overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Honiton, England

RATINGS: 83   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Bottled, filtered, Occasional;
The purest spring water drawn from the River Otter is used to brew this traditional 19th Century-style IPA with a bit of a twist. Handcrafted with English floor malts and our very own yeast, we have added five of the US Pacific Northwest’s most citrus-flavored, aromatic whole cone hops to create a new, complex, highly drinkable beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
demdeac40 (299) - Etowah, North Carolina, USA - FEB 8, 2009
Pours a nice golden amber with a small and quickly disappearing head. The nose is citrus (orange) with a little pine. Something in the nose comes off sour. Flavor is the same. A little malt but some odd sour note. This beer may be old. Gonna have to try it again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - APR 22, 2008
20080422 50cl bottle picked up at Spirits in Red Bank. Copper color with thin film of white head. Aroma is at first a pleasant burst of pine and citrusy hops, a bit floral, and pretty promising. But then it goes dramatically downhill. I’m sitting here at the desk looking around for the garbage smell. I check the kitchen and smell nothing, thought maybe the dog had gas, nope and nope. Realized the smell was mostly around my desk, picked up the glass to look at the color again, it stuck to the coaster and spilled bit on my hand, I wiped the beer from my hand onto my pant leg and then realized, ’Whoa, it’s this beer that smells like garbage!?’ So I stick my nose down into the glass and, whew, there it is! Citrusy, floral, piney, and freakin’ nasty old pea soup. Oh, that’s not good. Well, I’ve got to push through this and maybe it gets better so I take a sip. Again, the front if filled with nice enough hops, pithy, a bit biting with a grapefruit pithiness that I quite enjoy but then, Yowza! There’s that icky, vegetal, rotten flavor, right along with the now retronasal nastiness of a bad mouthful of rotten veggies that just won’t go away. Lame, lame, lame, because, like so many UK bottled beers, this one was not cheap and now it’s going down the drain. Blech. The off flavors are not at all dominant, but so present and so nagging, they’re just utterly impossible to ignore. After enjoying yet another Twisted Thistle last night, I really wanted to love this one. Bummer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Garrat (1303) - Suffolk, ENGLAND - JUL 22, 2010
Bottle.Misty brown with a small head,aroma of hops biscuit and alcohol,taste of hops,pine,toffee malt and alcohol.