overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4069   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 17, 2005
Alright, now I have an issue with Orval. Itís supposedly a classic Belgian, and while I know I should like it, I have always hated it. Iíve had it probably a dozen times, each time thinking that maybe the last time was a bad bottle. Well, I had it again, and I hated it. Again. I just doesnít do it for me, itís got a vaguely herbally flavour that isnít particularly pleasant. It does have a great deal of variety of flavours, they just arenít that good. Kind of chewing dead grass and leaves or something. Itís all capped off by its sour flavour. Yuck. So, I poured it. Again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
AndrewGeoff (27) - AUSTRALIA - JAN 16, 2005
A hazy orange-amber coloured beer with a good off-white head which is mostly lasting. The aroma is floral with hints of spice and has a strange indefinable character in the background which doesnít inspire confidence. The palate is overly dry and astringent while the flavour shows bitter hop characters and a decidedly unpleasant sourness. The aftertaste doesnít linger but this might be a blessing. Overall Ė bitterly disappointed! (pun intended).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerandrugby (210) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 15, 2005
Bottle. great color...great foamy white head, laced well. initial yeasty orangey slightly hopped flavor. very dry. nicely balanced but it had one of my beer pet peeves...too much carbonation!! The obnoxious amount of fizz got in the way of what would be a wonderful beer. I really thought that corsendonk is a better Trappist style brew even though orval is a true monastery Trappist.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jmm1 (131) - Andorra la Vella, ANDORRA - JAN 15, 2005
Amber cloudy body with a huge foamy head. Citric and spices aromas. Bitter orange, lemon sourness, yeast and a hopsy finish. Well balanced and with a fizzy carbonation adding freshness. A wonder of a beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
brocker (99) - Salina, Utah, USA - JAN 13, 2005
Geez. I have nothing good to say about this. People say certain drinks are an aquired taste. That kind of thinking has gotten way out of hand when it comes to shit like this. I guess if you could build up a tolerance to the poison, one could aquire a taste for Windex or 409. Címon. This has gone too far. Orange, resin like color. Looks alright- O.K. Smells peculiar- be cautious. Taste- oh my hell, mix of fruit, pennies, 9V batteries, some weird shit off the spice rack... Worst thing I have ever drank

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 7, 2005
Youíve got to like that one. Its dark orange colour betrays its spiy/peppery nature. This is not a beer for wimps. The aroma is very spicy, hoppy an powerful, the head is frothy, and the taste ... this beer has an apťritifís bitterness followed by a surge of fruitiness, quickly replaced by some sourness, ending in a hoppy impression. A remarkable beer.

lululegrand (94) - gent, BELGIUM - JAN 7, 2005
Nice amber colored beer. Good fluffy foam. Dry nose with malty accent and good bitterness. Fine dry taste with great hoppy caracter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 6, 2005
Bottle, cool bottle in fact. My sister Anne bought it for me (probably because of the bottle). I have been waiting 10 minutes for the head to subside from its beautiful frothy, chunky, lumpy bubbly greatness , so I could pour the rest of the bottle. All the while, its aroma wafting to my nose with sourness and a biting stiffness that is interesting. Unlike any other beer Iíve ever smelled. A creamy orange color that darkens toward the top of the glass. Letís begin... sort of bland at first and doesnít really change through the first few drinks. Dry is a good way to describe this one. Iím not sure that this is a positive description of a beer, but Iíll continue... This one disappoints me with each passing quaff. Not much here. It isnít bad, but it isnít great by any means. I saved this one as long as I could to really enjoy, but I believe that it is incredibly overated. I canít really find any nice things to say about this beer... it is very average. I have made better beers than this one. Not complex, no multiple flavors smashing into my palate. Just not really good. Iíll have to try another to see if this one was on the shelf too long. For now I must say... OVERRATED!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GonZoBeeR (2987) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 4, 2005
Aroma:Fruity and yeast Appearance:orange yellow good white head Flavor:Malt,spicy,hoppy and yeast. very good one

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
AAO (102) - Nśstved, DENMARK - JAN 4, 2005
Hazy redish color nice head. Very powerfull aroma, bitter/malthy. Strong bitter taste. Itís a bit weak in the bitter finish, but a very nice trappist.