overall

RATINGS: 2354   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Brewed with hefty amounts of European malts and four kinds of American hops, it delivers a blast of hop aromas, a rich middle of malt and hops, and a thrilling finish. It weighs in at 6.5 % alcohol by volume.

Why squeeze such a big brew into a little can?

Because we think fun in the great outdoors calls for great beer. Our cans go where bottled beers canít, where flavorless canned beers donít belong. And no matter where you drink Daleís Pale Ale, our can protect it from light and oxidation far better than bottles do.

Northern Brewer for bittering, Cascade and Columbus for flavor, and a big, post-boil addition of Centennial for aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
theshocker (329) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - APR 9, 2006
Daleís Pale Ale comes in a can...it was put there by a man...in a factory, downtown... Extra point for putting this fine beer in a can. One point deducted for calling your IPA a pale ale. Light amber, clear, fluffy white head that lasts and lasts. Pleasant citrus aroma. Very bitter but drinkable, orange, cranberry, toffee. Finished smooth. Great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sersdf (1015) - chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 9, 2006
aesthetically, drinking from a can sucks. but itís a really good beer, and this is so close to an IPA. very fruity. i remember thinking it was the most balanced IPA iíve ever had, and since itís an APA, all the better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Veeve (312) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - APR 8, 2006
really good beer for a can. a little hoppy for my taste but Iím not a huge fan of hops to begin with. flavors here are a bit watered down and evolve in your mouth as if running down a spiral slide. floral hops, pine and citrus. not a bad everyday beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mkgrenwel (572) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - APR 7, 2006
Nice standard floral cascade aroma. This led me to believe that the flavor wouldnít be anything unique, but I was wrong. Actually seems to start with a good hop bitterness, then transitions into the nice malt character. Caramel malt coats the entire mouth, filling it with flavor. Fresh, floral hops. Also reminds me of soap a good bit, but not in a bad way, more in the thick, coating texture. The drawback to this is a flat feeling beer. I feel like the can thing has actually garnered this beer better ratings than it would get out of a bottle.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
joca (4) - USA - APR 1, 2006 does not count
Wow. Pleasanlty surprised out of a can. A sweet color. Hops! The finish is nice, a bit dry. Best canned beer?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - MAR 31, 2006
This is my favorite, everyday beer. The head is nice and frothy and lasts a decent amount of time. Not a hop bomb, but plenty of hops and sweet maltiness. Lots of floral hops, not so much citrus and chewy. Plenty of carbonation. I can and have drunk these for hours on end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lamas (1368) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 30, 2006
Can. A very slightly hazy orange pour with a thick, light-tan head that leaves plenty of lace. Oranges and grapefruits in the pellety aroma. Smooth and creamy going down. Very nicely balanced. A good bit of creamy caramel and malts upfront followed by some bitter, citrusy hops. The finish is more crisp than bitter. Very enjoyable. Itís strange to have such a tasty beer from a can.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
NachlamSie (2796) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 30, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2014 can. man, this stuff is great. Itís attractive in the glass with a firm copper hue and rocky terrain of a head, though I kind of like the humor value of drinking it straight from the can. Daleís is everything an APA should be from the deep, floral, spicy aroma to the grapefruit-tinged, piney, zesty, green tea flavor. Excellent work done here, very complex and savory.

[Nov 10, 2007]
What a consistent, well balanced, tastesful American pale ale. Itís all about the American hops here, with nicely bitter grapefruit, pine, and citrus all around. Malts are light and add a respectable, clean sweetness. This is an excellent drink.
[August 17, 2008]
Cans are awesome. When I packed my cooler for my stay on the beach I found the bottles to be awkward and always clanging around. I couldnít make optimum use of the space in my cooler at all. Itís supposed to be able to hold 75 cans, but I could probably get twenty-some-odd bottles in there. Iíd say the only thing holding the disorganized lot together was the abundance of Daleís, Gordon, and Ten Fidy. I was already appreciating the glorious aluminum vessel before I even cracked one open to indulge, but once I did I thanked Oskar Blues again for canning this fine beer. The hops are solid and intact, no oxidation to be found anywhere. The airtight and completely opaque material works wonders for preservation. After Iíd down one of these delicious suckers Iíd merely crush the can down and have a fraction of the volume of waste of a glass bottle. Thank you Oskar Blues, thank you.
[August 22, 2008]
Can. And not just for "novelty" purposes. The can is the best possible vessel available to store beer for human consumption in the 21st century. This is a very good looking APA. Itís cloudy, orange, and has a very tall, rocky head that never fully disappears. Lacing is thick on the snifter. Loads of hops are found in the aroma from grapefruit to pine from weed to wood. The malts lean towards toffee while pleasing bitterness hits all points of the palate during the drink. Putting away a few of these is way too easy.
[March 10, 2014]
Ah, Daleís. Weíve been through so much together. I remember the honeymoon period when I first saw craft beer in cans thanks to Oskar Blues. I remember preaching how cans were a superior vessel after the initial novelty and fascination wore off. I recall Daleís having a slip in quality and abandoning it for a while. Then Oskar Blues opened up its second facility in NC and I had to give it a try again. Daleís had regained my appreciation. Since I have moved to Colorado and Daleís is everywhere. Itís the saving grace at the shitty dive bar across the street from my apartment, itís yelled out by the vendors at the Nuggets games, itís on tap at 90% of the music venues in town. Itís a decent beer and Iím thankful itís so readily available. i still love what Oskar Blues is doing with the cans. Iím gonna have to make the trip to get a "crowler". Anyway, Daleís is just a little heftier on the malt side than I generally prefer a pale ale to be. The hops are certainly there to impart bitterness and token grapefruit and pine but donít have that green, refreshing quality I like from pale ales. They seem to work the "we have higher alcohol content than others in the style" angle and sometimes thatís okay. But really, if I reach for a pale ale, I want a medium bodied, decently-hoppy beer with clear flavors. This isnít quite an IPA either as the hops donít pop out like they should.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
waolsen (1360) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - MAR 27, 2006
Nice dark colored ipa with healthy head. Classic IPA aroma. Very smooth, hoppy, grapefruit. Nice bite. Great drinking IPA. love it.

grat (433) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 25, 2006
This beer confirms for me why this is my favorite style of beer. Massive brew I think. Burnt orange beer. Frothy, immortal head. Sticky. You can tell by the carbonation that this beer will be oily, slick and malty in an excellent way. nose is full of malty sweetness. Extremely aromatic, cedar, vanilla and cocoa. Hops balance things out. Not green hops rather much more pearly and floral. Flavord are immediatlely sweet. Malt profile is full and thick. This gives way to a perfumey hop bitterness that plays nicely with the woody vanilla malt profile. Minty bitter finish. Powerful beer. Mouthfeel is oily and full.