overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3765   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 17, 2003
With this beer, I officially consider myself a beer geek. In order to ensure the proper temperature, I used Newton's Law of Cooling to determine how long I should wait to drink it. Pours a light copper color that appears darker at the top of the glass than at the bottom. Big head necessitates pouring, waiting, then pouring more. Good lacing all the way around the glass. Bannana in the aroma, with a secondary smell below that, which I can't identify. A different taste with each sip. The flavor in the mouth constantly changes, even long after swallowing. A lot of sweetness and sour notes as well. Wonderful brew.

snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - JUL 16, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2004 A ton of head on the pour, very long lasting. Fantastic aroma, fruity (banana being the easiest for me to pick out) and spice. Amazing depth of flavor, no noticeable alcohol at all. It really gets huge marks for the aroma from me. The best I've ever experienced. Re-rate October 2004. Had to knock it up...it's simply got everything I want in a beer...I've never had one and wished I had anything else at the moment, and for me that's perfection.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mwesth (279) - Skovlunde, DENMARK - JUL 16, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2003 Very good looking with a huge head and good lacework. Not as good and full as I expected, not my favorite Trappist.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - JUL 15, 2003
Color is a really nice amber with a yellowy glow at the bottom and the head is silky smooth and tightly frothy, looks like fleshy silk and is about two fingers high leaving tight weblike lacing. Smells of light fruity hops and sweet malt, very smooth, soft, and fresh. Taste is rich, sweet malt, a bit tangy, and has a good dry hoppiness and a mild yeasty note. This is very silky smooth and drys slowly leaving a nice sweet tangy sense in the mouth. Easily drinkable and the flavor is just right.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
drinkbeer (281) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - JUL 15, 2003
aroma is interesting in a good way, the taste is like a belgian strong ale, but not as strong. I would drink this all day, every day, if I could afford such a cost. But I live In the U.S.A., so it costs too much to drink this on a regular basis I dare say.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
egajdzis (5290) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 13, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 28, 2005 Poured a orange golden color with a large bubbly head. Very attractive sweet/fruity aroma, brett certainly present, apricot, and hay. Beautiful! Left great lacing on the glass. Smooth and sweet (almost a bubblegum flavor) slightly tart taste. I can’t get enough of the aroma this beer provides, I love it!

LINKBREW (101) - Santee, California, USA - JUL 12, 2003
At the Auberge down the road from the Abbey. Brett and hops in aroma. Metallic tang, nice dry hops for flowery & perfumey aromas, as well as candy sugar. Brett & hops make for a very dry finish. Makes you want more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
NectarFarm (128) - Calgary, CANADA - JUL 11, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2003 absolutely great looking beer. dusky gold with a beautiful head. amazing complex aroma. perfect balance of an astringent bite and smooth finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUL 10, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2007 7/10/03 : Pours a cloudy apricot color with a huge light beige head. Aroma is spicy with hints of band-aid. Complex medicinal flavors (taste like a dentist office smells). Dry spicy aftertaste that’s not too shabby. Definately NOT my favorite Belgian ale (5/4/5/4/14 tot.3.2). 10/13/06 re-rate: Hazy peach color with a huge white head. Aroma is spicy and yeasty with hints of grape. Flavor starts sharply acidic and fruity with orange zest and finishes quite dry and bitter with a touch of saltiness. Medium bodied and creamy with lively carbonation. Now one of my favorites. Seems like my previous rating may have been a poorly kept bottle (or perhaps my palate has been educated).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CEZ (397) - Milano, ITALY - JUL 10, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2004 [Re-rate] The more Orval I drink, the more I love it. I love the sexy pin-shaped bottle, the cool designer glass (not that I own one... yet!), and the perfect appearance of its shiny, slightly cloudy orange body sormounted by a tall, generous, fizzy off-white head. Aroma is slightly sweet, very yeasty and spicy. A mix of champagne, grapefruit and... well, horse blanket (thanks ecrvich)! Strong, complex taste: orange, a thin maltiness, a nice hoppy kick; bitter, sour, crisp. Extremely drinkable. Medium/full body. Long, acidic, dry, bitter finish. If you didn't like it the first time, please do give it a second try: it worked for me!