Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4126   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
wrecktem (37) - USA - DEC 27, 2005
Very pronounced foamy head. Super-hoppy aroma. Flavor is extremely dry and tongue-tinglingly hoppy with hints of grape. An extremely satisfying beer, one of my favorites.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2005
Bottle. Extremely cloudy red brown - chunks of swirling clouds. Nice fizzy off white head. Skunky grapefruit aroma, skunk in a not quite bad way, like a clove fruit skunk but wonder if somethings gone wrong? It smells potent and weird, thatís for sure. Tastes extremely medicinal and odd. Sour, ashes. Mine is not sweet or fruity at all. Suspect I got a bad bottle or batch. I bought it froma fridge case at Latimer deli and had it in my fridge for a month. This is not good though. I must have got screwed, this canít be in the 98th percentile with 866 ratings if everyoneís tastes like mine did. I agree with the guy who noted metal tastes and stale hops. Like an unsweetened grpefruit juice, a not quite ripe grapefruit perhaps. It is tart, but I donít see the weet. I donít understand this beerís appeal and I think Iím pretty open minded.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pineypower (2791) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - DEC 21, 2005
Had this one before, but figured I better have the other one in my fridge in order to rate it. Pours out a very nice golden color with a thick white head. The aroma is sweet and fruity. Very drinkable sweet flavor of fruits (canít place all of them) and some malt and maybe a bit of sugary taste on the finish. A very good brew, could drink this stuff all night...that is if I had the money to do that

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - DEC 20, 2005
Bottle. Medium gold color with white head. Wonderfully complex sour nose, especially as it warms, of citrus, cherries, yeasty bread, clove spice, and an overall astringent sour funkiness. Flavor follows, though is a little sweeter and maltier than I expected from the aroma. Dry and tart throughout, especially in the finish. Fantastic stuff, glad it lived up to the hype.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - DEC 19, 2005
330ml - Happy birthday to me! - Aroma is yeasty bread dough, clove, bubblegum, banana, and other spices. I could stay with my nose in the glass all day. Pours bubbly yellow-brown with a thick lasting head and great lacing. Flavor is very similar to aroma with more of a hop presence and a bit spicier. Palate is crisp and smooth. A great brew worthy of itís reputation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
larsga (6816) - Oslo, NORWAY - DEC 18, 2005
Offwhite, creamy medium head with larger bubbles. Hazy pale orange-red body with ongoing carbonation. Eccentric aroma that is a harmonic vinuous blend of caramel and earth. Sourish metal taste with some bitterness and notes of stale hops. Slightly watery. Aftertaste simply disappears. Refreshing, but I have to admit that this is a world classic I donít really enjoy that much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Juelze (1141) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 17, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2008 Pours a murky brown with big, white, pillowy head. Aroma is spicy, almost peppery but it has a fresh air smell to it. Taste is light hops up front followed by fresh cut straw and light fruit taste. However, the flavors and mouthfeel just make this beer not worth the price. It always seems like I?m drinking liquified dust bunny popcorn farts. It tastes too yeasty and is way to try to be enjoyable with the lack of flavor going on. 2/08 Rerate: Ok, Iíve this beer at least a dozen times and have been let down every single time. Today, it was different. The bottle I had was splendid! Aroma and taste were of light belgian spice, candied sugar, fruit, floral hops all wrapped up with brett. I finally got a bottle that had all of these complexities perfectly balanced. Excellent!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
newtrip (54) - USA - DEC 14, 2005
Poured with large off-white creamy and yet somewhat rocky head that showed tons of lacing. Nose is different, yeasty and citrusy maybe? Taste is spicy, slightly bitter, slightly sour and dry. Not bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hughie (3996) - Bedford, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - DEC 12, 2005
I can see why people like this beer - itís easy to drink. Itís a good looking hazy orange with a large white head, and a musty-yeasty aroma with plenty of hops. When it comes to flavour I didnít detect the nuances I was expecting. There was a slight fruitiness and a pleasant bitter hit, but I felt inclined to drink it quickly rather than savour the complex profundities as I do with other Trappist beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
beervana (781) - Libertyville, Illinois, USA - DEC 12, 2005
11.2 oz brown bottle purchased at Armanettiís, Mundelein, IL. ABV 6.9%. Bottled on 4/1/05 and opened on 12/3/05. Nice fruity aroma. Clear amber hued ale having a long-lasting white head with good lacing. Medium bodied that starts dry with dried fruit, musty and leather flavors. Some sharpness and sour notes. Finishes dry with slight malt aftertaste. A drinkable sour Belgium ale that is a definite acquired taste.