overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4100   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fly (1438) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - OCT 6, 2003
What's the big deal about this? So some monk strains the stuff through the sleeve of his robe and people think a miracle has happened? Alright enough blasphemy. Not sure how long ago it was that I had this. Well, certainly long enough that the memory didn't register at all correctly. Wow - to say the least. I can see how it might put many off as just letting it warm a bit changed it so much for me. A bit brash and tart at first, but oh what lurks beneath. Hard not to keep from wondering if others cultivated yeast from this as the flavor reminds me of many others. Love the way it has an ever so slightly sweet reply to the dry/tart/bitterness. Nothing more I can imagine adding that hasn't been said.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - OCT 5, 2003
ok this is the second time ive had this.. the first time was a hell of a lot better, this time it seems to be a little fluffed out or pissy tasting, definitely can tell its dry hopped, mellow but a bit funky tasting the first time it tasted like a perfect ipa/wit combo.. i guess my future beholds more orvals to get it right

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - OCT 4, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2004 Looks like apple cider with a bubbly, fluffy off white head. Aroma of sour fruit - again almost ciderish. As it warms a touch of tropical fuit appears along with spicy, floral hops notes. I get this wonderful almost powdery scent. Hints, I mean faint hints of caramel and cotton candy. Upon further warming comes the citrus - orange and lemon and fresh grass.If you take the time to enjoy the aroma of this one you won't be disappointed. Flavor is sour fruit and spice. Light maltiness. Very carbonated and big hops. Very dry and spicy. Hops lingers on the tongue with a tart apple residue. This beer defies typical classification for me. It acts like a triple, a flanders, a saison, a pale and it's a trappist to boot. Can't say I would sit down and drink one every day, but it's a treat to savor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerledgend (1196) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 3, 2003
Cloudy dark gold colour, smell like champas, very fruity/grapy. Banana flaovours.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Very nice murky look. Taste of cider with a slight astringent undertone. Goes down very easily. Slight leather (good as an accent) taste. I am a rooky with belgians so this was a nice introduction

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bu11zeye (12301) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2008 Based on bottled version: Pours a lightly hazy amber body with a thick white head. Flavor of light brett sourness, mild hops, citrus, caramel, and spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
desurfer (1252) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - SEP 27, 2003
Cool bottle. Amber body, huge, rocky white head and lots of rising carbonation. Tropical fruits and orange peel abound in the nose, although not too strong. Hoppy, fruity flavor, very dry, and a dry bitter finish. A bit thinner than I expected. The lace clinging to my glass is a quarter inch thick in some places. Really enjoyable beer.

OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - SEP 25, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2004 Slightly hazy orange/amber in colour. Mountains of lasting rocky, frothy, and creamy beige coloured head. Very lively with lots of tiny bubbles. The aroma starts to permeate the air the second that satisfying "pffft" from opening the cap happens. Persimmon, orange blossom, minty, yeasty, and bandaid (I never understood what that meant until now) aroma, with a hint of homemade brown bread. Slightly candyish sweet, dry cereal, and slight salty initial flavour, building to a mediciny, perfumed, floral, dry hoppy bitter finish. Medium to full body, dry, refreshing, numbing (in a good way) mouthfeel. Fantastic. Brilliant. I had incredibly high expectations for this. Most of the time, that spells disappointment. But this was every bit as good as I expected and beyond. (10/5/9/5/19)

Re-rate, Dec. 14, 2004: After the first bottle (rated above) I was tempted to give it my first perfect 5, but something in the flavour held me back. Second bottle a few months later, seemed to have a little alcohol kick that made me think that 9/10 for flavour was about right. Third bottle another few months later I was tempted to up the rating but since bottle #2 wasn’t quite there I hesitated. One small sample almost a year later and there’s no doubt. If I was told I had to choose only one beer I could drink for the rest of my life, this would be it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kindestcut (30) - Addison, Texas, USA - SEP 25, 2003
I continue my hike tthrough Belgium. Let me start by saying that the Orval trappist is a fine beer. However, it's not my favorites of the Belgian pale ales/blondes. OK, let me also say that I appreciate the complexity of this beer. It's is an incredibly well-crafted brew that had be wondering how I was going to describe it. Let's move on to the appearance and get to the flavor in a moment. the Orval poured a dark gold, darker than I was expecting. The head was massive in it's mass...rising slowly above the lrim of my glass. The head had a very long life, with the appearance of clouds as seen from above. The head melted like ice cream. The aroma was full of citrus and floral. OK, now to the flavor. More than any other Belgian I've had, the Orval reminded me the most of a dry white wine. I was struck by the similarity. However, it is far more complex than to call it wine-like. The combination of lemon plus bitter and floral hops results in an interesting flavor. All in all, not my favorite Belgian, which surprised me given its reputation.

1.4
   AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
bob32256 (171) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - SEP 22, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2003 After the initial taste, I had to go back and re-rate this beer. Maybe there was something wrong with this bottle, but there was a very unpleasantly bitter aftertaste that lasted a long time - one of the very few that I've poured out.