overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Oud Beersel
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 1176   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Geuze is a classic among the Belgian Ales, following spontaneous fermentation in wooden barrels (no yeast or sugar added), young and old Lambic are blended; which results in a dry, tart and fruity wine like taste. Oud Beersel Geuze Ale is the white sparkling wine of the ale world.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Deliririum Cafe, Brussels, Dec 2004: Poured a cloudy orange with a medium creme colored head. Very sour, musty aroma with some notes of burnt wood, hay, grass. Taste is very acidic and sour as you would expect. Light sweetness. This is a nice gueuze.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
badgerben (4540) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - NOV 26, 2004
Hazy orange color with a large head. Sour aroma, but mut if an aroma can be dry, then this is one of those. Wheat taste along with just the right balance of sourness. I still donít really know what to look for from a gueuze as they strike me as very one or two dimensional, but this is one of the best Iíve had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 22, 2004
Light Amber Coloring. White Head. I Whole Heartedly Agree with Badgerbenís Comment that, I Myself, Find Guezeís Hard to Rate As They Donít Seem to Vary A Whole Lot. I Can Tell you Which I Liked Better Then Others...But Why? I Guess I need To Drink More ;) Found This One to Be Enjoyable Though...Seemed a Bit More Astringent Than Say Lindemans.....Of Course Very Tart/Sour... But I Could Easily Drink the Bottle on This One...and That Should Say Something. Definitly Worth Trying if you Can Get Your Hands On it.

1.4
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 20, 2004
Right from the start, the aroma was very unattractive. High head and cloudy dark yellow colour. Intenselyt vinegar sour. I think you have to be desperate to drink this stuff. I just couldnít finish the bottle! Really, geuzes are not my style of beer, except perhaps a couple of them which are drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
walleye (1072) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - NOV 15, 2004
could not read the best before date looks like 2073 .poured a cloudy golden with a big white head. aroma, sour, vinegar, apples, lemon, pine, hints of ginger,with a bit of sweetness. flavor, sour fruits, some cherries, apples, cider vineger, hops, lemons that are on the way to going bad, alcohol.I am not big on this style of beer so my rating is not going to reflect the way I view this beer I do not feel I should give it a bad rating I will try this style again to see if I can start to like this style.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 4/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 13, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2005 Copenhagen beer marathon 2004, Golden color, heavy acid granny aroma and sour taste, full body, sour finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - NOV 10, 2004
375ml Best by 2073, sampled 11/10/04: Cork shoots out of the bottle, but no beer foams out. Pours with a large, white head into an orange/straw color. Mostly clear. Very tart aroma - sour apple, grapefruit, vinegar, light woods, kiwi, barnyard, yeast, cheese, pepper. Tastes more full-bodied than other gueuzes Iíve tried with plenty of carbonation. Very sour and bitter initially, slightly puckering. There are notes of lemon, sour yeasts, pine, vanilla, bubblegum, Finishes with some vanilla and nice dry, tart wood with a slight nutty taste near the very end - like itís been aged in sherry barrels. Make sure when you drink this one not to drink it too cold and also be sure to let it breathe a bit. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 10, 2004
Effervescent white head and orange-straw colored body with abundant carbonation. Nose is tart and fruity like underripe apples plus moderate brettiness with a leathery quality and a note of honey. Long, complex flavor is initially wheaty, then bretty with a hint of solvent. Late tartness leads to a long, interesting, slightly bitter and mostly dry finish. Medium body, fuller than most other gueuzes, with a vibrant mouthfeel. Overall this is an excellent, nicely rounded gueuze. Thanks slob!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - NOV 2, 2004
Pours a hazy light gold, well defined fine bubbled head. Champagne like aroma, quite sour and assertive, very dry finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
FlacoAlto (3810) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 25, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2005 375ml Best by date of 2023, Sampled October 2004
Can you spell salivate? Well god-damn I sure can. The cork forcefully explodes from this 375ml bottle as I try to take it out. The aromas are quite enticing and hypnotic as I pour this beer. The color is a rich clear copper color and is topped by a pale frothy head. The aroma is tart with notes of urea, white vinegar, grapefruit, a woodiness, slightly cheesy, dank musty cellars, and a wild mushroom character.

The taste is light, but quite delicious, with surprising notes of vanilla along with the sharp acidity and prickly carbonation. This beer has a really nice lemon component to it that makes me want to take repeated draughts of this elixir. This beer is bone dry and fully fermented like not ale or lager can imagine. I get notes of grapefruit, woody mushrooms, a hint of kiwi. This is a beer that will alter your bowels if consumed in quantity (I speak from multiple days of Brussels-Lambic-region experience on this one, so just trust me :-)

As this beer warms up and slowly loses its carbonation it becomes quite a bit softer, almost creamy, sort of seductive, yet quite a bit more woody, with a tannic interaction with my tongue.

What an intoxicating aroma, why am I so addicted to the aroma of a good Lambic, I donít know, but I could smell it for hours if it wasnít so satisfying to drink as well. I am so glad that I have a couple cases of this and the Kriek in my "cellar", this beer is going to continue to tickle my fancy as I slowly drink my way through its expiration date. I highly recommend picking up some of this on your next foray.

Sampled October 2003
A nice deep gold color, with amber notes to it. Fairly clear for a geuze. Well carbonated with a fairly persistent head, that stays with the beer until the end. Smells sour, woody, slightly of urea, lemony, with some musty mushroom character. The first impression of this Geuze is one of sourness with a hint of sweetness. Quite sharp tasting, it cuts through everything. Tastes of tannin and of hay fields (if that makes sense). The body is quite light and refreshing. As my mouth gets used to the acidity the taste softens, I get notes of citrus and slight alcohol, and lot of funky geuzeness. A very good beer, to bad it is no longer being made.