overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Oud Beersel
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 1218   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Geuze is a classic among the Belgian Ales, following spontaneous fermentation in wooden barrels (no yeast or sugar added), young and old Lambic are blended; which results in a dry, tart and fruity wine like taste. Oud Beersel Geuze Ale is the white sparkling wine of the ale world.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - MAR 12, 2005
Looks like hazy butterscotch with a very nice fluffy white head. Constant stream of lively carbonation. Aroma of peaches and apples, sour, malty and kind of chalky. Taste is lots of malt and sour fruit. Burst of carbonation and tang that fades into a smooth, velvety fininish that lasts. Very, very nice. Think I got this baby through a trade but it has been so long I can’t remember who I got it from. Thanks to whomever you are - this was a pleasure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sethdude (704) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 4, 2005
Pours a hazy straw color with just a hint of rose, this head dissipates quickly. Aroma is pears, grapes, , slight citrus, a yeasty smell, and a sweet honey-ish smell. Flavor is sweet initially, though not overly so. Lemon leads, then a great sour sensation, what resembles bitter orang peel, malty underones throughout. Palate is amongst the finest I have ever encountered. My first Geuze, but definitely entices me to try more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 3, 2005
Just amazing beer Perfect pairing to a Thai lemon grass soup. Tart and beautiful beer that dances on the tongue and makes you wish you had much more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shag (2698) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Thanks to Cheri for sharing this. A yellow copper color with loads of carbonation. The aroma is mainly vinegar and lemons. Some funk is definitley present. The flavor is quite sour with some apples, lemons, vinegar, and cheese. A very dry dusty mouthfeel as well. Not as sour as some Ive had but very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - FEB 27, 2005
After reading about the odd flavors found in this style, I’ve been curious to try a gueuze. Pours a cloudy apricot color with lots of carbonation and a creamy head. Aroma is of a foot locker (strange, this actually isn’t a bad thing in this case) with an apple and moldy cheese thrown in. Flavor still carried tart apples, vinegar, and WOW! The finish is like concentrated lemon juice! I’m puckering big time! I enjoyed this...thanks, Wunderbier!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - FEB 23, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2005 375ml bottle, BB 2073! cork has SB 22 on it...Slightly murky orange/copper color, white head, racing bubbles...cellar temp...Powerful aroma...Maybe lemony, hay, granny smith, some sort of citrus juice rubbed on leather...Can you smell tartness?? Tart, berries, raspberry & blackberry...In the mouth it is quick to the punch. Very light bodied and short...the finish is where it jumps out. Tart berries...not so much what I taste, but what I feel. Still a sort of lemony/leather interplay, and maybe a touch of sweetness??? no it is quite dry, but I get a subliminal sweet tone set alongside the acid...lingers leaving suggestions of earth, wood, peels, apples, and maybe even malt. I suppose this is the beer world’s lemonade. As I linger over it, I think I can almost pick up a faint hop spice in the aroma...maybe I’m on drugs or maybe just Brett... listening to M Ward’s Transister Radio. Nice, mellow, and full of wierd layers & echoes...like this beer.;

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
yousee (48) - BELGIUM - FEB 22, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2007 orange coloured beer with a big ivory creamy head. Aroma is full of apple and honey. Taste is very sour with notes of apple, honey and old farm barnyard. The aftertaste ends in sweetness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
eleusis (70) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 20, 2005
Glorious. Amazing. Balanced. Why did they stop brewing? A truly tragic loss. I have to go buy their kriek now.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
macguy (146) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - FEB 18, 2005
Had a bottle of this at In De Wildeman. This is an amazing beer. I have a bottle of ’99 laying down which I plan to open in 2010 if both I and the planet still exist. It’s very sad that this brewery has closed but I hear rumors that it may reopen. Nice copper color; nice creamy head; nice tart/sour fruit taste. I don’t know that it get’s much better than this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JAN 27, 2005
Parting is such sweet sorrow…or tart sorrow!
Pours a radiant copper body with a full and creamy ivory head, lacing hangs evermore. The aroma totally reminds me of slicing up a Granny Smith apple. There is a tart and lightly yeasty presence to this sparkling ale, with amazingly delicate notes of oak barrel and damp bundles of hay. This is not overly tart, as many geuze tend to be…it actually very spritzy and drinkable. I’ve had geuze in the past that were oxidized from age that kind of had this wet cardboard likeness…maybe that is what’s cutting the lemony – green apple – doughy – tartness…regardless… I adore this beer.. it cuts with a lovely dry pucker in the finish!