overall

RATINGS: 1074   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Emphasizing that complexity of character can arise from simple elements, this ale is made with three malts and one hop. Its light amber color and slightly spicy malt character are derived from the use of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt respectively. North American 2-row barley combines with the other grains to lay the foundation for the hop onslaught to come. Summit hops are used exclusively in the boil for bitterness, flavor and aroma but it doesn’t end there. Post-fermentation dry hopping allows the 10% ABV monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma to join the 100 IBUs already present. This beer should greet you with a pungent citrus blast, provide a spicy yet round middle and finish with a brisk, clean bitterness. Columbus in early and mid kettle.
** This beer will now feature different hops in the massive dry hop every year.
2014 - Sorachi Ace, Mosaic, and Chinook. Incredibly complex mix of lemon zest, pineapple, red berries, peach, and a hint of dank earthiness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
gorditoabd (624) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 23, 2010
Can, of course. Pours the orange of wood treatment oil as piney, citrusy love. Aroma is all pine hops and, perhaps, just a smidge of grapefruit. Taste is fair, although in this can, there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. The initial taste is nice DIPA pineyness, but the mid- to late-palate goes in a weirdly bitter, lemon-oil direction that I can’t say I greatly favor. Think I need to let my other 3 cans cool a touch and re-rate later this week. Think I agree with previous raters that, as is expected with and IPA or DIPA, freshness is a big deal here. Something a little too like Lemon Pledge involved in this one, and much more watery in the overall body and mouthfeel than I would have expected for 10% ABV. Hmmmmm.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 23, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2010 Pours a light copper with medium head. The aroma is dominated by pungent weed and citrus hop flavors that really pop out o the glass. The taste starts off with a moderately sweet, resinous malt base and builds with intense hop flavors that match the aroma. It seems balanced pretty well at first, but after a few sips the bitterness really outweighs the malt. Overall, it is a nice IPA, but I was glad I split the can. I couldn’t see myself drinking more than one of these like I could some other strong IPAs. My favorite aspect is the beautiful aroma, but the combo of resinous malt and extreme bitterness just isn’t my preference in an Imperial IPA. Drink this one fresh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WeeHeavySD (3359) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - MAR 23, 2010
can from chevy chase wine and liqour a pricey can. pours golden orange with a fading bright white head. nose is huge with a big citrus resin bomb. taste is sweet and cirussy but kind of one dimensional. its a decent dipa, but not as excellent as i might have expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - MAR 22, 2010
12oz $5 can from Holiday Wine Cellar. Bought it so I can get another 10% rating. The can says 10%, but ratebeer says 9.5%. arg. Anywho, with a strong pour into my ratebeer glass, the head is small white, small bubbles fading medium fast. Deep yellow color. Aroma is mildly hoppy, some chlorophenols, a hint of melanodin. Medium hop bitterness, like an underripe mango. Certainly not 100IBUs anymore. Leans sweet, and first taste is surprizingly wonderful. Pretty good. IIPAs are always better local, but at least the can eliminates skunkiness. I’m starting to enjoy my IIPAs less sweet and with more nose pounding dry hopping, which doesn’t stick around well in the truck from Colorado to San Diego. It’s a pretty good beer anyway. Nicely drinkable, especially for 10%.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 22, 2010
This started out as a very good beer. Unfortunately a week later after I finished the fourth one I was sure I would never buy it again. Don;t get me wrong this beer was exactly as advertised, huge, super-hoppy double IPA. Too bad it was all Summit hops. All I could smell was pine, cattiness, pine oil and the taste was identical with the added qualities of parmesan and pepper.. I prefer a hop profile that has a citrus element of some sort to balance out the pine. If you like Maharaja or Green Flash Imperial IPA you will probably like this. Serving type: can Reviewed on: 03-23-2010 03:11:47

GMCC2181 (1516) - Newark, Delaware, USA - MAR 22, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2010 Can man! Picked up at StateLine... Funky aroma of some super pine needles and citrus?? Nice light orange color... small head. I drank this on the warmer side. almost 55-60 degrees. Taste is a smooth drinkable DIPA. Nicely balanced. Grapefruit, citrus, pines needles but doesnt seem that high in the IBU scale... Just a skunky ipa...but not in a bad way. Texture is on the lighter side. Overall a nice DIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bvc (1161) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - MAR 22, 2010
12oz can stamped on the bottom with ’canned with care 03-15-10 @06:15 hop grenade’. Pours a clear caramel/orange golden with small off white head that also has some larger fish eye bubbles. Nose has light fruity citrus, touch of spicey pine, touch of resin, hints of garlic and caramel. Very light but tight and somewhat creamy carb feel. Upfront it is caramel/orangey lightly sweet, reinous pine and bitter grassiness. Finish is peppery with some dry cracker like bittering as well as some alcohol warming. I’m not a fan of summits, so I had low hopes going in, but not a bad beer...just not a dipa that I will feel drawn to again anytime soon. Love canned beer and love the dating...keep em coming OB!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
19Ei8hty (1167) - Washington, USA - MAR 22, 2010
Beautiful amber body with a towering light ecru head. Beast of a malt backbone, strong sweet and spicy. Strange nose that immediately makes me think of a Jolly Rancher fruitiness. Apple peel really stands out although I think its the rye playing tricks with me - it almost smells like the makings of pre-cooked apple pie filling. Grapefruit throughout -each drink strikes the senses as if being sprayed with a freshly peeled rind to the face.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - MAR 22, 2010
Draft at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver. Big white head with a sturdy, drable head over a deep gold body. Huge citrus aroma that is fresh and inviting, aromas of honey and light fruit lurk underneath. Quite smooth, without harshness or offensive bitterness. The citrus character is massive, almost like drinking grapefruit juice. Very well balanced for a beer with such high IBU’s as the bitterness is refreshing and palate cleansing, but not overpowering. One of the best imperial IPA’s that I have had in a long time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
acblue (91) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 21, 2010
Pours light amber with a medium white head. Big citrus aroma. Flavor is heavy citrus bitterness, good malt presence and a wonderful piney finish. One of the most well balanced IIPAs I’ve had.