overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3776   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - OCT 22, 2002
Glowing copper color and a dollop of creamy head. Pickly nose and a spicey flavor. Wasnt able to get much out of it till it warmed to room temp where it produced a wonderfully delicate floral brew, laced with anise, white pepper, and flowers. Will have to re-rate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - OCT 15, 2002
Probably the least appreciated of the Trappist Ales. A very hoppy example that places it in a league of its own. Probably my favorite Trappist beers. Foamy, thick head that sticks to the glass as if it were cobwebs made of sugar. Pleasant hop aroma and attractive orange/golden display.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aubrey (3431) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 13, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2010 Wonderfully foamy, frothy, and long lasting head with big and small bubbles. Hazy and rusty orange-amber. Bright, fresh-smelling nose was full of yeast, with nippy elements of barnyard and band-aid. Prickly carbonation; smooth texture. Malts were lightly toasted grains; gentle yet flavorful. Bitterness slowly built and lingered pleasantly on the tongue. Interesting, malleable mineral flavor. Interesting spices. Very pleasant beer. Every time I revisit this beer I rate it higher.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Duffbeer (192) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2002
Slightly different taste than a typical Belgian. Almost had a champagne like taste to it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
JMerritt (1792) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2002
I was so looking forward to having this beer, but I was sadly disappointed. Appearance was the only thing going for it. Head was frothy, off-white, and fully lasting with great lacing. Color was amber/orange and murky, with just the right amount of body. Then it goes downhill from there. Aroma had a strong (nearly overpowering) medicine smell, mixed with a definite alcohol odor. Hints of pine and grapefruit rounded it out. Initial flavor was lightly sweet and finished moderately acidic and heavily bitter. Finish was too alcoholic and abrasive. Aftertaste was slightly oily in texture, especially on the roof of my mouth. Did I get a bad bottle? I will have to try and re-rate at my earliest convenience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Discofish (152) - USA - SEP 27, 2002

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brewsoc99 (29) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 26, 2002
It needs to be tried. This is a very different trappist ale, and needs to be repected because of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 26, 2002
Not crazy about this one. Too funky for my taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MartinKubert (862) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 25, 2002
For me this kind of belgian beer is a joke. I like strong beers with complexity, yeast and alcohol. If I want weak beers I stay at home.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Very hoppy for a Belgian. Not my cup of tea...or beer for that matter. When I want Belgian, I look for complexity. This is kind of dry in that field.