overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3884   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - SEP 8, 2002
Pours with a rich marshmallowy head. The color is a head-on meeting of orange and peach. Balanced a little heavier towards the malt than hops. Hops linger on the tip of tongue. A very solid beer which reminds me of apple picking for some odd reason.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2002
WOW! Got the opportunity to enjoy with some belgium strong cheese in Brussels - a great compliment. Wondefully large head, notes of several fruits (plums, apples, apricots) woven perfectly with just the right amount of malt. Beautiful

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBeerGod (5337) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - SEP 8, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2004 Very impressive! Hazy brown in color and a light brown head. Aroma is bitter or sour with light spices and apples dominant. Tastes of sour apples and is bitter but not overwhelming. Finishes well. Highly recommended to all. **Re-rate - Been a while since I had this. Based on my previous rating, this is a different beast or my tastes have changed. Bottled 28.01.2003, nearly one year old. This has almost a geuze like nose. Hay, barnyard, tartness and a plethora of funkiness. I also have to add that there is a litterbox odor in this to make this go total Parliament Funkadelic in the aroma department. The best way to say it is, if someone handed me this without letting me know this was Orval, I'd think it was a geuze. There some fruit in the taste but an enhanced taste of the aroma as well. Dry mouthfeel and finish. Eclectic beer. Worthy of all the praise it receives. Maybe I'll get a case of this....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - SEP 7, 2002
gigantic head with a plateau in the middle, very distinctive and I want to say clovey

Nesta13 (205) - AUSTRALIA - SEP 7, 2002
Nice. Smelt like a tripel, tasted like a cross between a wheat beer and a Belgian golden ale. Great yeasty flavours. Started to develop Biere du Garde-like characteristics when it warmed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - SEP 4, 2002
Dark blond, slightly milky. Small head. Sour fruity, geuzy aroma. Lively, slightly sour, bitter taste. Nice.

jerohen (2029) - Bussum, NETHERLANDS - SEP 4, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2013 One of my absolute favorites, i always have a few bottles of this at home. The yeast, the sourness, the hops it’s all just in perfect harmony, and that at only around 6%. Superb. Aging: Compared a fresh sample with 2 and 5 year old samples. In time, Orval seems to lose its bitterness, while the aroma becomes more sour. It becomes smoother, but less outspoken. I personally prefer a fresh bottle compared to the aged ones, although imho a 5 year old one is better than a two year old. Perhaps aging more than 5 years will make it better, but for the time being i’ll stick to drinking fresh ones :-).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
skortila (4620) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - SEP 3, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2006 sour/bitter, spicy taste. I don’tknow what to think of this beer, first time I drank it, i was disappointed. Now however I think I give this ale the benefit of the doubt; the taste is complex and I love that in a beer. Aroma is a little tripel-like. Beautifull colour with a nice head. <rerate>Aroma is yeasty, quite fruity, bit spicy (pepper) and a hops. Initial taste is slightly sweet, becomes more bitter towards the finish. Finishes dry. Nice balance of yeast, hops, fruitiness. Good quality yeast in it.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
goodge99 (4) - quarto, ITALY - SEP 1, 2002 does not count
what a disappointing beer! I expected much better from a trappist beer. What a bad finish! I wouldn’t like to try it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - AUG 30, 2002
Re-rate: Hazy orange/light amber colored. Beautiful head and lace. Aroma is insane with barnyard, stinky cheese,herbs,light doughy malt and citrus. Almost medium bodied,almost creamy with flavors of orange peel,lime,spices,flowers, and more I cannot even describe. This beer plays alot of games with your senses. Looooong dry and bitter finish. Drinkability is off the charts. Very complex and addicitve. I like this twice as much as i did the first time I had it(about 320 beers ago) so I think this (at last in my case) needs a more mature palate to appreciate whats here.