overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Honiton, England

RATINGS: 83   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Bottled, filtered, Occasional;
The purest spring water drawn from the River Otter is used to brew this traditional 19th Century-style IPA with a bit of a twist. Handcrafted with English floor malts and our very own yeast, we have added five of the US Pacific Northwest’s most citrus-flavored, aromatic whole cone hops to create a new, complex, highly drinkable beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
barbiedoll0808 (11) - New York, USA - DEC 10, 2007
Wow! what a great IPA. Deep Golden Color with a nice fruity citrusy aroma. Decent solid head leaves sticky lacing down the sides. This tastes just as the description says as a hybrid blend of one of my favourite English style IPAs that accidently incorporated America’s NW hops...In my mind this is more balanced than any American IPA I have had. Where did the 6.8% go? I’ll have another!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
chubbyhubby (11) - ENGLAND - JAN 2, 2008
This was a sneek release that I was fortunate to obtain from a friend of the brewer. I was told this one is for US export only - so a very big thanks to Patrick. I believe the name is just "Hoppy Otter IPA" as that’s all my label states. Goldeny amberish colour. Great aroma with both a grassy and citrus scent. Decent head off rough pour which leaves nice lacing. Nice sweet biscuity, caramelly crystal malt backbone. Malt balances wonderfully with the hop bitterness. A bit more highly hopped, and carbonated than normal English style IPAs...interesting and very drinkable. This is very similar to a few of the American IPAs I have had only it has kept the balance that English IPAs are notorious for. Excellent! Very well brewed. When will this be released in the UK? and Where can I find more?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pdiroquois (10) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - JUL 31, 2008
About average as IPA’s go. A little sweet and hoppy at the same time.