overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1711   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Our “Velvet M-80” is a hefty, dry hopped double-red ale with a nose full of aroma, a sticky mouthfeel, a malty middle and unctuous hop flavors. G’Knight sports a surprisingly sensuous finish for a beer of its size (8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs). It’s brewed in tribute to a fellow Colorado craft beer pioneer and Vietnam vet who died fighting a 2002 wild fire outside of our Lyons hometown. For all the details behind this tribute follow this link to www.N3978Y.com. G’Mornin’. G’Day. G’Knight.

Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - JAN 17, 2007
Can, sent to me all the way across the pond by Alaskanwarren. Thanks bro! Copper red with a lusciously sticky and persistant beige cap of foam. Huge wet green hop aroma. Herbal and jasmine sort of hop character. Pungent green hop flavor--not harsh, but very, very full. The jasmine in the aroma is definately there in the flavor too, which seems like a really unusual flavor component for an IIPA. Flavor moves from almost overwhelming hops to a tanic nip to a soft sweetness, to a long lingering tongue coating bitterness. Ah hops, I have missed you. Hold me in your leafy arms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ross (2118) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JAN 16, 2007
Can that I have wanted to try for a long time, and fortunatly Sean was able to grab this one on one of his trips. Pours out with a big smooth nice slow head, all of which describe sean’s abilities. Smell is hoppy, grassy, some pine notes and a touch of alcohol. Taste is smooth and rich and somewhat metallic at first, but that subsides pretty quickly. This was a good beer from a seemingly good brewery. I wish I could buy this near charlotte.. would be good to have a can or 2 around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Duane shared a can of this with me, thanks! Very cloudy copper orange color. Citrusy and somewhat sugary aroma. Very citrusy hoppy flavor. For 90 IBUs this was very smooth and easy drinking while still having a nice hoppy kick to it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
emacgee (4239) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Courtesy of brewblackhole. Nice color, reddish amber and you can’t see through it. The head was there, not really thing per se (like an impy. stout or barley wine), just not really thick. The aroma is nice, piney and spicy hop, definitely smell bitterness, some malty sweetness. Wonderfully balanced aroma. However, I’ve recently had several beers that let me down with taste after putting up a wonderful aroma so we’ll see. Ok, tastes like a powerful IPA, makes sense, definitely bitter and dry, but it has a sweet fruit background to it thats appreciable. I rarely like something that is bitter to be bitter and the fact that this does something else makes me appreciate it. The palate was actually pretty harsh at first, waxy and attackingly bitter, but as you drink more it mellows out. The finish follows suite, bitter and a tad bit warm, this is the only area the supposed 9.2% comes in. I’m not an IPA/bitter fan but I can’t help myself from rating this fairly well, so good job Oskar Blues.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
aubreya (676) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Received through trade with brewblackhole. The color was an amber color with a thin, off white head. The aroma was amazing. There was a very strong fruit smell. It reminded me of peach cobbler with the prominent peach and spice smell. I didn’t smell much hops considering that this beer is a double IPA. The flavor was a nice tart apricot flavor with bitter hops. The palate was thin and carbonated. The finish was bitter and sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
muenster (345) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Can!!! Pours copper/amber. Nice aroma of cutrusy-pineapple, sticky, resiny hops. Also some sweet caramel malts. Flavor is strong bitter grapefruit, citrus, biting hops, again a nice sweet malty balance, and a wonderful alcohol warming finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Rballs01 (280) - Madison, New Jersey, USA - JAN 12, 2007
Pours a copper-orange. The glass is a cloudy hop-haze. Full powered hops on the first sip followed by a warming alcohol coating. What a brilliant colored beer and complex balance. Definitely worth the $. Cheers Gordo!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
smhncabot (310) - Cabot, Arkansas, USA - JAN 12, 2007
poured big off-white head which retained and laced well. nose was yeasty, raisin malty, with some floral earthy hops. taste was pretty much the same a little sweet and not hoppy enough.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - JAN 12, 2007
I’d been searching for this for some time and was disappointed when on a trip to Colorado last June I couldn’t find it after going to six different beer stores. but thanks to captaincougar, I was finally able to get one of these 12 oz. cans, thanks Tom. pours an orangey amber with a dense foamy head. very citrus nose, especially grapefruit up front. some malt lurking in the background, but mostly hops. alcohol was not completely hidden, but not a distraction. a very enjoyable beer and one I hope I get my hands on again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bscanlon (18) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 11, 2007
draft and can sampled. liked the draft better, however you cant pass up drinking beer from a can every once in a while. citrusy, mainly grapefruit. it seemed to twinge the tongue on the way down. alcohol very present in this one. obviously the best beer in a can ever.