overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4068   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jde123 (767) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2004 Complex complex complex. Flavors on top of flavors. Giant head sits atop a mahogany body, great aroma, smells like apples, oranges, and plums had a party. very pleasant. I really enjoyed this one, but it does not compare to other, better belgian ales, I don't know why this is so expensive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2004 Re-rate Each bottle seems distinct. It was even livlier on the palate this time around, with a hint of banana. The head was like a soft serve ice cream cone. Orval is so dry that the flavor just melts right into the finish. To work this magic into 6.9 ABV is divine.

Easily the most unique of the trappist beers. Pours light amber with medium but fizzy head. Aroma is floral and earthy, with notes of peat and pine. The flavor (like a mossy grapefruit) is one of the few that I could pick blind every time. Worth a try, and I can see how some are fanatical about it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
antisnobJP (275) - St. Michael, Minnesota, USA - MAR 21, 2004
Hazy bright orange amber color. Huge frothy billowing white head, like a bubble bath. Intense citrus and floral aroma with an underlying sweetness to it, like Hi-C orange in the background. Highly carbonated. Hoppy and dry for sure, with plenty of bitterness and sweetness at the same time. How does that work? Phenolic,alcoholic, citric, a LOT going on here. Maybe too complex for my malty English ale loving palate. But this is definitely refreshing and eye opening to all true beer lovers out there. A must try. But I'm not sure I would drink very often. I have finished it, and the lacing still remains from top to bottom. Cool.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
PrimeMinister (138) - Quebec, CANADA - MAR 20, 2004
Not an easy beer for a beginner... This is a very complex product. Every aspect of it makes it unique. I know nothing like it although there are pale imitations. The aspect when served in it's appropriate glass is very exciting. A nice head with very rich bubbles. The color is an amazing orange which reminds me of the Dominus Vobiscum Triple. At first, this beer sends intense malty signals to my tongue. An extraordinary fruity and rich after taste. Complexity evolves as the product warms up. One of the best trappist I've tasted so far.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
chalmers (8) - Bordeaux, FRANCE - MAR 20, 2004 does not count
I have never tasted a beer so dry. It really turned me off, although I had read about it on this board before. Not really sure what to say, I am sure its just a perculiar beer, that you have to have a few times before it grows on you. Maybe a few more bottles would do it. All-in-all a very different beer, that I unfortunately didn't have the ability to finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 19, 2004
Pours a cloudy orange brown with a stiff thick head. Floral hops in the nose as well as orange peel. The taste was hoppy and dry an odd sweetness and the orange notes. This beer looks great smells great but the taste just isn't to my liking.It's still a well made beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Malakin (469) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 17, 2004
Looks good, smells good, feels nice and bubbly in your mouth but it has a weird chalky dry taste to it that isn't growing on me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Nice red-golden color, fluffy white head with small Champagne-like bubbles. Green melon fruit in the nose. Light on the palate, sour and dry, long dry finish. I liked it more as I drank it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2004
This must be a love it or hate it beer. I hated it due to the very medicinal/rubbery taste throughout. Maybe it'll eventually grow on me, but I know I won't buy it again for awhile.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - MAR 8, 2004
I am terribly dissapointed to say that I didn't like this beer. I wanted to..I really did. Light orangy color with a bubbly head. Fruity...kinda not quite ripe fruity aroma. Tasted throughout the spectrum of temps from 43f to 70f and though I noticed a difference in flavor profile it wasn't enough to make it enjoyable. Extremely dry with a champagne feel. Maybe I just wasn't ready for this one.. I'll try it again down the road, but for now I don't care for it.