overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3962   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
arjoseph (639) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2008 Re-Rate. What a difference it makes having this in Belgium. On my last trip there, I had a bottle of this with lunch at some random cafe off the square in Brussels (not listed in the Places section and not the type of place beer lovers search out). It was just a normal bar, but they had Orval, and the bottle itself had some dust on it like they had been cellaring it for awhile. The waiter/bartender was thrilled that someone ordered it. In short: amazing. Smells: brett, sour lime, a bit of white pepper; it was light, crisp, and playful in the nostrils. Sour apples and yeast at first on the medium body with perfect carbonation. Finish turned spicy, with corriander and noble hops still riding a last ditch fizziness and tickling the top of the tongue. The acidity blended perfectly with the hops and the spices (not to mention the malt foundation that brought it all together on the same platform). Feel was both dry and refreshing, being both something I wanted to sip and enjoy and something I wanted to drink to quench my thirst. In all, this was like wonderfully spiced, dry and bitter grapefruit juice, but not like the grapefruit youíll get in west-coast USA IPAs. Hazy ruby orange in the glass with a creamy egg merengue head. Now I get what all the fuss is about. 8/5/9/5/18

Original Rating. Bottle into Duvel tulip glass; bought at Binnyís at Grand and Wells, 6/2004. Great smell: Banana, apples, caramel, and some prickly alcohol. Rocky white head was mostly lasting and huge (at least, it diminished very slowly). When it got to manageable size, I could see that the lacing was gorgeous. In the glass it was ruddy orange with visible yeast; great looking beer. I was a bit disappointed with the taste. I will admit that I probably started the beer when it was a bit too cold, because it got better as it warmed in the glass, but over all, I was expecting exceptional, and it was just really good. It started out caramel apple with fizzy carbonation, with a weird spiciness that seemed like mint in the finish. It wasnít creamy; tasted kind of like orange rinds; was light bodied and crisp; and there were dry hops on the finish. As it got warmer, the carbonation wasnít as pronounced (which was nice, because it seemed too fizzy to begin with), and the hops became more prominent (which was good). The same mintiness stayed. Good Belgian ale, but not close to others Iíve had. 8/5/7/3/16 = 3.9

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lilannie (384) - Adamstown, Maryland, USA - JUN 19, 2004
Aroma: sweet grapes, grape scented markers, oak barrels, ckittles candies, some yeast, slight floral aroma, pineapple, and bubble gum. Very pleasant scents overall.
Appearance: murky, baby-poop brown color, large creamy head, lacing
Flavor: not as bold as I expected--slight candy flavors, spiciness--chamolile and pumpkin spices, flavor slight watered down though
Palate: sweet, tangy bite for aftertaste, this followed by a lingering spiciness
Overall: more of a summer beer; not worth the USD 4.99 for though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - JUN 17, 2004
Aroma of fruit, including banana and cantaloupe; with some sweet bready nose thrown in, and the slightest, lightest hint of hop; very complex. Appears with a hazy burnt orange color, and with a high rocky off-white head. Flavor is disappointing to me; primarily horsey with some bready malt. Palate is dry as a desert with a very strong effervescence; almost brut-like. Overall, this beer, at least to me, seems like even less than the sum of its parts. Perhaps this style just isnít for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rudolf (2342) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2005 Re-rate 8/05. numbers are very similar, words are very different. Nose is reminiscent of Cantillon & Fantome. Funky lemon candy with yeasty oak, sour cherries, grape & wheat. Golden body with a fluffy white head floating there. Quite tart/sour apple at first. Very musty - reminds me of the smell of a local cider mill. Lemon, yeast, oak, cherry, grape. Incredibly light mouthfeel - almost like it isnít there. ------- rating: I donít have much of a review here. I had this on the night of my 26th birthday. I donít even remember what I had before this, tho I know that there was a goblet of stone IS as well as a pitcher of Hop Rod Rye. For aroma I wrote "slightly belgian" -- what the heck does that mean? Smooth body, oaky flavor. Bitter cherries with a dry/sour bitter finish. I shouldnít buy $10 bottles of beer at a bar when Iím this bombed..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
screwball (1099) - Motala, SWEDEN - JUN 15, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 15, 2007 (Bottle)Golden amber body and a good topy head. Aroma: Burnt sugar, leather, wood and malt. Flavor: Malty, litte sour and round and smooth. OLD RATING: 5 3 5 2 9 High creamy head that makes a tasteful impression. A little flowery tast but not sweet. Some burnt wheat tast maybe?

hopdog (9423) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 15, 2004 Poured a hazy amber with an averaged sized off white head. Strong fruity smells with some spices and citris. Bready/yeasty taste with oranges and bananas. Highly carbonated with a dry finish. I really enjoy this beer - this is one I always have in stock at home.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
turbo (1271) - Arizona, USA - JUN 11, 2004
nice orangy amber color with a nice thick head and lacing. a bit to dry and bitter for me ,but good,,i wouldnt be able to drink a lot or all the time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
piscator34 (2022) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JUN 10, 2004
Amazing stuff. Solid orange in colour with a pillowy just-off-white head. Aromas of hops, lavender, and grapefruit. Flavorful grapefuit, complex floral, and belgian yeast flavors. It also has a long and sour finish. I wish I could drink this all the time. Thanks Boutip!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - JUN 9, 2004
I guess Iím one of the people that doesnít get this beer. It tastes like rubber and fish to me, yet it has a pretty good body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
UNCCTF (508) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - JUN 9, 2004
Bottled. Poured a light orange color with little white head. The flavor was overly malty, and made drinking this one pretty tough. Disappointing.