RATINGS: 296   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Jolly Roger himself smoked the malt for this Imperial Stout. This is a massive stout with a huge roasted maltiness and complex smoky, chocolate flavors coming through strong thanks to the gentle handpump and correct cellar temperature.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
johnnnniee (3164) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 24, 2011
I received this from the very generous jtrockchalk, thanks for the opportunity. Pours a solid black with a thinnish tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells of licorice, dark chocolate, roasted coffee, spicy hops and a touch of alcohol. Taste Hits first with some roast and chocolate followed by some hops and some dark dried fruits melding into a finish of roast coffee and chocolate. Thick body, creamy oily mouthfeel, low carbonation. This is a damn fine Imp stout right here. I enjoyed this one immensely. Great job Otto!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ClubGonzo (4903) - Bergen, NORWAY - NOV 13, 2010
Gift taste from some nice people @ Ølbaren, Copenhagen. Black and oily, with a tiny creamy caramel head. Aroma is thick as a brick; soy, port, cocoa, coffee and hints of coconut. Flavor is more roasty, with some smoky tones coupled with chocolate and some coffee. The palate is very light and highly drinkable, despite the ABV and the flavorful composition. A very well-made stout in the "new school" of American imperial stouts, which focus more on exploring the shades of chocolate and dark sweets. Smoothness is the word.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
5000 (6599) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - OCT 16, 2010
Bottle:   Black, moderately sized foamy light brown head, very sparce lacing.   Looks serious enough, aged even.   I think I have had this bottle just over a year now?   Heavy roasted malts, sweet, has an Oatmeal sort of sweetness.   Not overly hoppy in the nose, just malts.   Strong roasty malts, sweet, but without a strong hop presense.   Moderate to full body and mouthfeel.   Slight sour tinge.   I suspect that after more than a year the hops have faded a bit.   Still enjoyable.   Lingering Oatmeal, lactose sweetness, and roasted malts.   Not an over-the-top Imperial Stout which I like.   Enjoyed this one with some Smoked Salmon, crackers, and cream cheese.

wavers1 (915) - Notown, California, USA - OCT 5, 2010
08 vintage, courtesy of a fine trader whose name eludes me at the moment. very black viscous pour, small brown head, some spotting. the aroma is sweet with a pruney profile of dark fruits, smoke, and burnt malts. the flavor is licorice, some old coffee, some meatyness and smoke, and a very bitter aftertaste. pretty good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - OCT 3, 2010
Thanks to Tiklmelmo for sending this brew my way. I split it with my Bro in law who just retired from the Navy. The bottle poured into snifters produced a nice short lived two finger tan head, that slipped of to a nice lace. The body of the brew was dark as night. The aromas’ was nice and toasty. Yes, toasty. I got some nice roasted malts aromas’(chocolate, coffee) but also a slight smoke to it. The flavor was really good for a RIS some nice coffee notes with some chocolate thrown in. The funny thing was a got a slight hint of bourbon on this one as well but, didn’t see that it was barrel aged. The mouthfeel was good with slight carbonation. A great way to finish of my BBQ we sipped at the glasses for some time and were left wanting for more. A must try unique RIS in my book.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
douglas88 (7588) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 27, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 1, 2011 Bomber. My first Ottos beer, I lament that I didn’t have ratebeer when I lived in State College. I was drinking some decent beer, but no Ottos. Pours a totally black color with a large brown head. Slick, oily. A smoky roasted malt nose with some fruit. The flavor is rich, milky, loads of oily dark fruit, smoke, vanilla, metal. Very damn good. Re-rate: awesome, massive dark fruit, viscous.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sebletitje (8124) - Enghien, BELGIUM - SEP 26, 2010
brune foncée, col moka foncé et épais laissant qcq notes dorée visqueuses sur le verre. arôme, alcool donne un nez réchauffant, fruits noirs sont très présents. goût, malt grillé et chocolaté, fruits noirs qui reste présent jusque a la fin et deviennent plus présent au fur et à mesure que la bière se réchauffe. Les notes au palais restent remplies de note d alcool. Poudre de cacao et un finit légèrement sirop.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MrPickles (438) - Waunakee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 18, 2010
Bottle from and shared with Madvike...thanks Matt! This one took me in a few different directions and I still am not sure how I fell 100%. Smelled great! First taste seemed rather watery, but that seemed to go away and the flavors came to life as I had more of it. It was the first beer of the night so I was still with it too. I guess it is one of those I would drink again but not run out to buy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
madvike (3135) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 18, 2010
Bottle from JCapriotti...thanks Jason! - Pours jet black with a small brown foamy head. Real complex nose, with brown sugar, soy sauce, a hint of whiskey, a bit of chocolate, and a light layer of smoke over top the whole thing. Molasses, licorice, and brown sugar flavor, A bitter alcohol and roast finish that’s a bit off-putting. The same smokiness is there as well, but it’s not as full-flavored as I want in an imperial stout. There’s actually a bit of wateriness in both the flavor and in the the mouthfeel. Weird. Started off great with the smell, but overall this was just okay.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rusty (1545) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - JUN 20, 2010
Pours a rich deep blackish brown with a nice brown head. Aroma is chocolate, smoke, coffee, roasted barley, licorice, touch of dark fruit. Flavor is chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, good amount of chocolate and hop bitterness, thick mouthfeel, well balanced, all around fantastic Imperial Stout. Yum!