overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3662   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
brewboy (152) - AUSTRALIA - MAY 5, 2003
Amber colour on the pour with hints of spices on the nose. Not a mouth watering ale, but pleasant all the same with a frothy head that lasts and lasts. Was attracted to the unique bottle shape.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAY 5, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2003 Nice Belgian Ale. Orange flavor with a candy type of taste.Good aroma and a head that last for ever. Will surely try this one again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
japet (38) - DENMARK - MAY 3, 2003
A very famous beer, but the flavor was a little bit too bitter for me. Nice head and very much body. I prefer the darker belgian beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - MAY 1, 2003
It took me three bottle of this to come to a conclusion.But,with Westy blond,this is my favorite Trappist beer. Appearance just like above pic. Huge grassy,hop aromas.Subtle earthy,lightly sweet,malt aromas and a bit of a great yeast. Mouthfeel is full of expansive bubbles,with quit a suffice body. Earthy,bready malts glide over the tounge while hops tickle the roof of the mouth.Hops linger in the mouth and it the finish.Finish has a great nutty,yeastiness to it as well.So drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElGaucho (2161) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - APR 27, 2003
Bottle. Sweet and very Belgian in the nose. Huge head, mostly lasting. Amber, murky body. Excellent lace. High points for the appearance. Dry and wheaty flavor. This is a quality beer, though I believe I would have enjoyed it more served a little colder. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - APR 16, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2004 This is unlike any other beer I've ever had in my 17+ years of enjoying fine craft beer. The head on this beer is unbelievable. I poured this beer in it's dedicated Orval glass and drank it slowly which lasted about 20-30 minutes. The head stayed at a peak the entire duration and even after the last sip, it was still hanging on to the side of the chalice for it's dear life. The flavor was so unique and complex that it will most likely require several additional samplings to accurately define what I'm sensing. Burnt sugar, stale fruit, earthy malty taste. I don't know, perhaps my palate doesn't possess the sophistication for this one. What I do know is that It was a most enjoyable if not a religious experience and I look forward to the next. Hmmm, beer as a religion. What a concept.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 15, 2003
One of my favorite Trappist Ales. This is a delicious, beautiful Belgian. It has a gorgeous color, beautiful head, not quite as much carbonation as I like in a Belgian, but otherwise mouthfeel is perfect. Taste is incredible with all sorts of complex flavors including (am I crazy?) olives! Love it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - APR 13, 2003
This beer comes in one of the coolest bottles I've ever purchased, but I could not stand the flavor. It was too strong of something - not sure what, but I sure didn't like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ungstrup (28448) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - APR 12, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2010 An unclear orange beer with a fantastic head. The aroma is sweet with notes of fruit, orange, and other spices. The flavor is sweet with notes of orange, fruit, yeast, cinnamon, and other spices. It ends on a nice bitterness combined with an acidic note. A great beer - but not the best of the trappists.

An early ’90’s bottle - best before 10/12/93 and at 5.2% ABV, sampled in 2010. An unclear dark golden with a fine off-white head. The aroma has notes of lemon, brettanomyces, and lacto acid. The flavor is very dry with notes of brettanomyces, some wood and lemon on a lightly malty back ground, leading to a dry and lightly tart finish. I prefer them fresher (hophead), but it sure holds up 7/3/7/3/14=3.4

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
VTDeerHunter (51) - Vermont, USA - APR 12, 2003
This is my first tasting ever and I overpoured, and thus some of the precious nectar...Very nice big head. Clear and orange/caramel colored. Scent of fruit and spice. Nice fruitiness with an immediate hoppy bitterness, though it's not overpowering. Wow, this is really good.