overall
Brewed by Brasserie dOrval
Style: Belgian Ale
Florenville - Villers-d.-Orval, Belgium

RATINGS: 3664   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
In contrast to all the others, the Orval Trappist brewery makes only one beer for the general public. It has an intensely aromatic and dry character. Between the first and second fermentations there is also an additional dry-hopping process. Through this the beer acquires its pronounced hoppy aroma and extra dry taste.
Bottled at 5.2% abv - can go up as high as 7.2%

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUL 20, 2002
Looked and smelled like a German dark wheat. Did not taste like one. This was the last bottle of Orval at the store, so I figured I had better grab it (not an old bottle, though - exp. 10/08/06). This definitely has nothing in common with the other Trappists that Iíve tried, and the first few sips had me agreeing with the raters who disliked this one. It didnít get a whole lot better. Dry and thin (for a Trappist), and loaded with pepper and bitterness. Itís probably an acquired taste - Iíll try again when the store gets some more bottles. RERATE 4/2/02 (exp. 6/12/06): Not so peppery this time, and more drinkable. Bitter, bitter, bitter, and the dryness makes it seem rather thin. Leaves a slightly parched feeling in my mouth. Maybe itís growing on me, but I still donít love it. 4/11/02: Third bottle. Have to say that this stuff becomes addictive. 5/13/02: Now number two on my desert island list. Some beers really grow on you. 7/20/02: Did I really say that this smelled like a wheat beer? My RateBeer education continues...

SteC (131) - Oostende, BELGIUM - SEP 18, 2002
This is definently one of my favourites Re-rate, 18 Sept 2002 I had a 1 year old Orval yesterday. When I opened it, it went fissssss a long time. Then I put ti tin the glass, I was very surprised, as the color was clear, later came the remains of the yeast, and the known orval colour was back..... This beer is my first 5...

Oakes (11866) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 24, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2004 Bright orange colour. Light beige head is very thick, and often makes fun mountainous shapes. The room fills with perfume, medicine, noble hops, tangerines, horseblanket. Fun stuff. Bitter body brings a strong citric component, and these are complemented by warming pale malts, an underpinning of alcohol and a sour, bretty finish. Vibrant, funky, alive. With amples doses of malt, hops, yeast, brett, alcohol, a nature that is challenging yet comforting, a potency that can satisfy with one bottle or with four, Orval is truly a pleasure for all of your senses. In short, Orval is beer.

caesar (4721) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - DEC 26, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2006 Spicy aroma, some bubblegum, caramel, malty, hoppy. Light brownish color. Not really ístrongí ale. Sweet taste, dry. Very extraordinary beer. Balance reaching perfection.

morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 15, 2002
The best beer I have ever tasted. You donít just drink Orval, you experience it. Sweet, candy like, and flowery. Flavors that you canít even describe, other than you really like them. Mouthfeel is similar to eating pop rocks as the flavors explode on your tongue. If only it were not so expensive.

madsberg (9653) - SÝborg, DENMARK - DEC 20, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2009 Bottled: Well this is the 20. beer in my christmas calender of 24 beers. Until now its by far the best. Has a hazy orange colour and a huge impressive head. The sight of it reminds me of a wheat beer. The aroma has some similarities to wheat beer as well, but you instantly know, that its not. Very spicy aroma. The flavour is special. Coriander and elderflower is present and a powerful saltyness, that makes this beer quite special and different. The hoppy bitterness in the end is remarkabel. All in all this is one of the best beers iíve tried, simply because it is so different to other beers iíve come across. Iíve visited this frequently over the past years, and the beer has become one of the regulars, always present in my fridge. Must say that this is beerart at its best. Might as weel admit it to myself. This is simply the nearest to beer perfection.

AndersR (195) - Ňrhus, DENMARK - AUG 13, 2002
Jesus Christ Bananas! This is the king of belgium Trappist ale! Whit not-so-lasting head, light brown and very unclear color. Slightly bitter and very distinct aroma that i cant quite place. The taste is full, complex and very bitter. Hints of hop and malt. Careful when you pour it so you dont disturb the residues on the bottom though :-O Lucky me, i have just accuired 15 bottles on my trip to Bruxelles :-D

jerohen (1963) - Bussum, NETHERLANDS - SEP 4, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2013 One of my absolute favorites, i always have a few bottles of this at home. The yeast, the sourness, the hops itís all just in perfect harmony, and that at only around 6%. Superb. Aging: Compared a fresh sample with 2 and 5 year old samples. In time, Orval seems to lose its bitterness, while the aroma becomes more sour. It becomes smoother, but less outspoken. I personally prefer a fresh bottle compared to the aged ones, although imho a 5 year old one is better than a two year old. Perhaps aging more than 5 years will make it better, but for the time being iíll stick to drinking fresh ones :-).

beerluvr199 (4) - Neptune City, New Jersey, USA - DEC 29, 2001 does not count
This is it! The reason I chose to delve deeper into all beers Belgian. Itís bottle, color, head, aroma, taste, and long bitter aftertaste are just unequalled in my book! THE Trappist ale...just wish it wasnít so gosh-darned $$! One of lifeís great luxuries!

Troobie99 (60) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 10, 2002
So much has been written about it--my drivel will add nothing. A perfect beer.