overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3884   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DocLock (8054) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 14, 2004
#400 for the doctor of fermented juices! I wanted a special beer for this occasion, so I paid 5 bucks for a 12 ouncer of this one. Gotta love those corrupt PA politicians! I used a Duvel tulip glass (I know, I know, I don't have an Orval glass). Pours great orange color, with a lot of carbonation and a HUGE foamy head. The head on this beer is bigger than George W Bushes...and if I make a mistake on this rating, at least I will admit it. Huge aroma here, apples, spice, fruit, banana, mead, earthy, chardonnay, cognac. First taste is very dry, with hints of malt, hops, fruit, and spice. Finishes smooth and very dry, with some bitter and fruit characteristics. I like this beer, but I think it is somewhat overrated. In fact, I can honestly say that it is NOT worth 5-6 bucks for a 12 oz. bottle. On the other hand, I am rating it a 3.9, and that speaks for itself. You cannot argue with this beer's complexity of aroma and flavor. The bottle is cool, too. I'm glad to add it to my bottle collection. I won't buy it again, but I enjoyed the experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
emotv (351) - Izmir, TURKEY - APR 14, 2004
Delicious smell like a gum.Beatifıll head.Very Sweet.Very good beer.One of the best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 11, 2004
A masterpiece! Poured into my Orval glass, which has never actually seen Orval until now. Hazy burnt orange, fluffy lasting white head. Fuzzy fruit, flowers, spice, sweet malt, some hops in the nose. Citric fruit for hops, yeasty, tart, and just so complex. I know I'm probably still missing something here. Nice balance during, but hops win out at the very end. Soft carbonation, fluffy on the palate, dry hoppy finish. Unreal. I can't beleive how long I waited to try this. No clue why as to why...a true Belgian must!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - APR 8, 2004
Wow. That's short for I can smell it from across the room and I can still taste the tangerine aftertaste 10 minutes after my last sip. Beautiful hazy orange-amber with a creamy white head that shifts shapes deliciously as it tempts you. At first you think it should be classed a Flemish Ale, but then a touch of malt makes you reconsider. Then it drinks like a hopped-up citrus attack and you wonder if that's all for a brief moment - but no, there emerges some malts before the finish I spoke of really grabs you. Wow.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 7, 2004
I'll sum up my opinion of this beer in one word: challenging. And now for a long-winded explanation. It took several tastings of this beer for me to even get close to properly rating it. And even now I struggle to articulate my opinions and rating of this truly unique brew. Pours a bright orange and ruby color, with an enormous and persistant off-white head comprised of huge bubbles at first that give way to softer more delicate ones. This is the first 10 I've given for aroma, it's just so complex and potent; plenty of lambic qualities, flowers and raspberries, cake frosting, apple pie, more hops than average Belgian ale. And now for the flavor: intense bitterness, sharp acidity at times, white wine, malty rich, alcohol, warming, liveley carbonation; finish has peanuts(?!?!), completely dry. I found new flavors even a minute after taking a sip. Simply astounding.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - APR 7, 2004
This tops my list. Extremely smooth and effervescent. Huge creamy white head billowing over the glass with an orange tinge of color to the beer. Aroma is yeasty and sweet. Very fruity at first balanced by a mild acidty and champaigne like quality. The palate and flavor is light and delicate with a light floral taste. Fantastic

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ThomasE (5176) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 7, 2004
Peach orange in colour with big head. Sweet aroma with spices. Flavor is sweet with spieces, noticeble is clove. Fine palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - APR 6, 2004
Amber-orange body lies below a rocky white head. Extreme carbonation gives this bottle an effervescent fizz when poured into the glass. Tart and puckering dryness leaves the palate wanting. Complex multitude of flavors abound. Sweet aroma of fruit and bread fill the goblet. Delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2004
Thick creamy robust head that lasted the entire beer. Powerful fruity apricot orange aroma with a slight mustiness that fillled my kitchen. Bitter tea taste with a hint of Grand Marnier and finishes bone dry. A truly wonderful beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 5, 2004
Bronze colored and medium-bodied. Long-lasting light tan head. Smells sweet and flowery. Has a dry taste and reminds me a lot of wine, but ten times better. Hoppy, bitter aftertaste. Overall, a delicious Trappist.