overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1810   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Our “Velvet M-80” is a hefty, dry hopped double-red ale with a nose full of aroma, a sticky mouthfeel, a malty middle and unctuous hop flavors. G’Knight sports a surprisingly sensuous finish for a beer of its size (8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs). It’s brewed in tribute to a fellow Colorado craft beer pioneer and Vietnam vet who died fighting a 2002 wild fire outside of our Lyons hometown. For all the details behind this tribute follow this link to www.N3978Y.com. G’Mornin’. G’Day. G’Knight.

shigadeyo (3635) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 8, 2007
What is that I see floating amongst the bottles in my sea of craft beer? Do my eyes deceive me or is that a CAN of beer?! I believe it is! How did that get in there?! Wait, it’s a can of Oskar Blues Gordon... I must admit that it feels a bit awkward pouring a Double IPA from a can into a tulip glass. What is the can but a vessel to get it from the brewery to my mouth anyways?! Who said great beer needs to come in a bottle? After all, cans are lighter, cheaper, and more picnic friendly. Wouldn’t it be great to take some really good beer such as this one on a camping or canoe trip with you and not have to worry about and deal with glass bottles?! Hell yeah! Now, back ti the actual rating... Oskar Blues Gordon pours in a silky stream. It is a clear red-copper color and has a creamy ivory head that settles down to a frothy crown that sticks to the glass (nice lacing). A super fresh citrus and piney hops aroma bursts from the glass. Further inspection reveals a sweet, caramel maltiness. Oh, how the aroma draws me in! That same sweet caramel maltiness is even deeper in the flavor. It is also packed full of massive hop flavor (pine, some citrus peel) and bitterness (aggressive, yet smooth and pleasing). A bit of complimentary alcohol comes through in the finish and is a good reminder of the higher alcohol content (8.7% ABV) of this fine brew. Gordon is on the thicker side and clings to everything - the glass, your mouth, your tongue, and your throat! It has a mild level of carbonation that makes it soft, smooth, and creamy on the palate. Overall this beer is well balanced between its deep maltiness and bold hoppiness. I would love to have a canned beer this good to throw in the backpack for trips! -- By the way, I also snuck a few sips from the can just to see what it was like. That too was a strange feeling - drinking a Double IPA directly from a can! Regardless, it was pretty damn good straight from the can. Why even bother pouring it?! Well, the beautiful color is worth the pour... 12 oz can from jimbowood. Thanks Jimbo. This was a real treat! -- Rating #200 for this beer and #378 for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 8, 2007
Thanks for the can Kevin! Pours deep coper with a billowing beige froth, leading into a solid protein cap with spiderweb lace. Superb pine needle aroma, fresh leafy greens, marijuana leafs, and spicy malts balancing out the slight gasoline notes and are actually enjoyable. Its flavourful as hell with the fresh leafy hop tannins coming right through,and there’s some mild spicy malts, with orange peel and lemons, but this one is pretty hop forward, and not about complete balance. Very creamy and way too easy to drink considering the ABV. Smooth as silk and I was left wanting hops for dinner. Thanks Kev.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GarrettB (1459) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 6, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2012 I was elated to find out that good, well respected beer can come in a can. It always seemed unfair that the jacket of a beer should determine what’s inside, and I saw no reason, scientific or otherwise why a hard aluminum coating would discount the quality of the drink. That, and I rather like the aluminum can. It rolls for cheap entertainment, is more portable, has a lower center of gravity and doesn’t break into a million pieces when carelessly dropped. And so my first experience with a good beer housed in a shining cylinder I chose (or rather, was given) a can of Gordon from Oskar Blues. As Kepano mentioned to me at the time, it is extremely tempting to slurp it out of the can, but the benefactor who bequeathed it to me expressly warned against it. Strange as it was, I poured it into a tulip glass anyway. The head puffs and yawns to fill the whole thing, and I barely managed to keep it within the glass confines of its new abode. I left for a bit and when I returned the head had settled into a maritime image, for lo, there was what appeared to be a pink chunk of coral floating in my drink. It had pock marks both small and large that connected to each other in subterranean tunnels amidst a craggy terrain of ups and downs that reminded me of my few pieces of coral taken from beaches as souvenirs. Beneath that strange ocean phenomenon is the Gordon itself, very similar to the description that adorns the lip of the can “Red.” Succinct, but fair enough. Granted, it is an Imperial IPA, so the aroma consists mostly of hops. It’s a kind of hops that kindles interest, though, not caution. There’s also the slightest shot of grapefruit to prod the palate with a little sweetness. There’s also a third face to the beer here, and the one I find most interesting. See, in Colorado we’re very proud of our mountains even though half our state is as flat as Rachel Ray’s sense of humor. We’re even proud of the fact that we hollowed out a ton of them and filled the streams with chemical refuse. We offer tours of these defunct tunnels into the earth, and the abundant minerals and soil combined with ample water has a very pleasing but peculiar smell to it, and I sort of catch it in the Gordon. The taste has it too, though it’s more similar to mineral water than water dripping from stalactites. The whole mouth profile opens with this metallic, mineral wave and then buckles down with an attenuated grapefruit note. That flavor zigzags across the tongue on a downhill course towards the throat, where it crashes with another light mineral flavor before slipping down the throat. After a few sips that all tell the same terrestrial story I begin to notice a tiny hint of porter qualities. This may have been the malts coming out with a little thermal energy. I immediately associated it with some chocolate and wine characters, which fit in rather nicely with the pre-dominant metallic substance that is the flavor standard-bearer for Gordon. It’s slightly bitterer than I like, but just by a hair, and that astringency keeps reminding you that, even from a can you’re drinking a good beer that won’t let itself be ignored. Updated notes from July 12th, 2011 - Thin head, hazy orange red. Light floral hops, with some mellow sweet pine aromas, a slight touch of graham. Medium, slightly heavy body, with some bitterness, but not too much. On the sweeter side, featuring pine, but also a more complex almost marmalade type sweetness with a long aftertaste that has a touch of pine, but more of a cognac, honey sweetness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
shrubber85 (10670) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - JAN 5, 2007
Can. Strong pine and grapefruit hops aroma. Dark amber with large head. Nice sweet caramel malt flavor with a suprisingly mild grapefruit/orange hops finish. Very nicely blended with bitterness not overwhelming the overall flavor. Amazing how Oskar Blues can get such great beer in a can.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ungstrup (34322) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - JAN 3, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2007 A deep red beer with an orange head. The aroma is very hoppy combined with notes of caramel. The flavor is sweet malty with notes of caramel, and light notes of hops, and even wood in the end, which is dry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - JAN 2, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 17, 2007 Sweet, malty, hoppy aroma and a twinge of alcohol. Taste is of floral and citrus hops (slightly grapefruit and rindy) with a slight bitterness. Good malt balance, maybe a bit too sweet and cloying rather than sticky. Still, well made.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ughsmash (7508) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 2, 2007
Canned. Poured a deep translucent copper with a short-lived cap of white head. Nose picked up lots of juicy fruits that I’m a sucker for (pear, grapefruit, sliced melon) and some rummy caramel. Flavor found tangy and juicy fruit bitterness that coated the mouth well... pears and grapefruit at the finish.. sticky. This had some sharper alcohol and bitter points around the tongue and was thick and almost syrupy on the back-end. Good stuff overall.

TURDFERGUSON (4045) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 30, 2006
355mL can. I really feel compelled to drink at least some of this directly out of the can. Ill pour 3/4 into my snifer and sip on the can a bit first. It says this beer is bottle-conditioned and sold in corked 750’s, i wonder if its now can-conditioned now that its sold in a different container. Is can conditioning possible? Pours a deep copper with a small off-white head. Aroma is lotsa fresh, earthy and resinous, grapefruit laced dry hops. Medium bodied with good hop flavor and a nice balance of sweet malts. Flavors (both hop and malt) are not as pronounced as some double ipa’s, but I like that and it really causes the beer to stand out from the rest (in additon to it being served in a green, white, and silver can!) Very quaffable for 9.2%. Worth the hype.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CraftAlelvr (9) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 28, 2006 does not count
This is one of the most balanced DIPA’s I have had. It has the kick in the ass hops, but is balanced with a with a thick palate and a malty backbone. Sexy dark mohogany body too. Yummy! Where CAN I find more - pun intended..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thebaldwizard (1206) - Ohio, USA - DEC 28, 2006
Thanks to BeerandBlues2 for this one. Pours a hazy reddish orange with little to no head. The aroma is absolutely wonderful--grapefruit and floral hints combine for a nice aromatic experience. Thick and sticky mouthfeel (big and red too...). The taste reveals a huge amount of malt with lots of hops balancing the opposite side of the spectrum. The hops are harsh and cut through the caramel malt flavors to create a very refreshing beer.