overall

RATINGS: 2154   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 98   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. Ten FIDY (10.5% ABV) is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops. Ten FIDY is the ultimate celebration of dark malts and boundary-stretching beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
19Ei8hty (1167) - Washington, USA - MAR 11, 2008
Fantastic - Dark as a moonless night. Creamy ale, very smooth (like half-and-half) and heavy bodied. Rich, very rich, moderately bittered dark chocolate, and even some smooth milk chocolate - very heavy on - with an ensemble of earthy notes, not to mention a skosh of lightly roasted coffee bean. Dry and satisfying with a nice oat presence on the finish. Amazing drink - liquid obsidian gold.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 10, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2012 Can from tytoanderso - thanks, Tyler!! Whoa, what a big, oily pour this is. I love it when a beer is so thick and dank that even the head - which might otherwise be a soft cafe au lait color - gets infected by the darkness, which bleeds through mercilessly! Yes!!! And did I mention that the strong molasses aroma was a certainty to win me over? Man, good stuff. Itís as smooth and creamy as a nice sweet stout but with the character of a face-wrecking impy; diverse flavors like the Abyss, but dangerously drinkable. Color me impressed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
riversideAK (5650) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - MAR 10, 2008
Can from ucusty. Pours ink black, exploded out of the can. A great brown head lingers and fades to a nice fluffy layer. In the aroma there are notes of big woody hops, chocolate and roasted malts. Flavor of bitter earthy hops, maybe bitter chocolate, and some dry roast. Pretty damn hoppy actually, almost to the point of over powering everything else in there. Creamy body, incredibly smooth, alcohol is hard to detect. I was expecting this to be a little more malty, but I am currently in the process of enjoying it, and I am not complaining.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
raiderfost (168) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - MAR 9, 2008
After waiting a long time to get hold of this one (thanks for getting this in Kevin) Id have to say very upsetting. Not nearly the beer i have been reading about in the reviews.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Rastacouere (6142) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 9, 2008
Objectively speaking: A very black, very thick imperial stout with a massive hop finish that leaves lingering roughness.
I like: Assuming its impy state with a thick, chewy palate. Pretentious can. Pitch Black, very dark head.
I dislike: Rough hoppiness. Very dry finish appearing out of nowhere, suddenly demolishing the roast and lingering with a rubber/plastic flavour. Was that phenols or just hoppy/roasty exuberance? Either way, a punishment on the tongue - like Iím out of the dentist, staying miles away from the usually americanized, yet diplomatic Oskar Blues offerings. No fruitiness whatsoever, rather simplistic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MartinT (8236) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 9, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2010 My Bottom Line:
Wealthy oatmeal bulks up the dark chocolate, raisins and nutty coffee beans, leading to a firm roasted bitterness for a chewy and highly pleasurable Imperial Stout.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A darkened sheet of foam tops the light-sucking black hole.
-Black currant-like (or raisins) fruitiness is found within.
-Wooden hoppiness teams up with the roasted malts throughout.
-The body is a great feature on this one; heavy but malleable, providing nourishment yet remaining drinkable for its size.
-I love that biscuity oatmeal character in Imperial Stouts!

Cans.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DragonsHead (140) - Morgantown, West Virginia, USA - MAR 9, 2008
Had on draft at Fatheads. Beautiful dark brownish black. Good aroma with a lot of roasted malt and hops. Big roasted flavor with strong hops. Something different from a stout. love this beer.

rudolf (2342) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAR 8, 2008
First, the story. I had received a can of the first canned batch of this from my Secret Santa. I stashed it away in the basement until the time seemed right. That night, while watching Lost In Translation, I started sipping on a wonderful beer. Unfortunately I ended up finding Stoutworm, a crazy sediment thing. I posted a picture of what I had found on Ratebeer and someone (it turned out it was Dale) from the brewery got in touch with me quickly, apologized and asked if they could somehow replace it. Awesome customer service, I declined - strange things happen. No huge deal & I knew I would come across a can at some point in the future Fast forward a couple of months. Mike (swoopjones) from Coleís contacts me and lets me know that Dale is going to be in town for dinner. Mike asks if I want to come out to meet him. I think itíd be fun to meet someone who makes great beers and having more or less forgotten about the stoutworm I head out the door to Coleís. On the walk over I remember what happened and wonder if this guy Iím meeting will know about it. I get to Coleís & Mike introduces me around the table before I sit down. As Iím sitting down Mike says "Tell Dale who you are." So I say something like "I donít know if you saw it, but I started a thread on Ratebeer - I found this thing in my Ten FIDY..." which gets the response "Holy Shit! Youíre the guy! Iíve gotta take your picture. My brewers arenít going to believe me that I met you!" Much good natured ribbing ensued. Dale is a great guy. A bunch of us hung out at Coleís for hours, talking & drinking good beer. I walked home with a replacement can of Ten FIDY (which this rating is based on.) So Dale, Thanks. I appreciate it. Hope that my soutworm post didnít cause you too much of a headache. Keep making great beers and Iíll keep being a loyal customer (and recommending your beers to friends!) the review: Black, tan/ruby head with nice lacing. Nose is espresso & burnt malt, aggressive hops. Alcohol is noticeable but not overly so. Burnt fruits - Iím thinking of some kind of glaze that got slightly torched. Cocoa as well. Flavor is sweet toffee at first, quickly followed by those hops & slightly burnt malt. There is a bit of a bitter chocolate milk thing going on here. More of that heavily roasted fruit going on too. cocoa comes out more in the finish (which goes on forever) Very, very nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - MAR 8, 2008
Pours black, of course. Aroma of cocoa and cardboard. Swirling brings out anise and some woodsy notes, but itís hard to get past that cardboard. Fortunately, the flavor is all goodness: rich cocoa, bitter espresso, dry earth, and smoke. A light metallic tinge keeps the flavor from being a 10. Somewhat thick on the palate, but not as creamy as I expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 8, 2008
Pours a black color with a medium mocha head. Aroma is chocolate, coffee, cardboard, and some alcohol. Taste is rich is chocolate and earthiness. The palate ruins this for me......just too damn bitter for a Stout.