overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1717   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Our “Velvet M-80” is a hefty, dry hopped double-red ale with a nose full of aroma, a sticky mouthfeel, a malty middle and unctuous hop flavors. G’Knight sports a surprisingly sensuous finish for a beer of its size (8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs). It’s brewed in tribute to a fellow Colorado craft beer pioneer and Vietnam vet who died fighting a 2002 wild fire outside of our Lyons hometown. For all the details behind this tribute follow this link to www.N3978Y.com. G’Mornin’. G’Day. G’Knight.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
aubreya (676) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Received through trade with brewblackhole. The color was an amber color with a thin, off white head. The aroma was amazing. There was a very strong fruit smell. It reminded me of peach cobbler with the prominent peach and spice smell. I didn’t smell much hops considering that this beer is a double IPA. The flavor was a nice tart apricot flavor with bitter hops. The palate was thin and carbonated. The finish was bitter and sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
muenster (345) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Can!!! Pours copper/amber. Nice aroma of cutrusy-pineapple, sticky, resiny hops. Also some sweet caramel malts. Flavor is strong bitter grapefruit, citrus, biting hops, again a nice sweet malty balance, and a wonderful alcohol warming finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Rballs01 (281) - Madison, New Jersey, USA - JAN 12, 2007
Pours a copper-orange. The glass is a cloudy hop-haze. Full powered hops on the first sip followed by a warming alcohol coating. What a brilliant colored beer and complex balance. Definitely worth the $. Cheers Gordo!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
smhncabot (310) - Cabot, Arkansas, USA - JAN 12, 2007
poured big off-white head which retained and laced well. nose was yeasty, raisin malty, with some floral earthy hops. taste was pretty much the same a little sweet and not hoppy enough.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - JAN 12, 2007
I’d been searching for this for some time and was disappointed when on a trip to Colorado last June I couldn’t find it after going to six different beer stores. but thanks to captaincougar, I was finally able to get one of these 12 oz. cans, thanks Tom. pours an orangey amber with a dense foamy head. very citrus nose, especially grapefruit up front. some malt lurking in the background, but mostly hops. alcohol was not completely hidden, but not a distraction. a very enjoyable beer and one I hope I get my hands on again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bscanlon (18) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 11, 2007
draft and can sampled. liked the draft better, however you cant pass up drinking beer from a can every once in a while. citrusy, mainly grapefruit. it seemed to twinge the tongue on the way down. alcohol very present in this one. obviously the best beer in a can ever.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2007
Bright orange-amber body with a dense foamy ivory head. Nice hop profile of sweet tropical fruits and cedar, plus a light crystal malt underbelly. Very tasty flavor with some candied qualities, more sweet than bitter style-wise, but not overly so. Bitterness gradually develops. This would be out of this world if brewed for a little more apparent attenuation, but regardless this is truly an amazing achievement among canned beverages. I’d happily go fishing with Gordon.

shigadeyo (3131) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - JAN 8, 2007
What is that I see floating amongst the bottles in my sea of craft beer? Do my eyes deceive me or is that a CAN of beer?! I believe it is! How did that get in there?! Wait, it’s a can of Oskar Blues Gordon... I must admit that it feels a bit awkward pouring a Double IPA from a can into a tulip glass. What is the can but a vessel to get it from the brewery to my mouth anyways?! Who said great beer needs to come in a bottle? After all, cans are lighter, cheaper, and more picnic friendly. Wouldn’t it be great to take some really good beer such as this one on a camping or canoe trip with you and not have to worry about and deal with glass bottles?! Hell yeah! Now, back ti the actual rating... Oskar Blues Gordon pours in a silky stream. It is a clear red-copper color and has a creamy ivory head that settles down to a frothy crown that sticks to the glass (nice lacing). A super fresh citrus and piney hops aroma bursts from the glass. Further inspection reveals a sweet, caramel maltiness. Oh, how the aroma draws me in! That same sweet caramel maltiness is even deeper in the flavor. It is also packed full of massive hop flavor (pine, some citrus peel) and bitterness (aggressive, yet smooth and pleasing). A bit of complimentary alcohol comes through in the finish and is a good reminder of the higher alcohol content (8.7% ABV) of this fine brew. Gordon is on the thicker side and clings to everything - the glass, your mouth, your tongue, and your throat! It has a mild level of carbonation that makes it soft, smooth, and creamy on the palate. Overall this beer is well balanced between its deep maltiness and bold hoppiness. I would love to have a canned beer this good to throw in the backpack for trips! -- By the way, I also snuck a few sips from the can just to see what it was like. That too was a strange feeling - drinking a Double IPA directly from a can! Regardless, it was pretty damn good straight from the can. Why even bother pouring it?! Well, the beautiful color is worth the pour... 12 oz can from jimbowood. Thanks Jimbo. This was a real treat! -- Rating #200 for this beer and #378 for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 8, 2007
Thanks for the can Kevin! Pours deep coper with a billowing beige froth, leading into a solid protein cap with spiderweb lace. Superb pine needle aroma, fresh leafy greens, marijuana leafs, and spicy malts balancing out the slight gasoline notes and are actually enjoyable. Its flavourful as hell with the fresh leafy hop tannins coming right through,and there’s some mild spicy malts, with orange peel and lemons, but this one is pretty hop forward, and not about complete balance. Very creamy and way too easy to drink considering the ABV. Smooth as silk and I was left wanting hops for dinner. Thanks Kev.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GarrettB (1162) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 6, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2012 I was elated to find out that good, well respected beer can come in a can. It always seemed unfair that the jacket of a beer should determine what’s inside, and I saw no reason, scientific or otherwise why a hard aluminum coating would discount the quality of the drink. That, and I rather like the aluminum can. It rolls for cheap entertainment, is more portable, has a lower center of gravity and doesn’t break into a million pieces when carelessly dropped. And so my first experience with a good beer housed in a shining cylinder I chose (or rather, was given) a can of Gordon from Oskar Blues. As Kepano mentioned to me at the time, it is extremely tempting to slurp it out of the can, but the benefactor who bequeathed it to me expressly warned against it. Strange as it was, I poured it into a tulip glass anyway. The head puffs and yawns to fill the whole thing, and I barely managed to keep it within the glass confines of its new abode. I left for a bit and when I returned the head had settled into a maritime image, for lo, there was what appeared to be a pink chunk of coral floating in my drink. It had pock marks both small and large that connected to each other in subterranean tunnels amidst a craggy terrain of ups and downs that reminded me of my few pieces of coral taken from beaches as souvenirs. Beneath that strange ocean phenomenon is the Gordon itself, very similar to the description that adorns the lip of the can “Red.” Succinct, but fair enough. Granted, it is an Imperial IPA, so the aroma consists mostly of hops. It’s a kind of hops that kindles interest, though, not caution. There’s also the slightest shot of grapefruit to prod the palate with a little sweetness. There’s also a third face to the beer here, and the one I find most interesting. See, in Colorado we’re very proud of our mountains even though half our state is as flat as Rachel Ray’s sense of humor. We’re even proud of the fact that we hollowed out a ton of them and filled the streams with chemical refuse. We offer tours of these defunct tunnels into the earth, and the abundant minerals and soil combined with ample water has a very pleasing but peculiar smell to it, and I sort of catch it in the Gordon. The taste has it too, though it’s more similar to mineral water than water dripping from stalactites. The whole mouth profile opens with this metallic, mineral wave and then buckles down with an attenuated grapefruit note. That flavor zigzags across the tongue on a downhill course towards the throat, where it crashes with another light mineral flavor before slipping down the throat. After a few sips that all tell the same terrestrial story I begin to notice a tiny hint of porter qualities. This may have been the malts coming out with a little thermal energy. I immediately associated it with some chocolate and wine characters, which fit in rather nicely with the pre-dominant metallic substance that is the flavor standard-bearer for Gordon. It’s slightly bitterer than I like, but just by a hair, and that astringency keeps reminding you that, even from a can you’re drinking a good beer that won’t let itself be ignored. Updated notes from July 12th, 2011 - Thin head, hazy orange red. Light floral hops, with some mellow sweet pine aromas, a slight touch of graham. Medium, slightly heavy body, with some bitterness, but not too much. On the sweeter side, featuring pine, but also a more complex almost marmalade type sweetness with a long aftertaste that has a touch of pine, but more of a cognac, honey sweetness.