overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3881   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
motelpogo (6947) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - SEP 16, 2002
wasnít crazy about it the first couple of times i had it but just keep liking it more aand more and there is something about just popping into the newsagents in belgium and buying it that really feels right. so ridiculously salty and sharp

morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 15, 2002
The best beer I have ever tasted. You donít just drink Orval, you experience it. Sweet, candy like, and flowery. Flavors that you canít even describe, other than you really like them. Mouthfeel is similar to eating pop rocks as the flavors explode on your tongue. If only it were not so expensive.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 13, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2012 Almost ten years later I have come to re-rate this brew. My pallet has changed over the years and today I have realized that this may be my favorite beer of all time. At least my most reliable brew. I love everything about this beer, from the aroma, the mouthfeel and the finish and subtle funk from the brett makes my heart flutter. The bottle Iím tasting now is about 2 years old and now I want to venture out and find different vintages so I can taste the differences in age. Original rating from 2002- 8/3/8/3/16 3.8 overall.... A very tasty and unique brew. I read the reviews and I had to get some of this stuff. A semi-fruity aroma masked by a fluffly pillow of foam. The flavor is like none other. IT goes down smooth. Try this beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drywallman (334) - Lake in the Hills, Illinois, USA - SEP 9, 2002
Pillowy head that never went away. Initial medicinal aroma on opening that turned me off a little. It got better as the beer breathed and warmed in the glass. Nice orange color and very smooth taste. It deserves itís high praise.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
johninmelb (1126) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - SEP 9, 2002
Yeah nice, but not in the elite league of trappists for my money. I think it was the finish that turned me on it - the alcohol came through too strongly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - SEP 9, 2002
Some nice things about this beer - the dry astingency it finishes with, the sunset color and beautiful lace, the raw power of the thing. But Iím with my husband - rocket fuel indeed! May have been injected with Pine Sol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - SEP 9, 2002
"Cheap 70s cologne" nails this stuff, Joe. The perfumy aroma keeps going in the mouth, harsh and fiery and full of pine, yeast, lemon, and insect repellant. Once and awhile a nice lighter, candy sweet malt flavour rises into the action, but mostly the thing is dominated by the rocket fuel burn of the opening perfume and overexcited carbonation. I am not a fan, boys, but more credit to you all for finding ways to love the edgy complexities of this brew. Oh, and I DO appreciate the sticky lasting lace and the rich orange amber hue ...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - SEP 8, 2002
Pours with a rich marshmallowy head. The color is a head-on meeting of orange and peach. Balanced a little heavier towards the malt than hops. Hops linger on the tip of tongue. A very solid beer which reminds me of apple picking for some odd reason.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2002
WOW! Got the opportunity to enjoy with some belgium strong cheese in Brussels - a great compliment. Wondefully large head, notes of several fruits (plums, apples, apricots) woven perfectly with just the right amount of malt. Beautiful

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBeerGod (5329) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - SEP 8, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2004 Very impressive! Hazy brown in color and a light brown head. Aroma is bitter or sour with light spices and apples dominant. Tastes of sour apples and is bitter but not overwhelming. Finishes well. Highly recommended to all. **Re-rate - Been a while since I had this. Based on my previous rating, this is a different beast or my tastes have changed. Bottled 28.01.2003, nearly one year old. This has almost a geuze like nose. Hay, barnyard, tartness and a plethora of funkiness. I also have to add that there is a litterbox odor in this to make this go total Parliament Funkadelic in the aroma department. The best way to say it is, if someone handed me this without letting me know this was Orval, I'd think it was a geuze. There some fruit in the taste but an enhanced taste of the aroma as well. Dry mouthfeel and finish. Eclectic beer. Worthy of all the praise it receives. Maybe I'll get a case of this....