overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 4038   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 8, 2003
Dry, yeasty aroma. Creamy, rocky head. Light carbonation apparent. Dry and light mouthfeel. This is a rather tasty brew. Rather complex, as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GregClow (2961) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 7, 2003
Colour is a beautiful slightly hazy golden-red with a half-inch of off-white head that quickly retreats, leaving some impressive lace. Poured into it's proper glass, it's truly a thing of beauty. The aroma is remarkably complex - ripe banana, dark sugar, earthy malt, peppery yeast and the infamous hint of band-aid. Body is crisp and warm. Flavour rolls across the tongue with sweet malt, with hints of orange in the middle, and some hops coming up in the long, dry finish. A truly unique and extraordinary beer.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 27, 2003
The beer pours a magnificent hazy deep orange, the head monstrous in size, creamy in its consistency and as it evanesces, leaves behind a satiny sheet of fine lace. The aroma of ripe bananas, yeast, sweet brown sugar with the malt underpinning it all makes this a real sniffers delight. Start malt and lightly sweet, the top slim in feel on the palate, biting in its acidity, the hops perky in their spicy bite, the aftertaste quite dry and long lasting. A real treat in all aspects and I prefer it to “Duvel”, and many other Belgians for that fact.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - JAN 27, 2003
This is disappointing for a Trappist beer. It's still better than most of the garbage out there.

redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2003
Aroma is quite intense, a fruity/spicy smell that is very pleasant. This has the look of orange blossom honey that is slight cloudy. Wonderful head that is very substantial. This is a dry beer with out the bite of an IPA very refreshing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
winkle (476) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - JAN 23, 2003
It's been a long wait but eventually I got it, and the wait was worth it. Pours a huge thick head with a cloudy copper body. Powerful nose on this beer - spicy, earthy, yeasty sort if thing. It has a very satisfying mouthfeel not to mention being dry. Dry as a dead dingos donger (in a good way if that is possible.) Great beer, though a bit expensive, I'll be back.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
presario (4836) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 22, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2007 After staring at the bottle while purchasing 100 others I paid the $4.99 CDN for the 330ml bottle. Big lasting head. Magnificent may be the word, like whip cream on a latte. Very strong distinctive, sinus-clearing aroma, hard to place (is it mint or mediciny?). Slightly cloudy bronze colour. Slightly medicine/alcohol taste at first. Perfumy is correct for aroma and taste. Flavour develops as you drink. Peppery notes and others that are not easily identified. Absolutely distinct in flavour. Dry. A beer that needs multiple tastings to examine the depth of flavour but at $5 I could get a 750ml Unibroue. Each sip tastes better than the last. I started off not sure if I liked it and ended up licking the foam off the glass.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 22, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2005 (re-rate) Originally when I rated this I was new to the beer experience. I can honestly say that I rated it higher than I should have because of the high rating by others on the site. What did I know? Now that I’ve had I few beers I can say that this stuff is undrinkable. Tastes like colgate and baking soda. Last sampling was a drain pour. Anyone who wants to explain to me why this is top notch I’m listening...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3772) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JAN 19, 2003
Bottle with expiration date of 11/01/2007. I finally broke down and paid the $4.25 to buy this beer, and it is definitely challenging, though not without its rewards. Magnificent head, large and slightly off-white with some of the largest lacing I've ever seen. Some head was retained throughout. Completely opaque in hazy burnt-orange hues. My overwhelming sensation of aroma and flavor was to compare it to some very strong ciders I've had in the UK--citric, bitter, dry. It changes in the mouth as it finishes, being initially very perfumy, then yeasty, then more earthy, then a bit metallic, then with a long bitterness setting in, with the recognition that there were surprisingly alcoholic notes in that 6.2%. Still, very smooth. I can't say upon finishing it that I felt a crying need for another one in the immediate future.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JCW (1276) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 17, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2006 Wow! This is an interesting brew. Color of a pale ale and very cloudy. Very ’earthy’ aroma. Average head. Not fruity, it has more of a mild spice favor, I wish I could come up with the spices. All I know is Belgium"s generally aren"t my style but I truely like this one.