Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4126   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jmm1 (132) - Andorra la Vella, ANDORRA - JAN 15, 2005
Amber cloudy body with a huge foamy head. Citric and spices aromas. Bitter orange, lemon sourness, yeast and a hopsy finish. Well balanced and with a fizzy carbonation adding freshness. A wonder of a beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
brocker (99) - Salina, Utah, USA - JAN 13, 2005
Geez. I have nothing good to say about this. People say certain drinks are an aquired taste. That kind of thinking has gotten way out of hand when it comes to shit like this. I guess if you could build up a tolerance to the poison, one could aquire a taste for Windex or 409. Címon. This has gone too far. Orange, resin like color. Looks alright- O.K. Smells peculiar- be cautious. Taste- oh my hell, mix of fruit, pennies, 9V batteries, some weird shit off the spice rack... Worst thing I have ever drank

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 7, 2005
Youíve got to like that one. Its dark orange colour betrays its spiy/peppery nature. This is not a beer for wimps. The aroma is very spicy, hoppy an powerful, the head is frothy, and the taste ... this beer has an apťritifís bitterness followed by a surge of fruitiness, quickly replaced by some sourness, ending in a hoppy impression. A remarkable beer.

lululegrand (94) - gent, BELGIUM - JAN 7, 2005
Nice amber colored beer. Good fluffy foam. Dry nose with malty accent and good bitterness. Fine dry taste with great hoppy caracter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 6, 2005
Bottle, cool bottle in fact. My sister Anne bought it for me (probably because of the bottle). I have been waiting 10 minutes for the head to subside from its beautiful frothy, chunky, lumpy bubbly greatness , so I could pour the rest of the bottle. All the while, its aroma wafting to my nose with sourness and a biting stiffness that is interesting. Unlike any other beer Iíve ever smelled. A creamy orange color that darkens toward the top of the glass. Letís begin... sort of bland at first and doesnít really change through the first few drinks. Dry is a good way to describe this one. Iím not sure that this is a positive deScription of a beer, but Iíll continue... This one disappoints me with each passing quaff. Not much here. It isnít bad, but it isnít great by any means. I saved this one as long as I could to really enjoy, but I believe that it is incredibly overated. I canít really find any nice things to say about this beer... it is very average. I have made better beers than this one. Not complex, no multiple flavors smashing into my palate. Just not really good. Iíll have to try another to see if this one was on the shelf too long. For now I must say... OVERRATED!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GonZoBeeR (2987) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 4, 2005
Aroma:Fruity and yeast Appearance:orange yellow good white head Flavor:Malt,spicy,hoppy and yeast. very good one

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
AAO (102) - Nśstved, DENMARK - JAN 4, 2005
Hazy redish color nice head. Very powerfull aroma, bitter/malthy. Strong bitter taste. Itís a bit weak in the bitter finish, but a very nice trappist.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Dark apricot slightly hazy pour supporting a strurdy dusky white head and nice lacing. Aroma of fresh bread, summer garden and yeast. Nicely balanced flavor of malt and hops - a touch more hops than in many Trappist brews. Lasting but clean hoppy and yeasty finish. I may lose points for drinking it out of a Chimay goblet but the Orval didnít suffer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Braudog (6041) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JAN 1, 2005
This pours a medium orange-yellow, intensively active and with an airy head. The aroma is of raisins, I think. The flavor is heavily perfumey with a tangy grass/apricot edge.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - DEC 29, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2006 12.29.04 330ml bottle dated drink by JUne 2006. Iíve had this a few times, but not for a few years. I dug this bottle out of hiding to re-think the stuff, and as a milestone beer, as I miraculously hit my goal of hitting 700 ratings by the end of 2004. Pours a honey amber with a giant tan head that is never predictable, fades erratically, laces sporadically. Big aromas abound; at first I thought this might be an infected bottle, then I relaxed and realized that it smelled very good, infected or not, so I was drinking it anyway. Perfumey and citrus aromas with plenty of barnyard and horseblanket. Itís a bit like a flowery aged cheese -- and I recall the last time I thought the same thing, that beer was XX Bitter de Ranke. The palate is round, full, coating, fluffy, soft. Really one of the best mouthfeels of any beer; but then there is the finishing feel which is a bit burning and a lingering, persistent peppery spice not unlike the freshly perfumed nape of a new girlfriend. Flavors are big and bold but meld perfectly. The brew is much more bitter than expected, grassy...no...weedy, and very funky. The beer is balanced yet stylish - citrus, melon, hay, orange, leather. Not an everyday brew, but most enjoyable from time to time. 3 cheers for Orval!!!