fades to a nice medium head leaving some lacing. How to describe the taste? Well... theres quite a hint of alcohol there despite a modest ABV compared to many abbey ales. Not inoffensive, I actually quite liked it. Otherwise I was somewhat surprised by a somewhat sour flavour, but the aftertaste was modest and bitter. If there's any disappointment then it's the modest body. Still, a different abbey ale to the ones I've known and I'll probably have more of this once in a while. Re-rate: It's a strange brew. Good but strange really. I think I'll try aging a few. Re-re-rate? Well, really, this time I seem to have gotten a really good bottle and drank it at a proper temperature. Cracking brew. It gets better... This must be the beer I (and others!) re-rate the most. I'll spare you more descriptions of this wondrous liquid.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fly (1394) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - OCT 6, 2003
What's the big deal about this? So some monk strains the stuff through the sleeve of his robe and people think a miracle has happened? Alright enough blasphemy. Not sure how long ago it was that I had this. Well, certainly long enough that the memory didn't register at all correctly. Wow - to say the least. I can see how it might put many off as just letting it warm a bit changed it so much for me. A bit brash and tart at first, but oh what lurks beneath. Hard not to keep from wondering if others cultivated yeast from this as the flavor reminds me of many others. Love the way it has an ever so slightly sweet reply to the dry/tart/bitterness. Nothing more I can imagine adding that hasn't been said.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - OCT 5, 2003
ok this is the second time ive had this.. the first time was a hell of a lot better, this time it seems to be a little fluffed out or pissy tasting, definitely can tell its dry hopped, mellow but a bit funky tasting the first time it tasted like a perfect ipa/wit combo.. i guess my future beholds more orvals to get it right