overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3883   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 19, 2004
Pours a cloudy orange brown with a stiff thick head. Floral hops in the nose as well as orange peel. The taste was hoppy and dry an odd sweetness and the orange notes. This beer looks great smells great but the taste just isn't to my liking.It's still a well made beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Malakin (469) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 17, 2004
Looks good, smells good, feels nice and bubbly in your mouth but it has a weird chalky dry taste to it that isn't growing on me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Nice red-golden color, fluffy white head with small Champagne-like bubbles. Green melon fruit in the nose. Light on the palate, sour and dry, long dry finish. I liked it more as I drank it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2004
This must be a love it or hate it beer. I hated it due to the very medicinal/rubbery taste throughout. Maybe it'll eventually grow on me, but I know I won't buy it again for awhile.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - MAR 8, 2004
I am terribly dissapointed to say that I didn't like this beer. I wanted to..I really did. Light orangy color with a bubbly head. Fruity...kinda not quite ripe fruity aroma. Tasted throughout the spectrum of temps from 43f to 70f and though I noticed a difference in flavor profile it wasn't enough to make it enjoyable. Extremely dry with a champagne feel. Maybe I just wasn't ready for this one.. I'll try it again down the road, but for now I don't care for it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 7, 2004
Big head that lives on and on sitting atop a cloudy beer. I swear I can smell green banana in there. The taste is more of that flavor. Lots of bitter but a definite flavor that I can only think is green banana. There is a sour kick as well. Sometimes I like this beer sometimes not, I think it is growing on me. Tonight I do.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TBone (12991) - Pori, FINLAND - MAR 6, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2005 Bottled, date: 02.09.2003
Huge foamy white head. Bleary brown color, like home beer. Aroma is rubber gloves. Very sour and bitter. Long dry finish. (3/4/7/4/10 2.8)
Re-rate: (bottled: 10.02.2004)
Copper-orange hazy color, huge off-white foamy head, lace. Aroma has malt, lemon/citron, leather. Flavor is sour and bitter. Grapefruit is dominating. Smooth carbonated palate and hoppy bitter finish. (7/4/8/4/16 3.9)
Re-rated, (BB 20.07.2004)
(7/3/8/5/16 3.9)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hansen (6873) - Assentoft, DENMARK - MAR 1, 2004
Big head, amber. Aroma and especially the flavor is something like sticking your finger in your ear at tasting it afterwards.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - FEB 28, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 29, 2004 Ridiculously large, fully lasting head; actually got in the way a bit. Aroma is sweet and reminds me of gummy worms. Flavor is a bit medicinal and of plastic at first but mellows out after a few sips and turns into champagne. Clear amber color, lots of good lace.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dixen (1465) - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA - FEB 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2004 Re-Rate. Hazy orange to amber appearance, medium white creamy head, look great in the Orval glass. The aroma is sour, tart, barnyardy thing, almost geuze like, grape and citrus notes, wonderful aroma. Flavor is very refreshing and nice, grape, citrus, dryness and good hoppiness to back it up. Not the bitter hoppiness, but the tangy and funky hoppiness. And funky s really the expression to use about this beer, this is one of a kind! One of my favs i think, could drink this all night!!!