overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3737   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
freekyp (1473) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 30, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2003 Not your typical Belgian ale. Grapeish notes with a strong pine flavor. Very efferescent. Sits on the tongue an sizzles for a short while leaving behind a piny aftertaste. A MUST TRY.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
YogiBeera (2435) - Hamburg, GERMANY - DEC 30, 2002
UPDATED: APR 30, 2005 Second bottle tried from the same store and something is wrong. So hopefully I*m able to rerate it as I think my rating is not what this stuff deserves. Wonderful apple banana, citrus and vanilla nose. Orange body with a medium frothy head. Totally sour and bitter - grapefruit like - aftertaste. Also oily palate. RERATE 30.12.2002: My result is that the bottles before must have been infected. Not as sour and unpleasant as I thought. Nice bitter but short finish. Very hoppy. My rating before was 3.0 RERATE again at Belgo, London: Nice indeed - get more used to it. Weíll see how it turns out after another one, so now raise of 0.2 points. RERATE: Rating before 3.9 - this is a beer that grows with me every time I try it. Nice hoppiness, Everything is balaned great. Loveable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kwoeltje (2232) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 29, 2002
Nice orange color with thick head. Nice hint of fruity flavors, but not as sweet as some Belgian ales. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - DEC 28, 2002
An absolute classic. Pours with a massive head. Has an absolutely overpowering character and taste: Nutty, spicy and even smoky.. anybody else feel the smoke in this or am I hallucinating? Smells like wet hay and horseshit, like a great lambic. Itís complexity will have your tastebuds busy for a while. I think I will join a Trappist order .

caesar (4893) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - DEC 26, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2006 Spicy aroma, some bubblegum, caramel, malty, hoppy. Light brownish color. Not really ístrongí ale. Sweet taste, dry. Very extraordinary beer. Balance reaching perfection.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BŁckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - DEC 24, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2003 Poured a golden, misty orange. Lots and lots of head, very frothy. Smelled slightly sweet with a hint of wheat and a moderate amount of hops. Also a slight tart malt finish. It tasted similar to a wheat beer, but with a Belgian twist. A bit musky, but very matured. Hints of citrus were present. Very dry aftertaste but kept me coming back for more. Overall very satisfying, but too expensive for me ($4.50 per 1/3 L). On a side note, there was a huge chunk of yeast at the bottom of mine, and it accidentally found it's way into my glass and then the whole thing was very undesirable.

madsberg (10111) - SÝborg, DENMARK - DEC 20, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2009 Bottled: Well this is the 20. beer in my christmas calender of 24 beers. Until now its by far the best. Has a hazy orange colour and a huge impressive head. The sight of it reminds me of a wheat beer. The aroma has some similarities to wheat beer as well, but you instantly know, that its not. Very spicy aroma. The flavour is special. Coriander and elderflower is present and a powerful saltyness, that makes this beer quite special and different. The hoppy bitterness in the end is remarkabel. All in all this is one of the best beers iíve tried, simply because it is so different to other beers iíve come across. Iíve visited this frequently over the past years, and the beer has become one of the regulars, always present in my fridge. Must say that this is beerart at its best. Might as weel admit it to myself. This is simply the nearest to beer perfection.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
uhorpheus (215) - houston, Texas, USA - DEC 19, 2002
This is a very hoppy beer. Not necessarily bitter hops, but just a lot of hops flavor. Nice aroma, Relatively thick for its color. Head never dissipated, very thick and rich.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brisbane (24) - SWEDEN - DEC 16, 2002
This beer reminds me of springtime when the ground thaws and the dog droppings from winter begin to thaw. This beer, like the spring ground, wafts a thick, peaty smell of crap. Mulchy and fecal. This beer is dry and bitter. However, it looks very sweet and inviting. The head is very bulky and the color is auburn. It smells sweet, yet hides a pungent secret. On the palate itís very raw and flat...reminds me of liqour. The aftertaste is like amonia. Drinking this beer was like drinking venom. Therefore, I could not finish the glass I had poured. Due to the beerís strange character Iíll probably be buying another soon. Afterall, itís only $2 per bottle. It would be impossible to forget the taste of this beer.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - DEC 14, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2003 First rating: Dec 14, 2002
Odd doggy pooh aroma. The aroma is very complex with nice floral, musky, bitter tones to it, but there was still an overwhelming stench of pooh. The flavor was very similar to the aroma...floral, musky, orange peel, spicy. Again, the overwhelming flavor of pooh. I really wanted to enjoy this beer. I've been looking forward to tasting it for months. Maybe I'm not mature enough as a beer rater for this beer.

Oct 2, 2003
I'm getting it now. Very much like a geueze...extremely lemony, grassy, sour. I'm enjoying this much more than last time. The numbers reflect my experience this time.