overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Oud Beersel
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 1208   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Geuze is a classic among the Belgian Ales, following spontaneous fermentation in wooden barrels (no yeast or sugar added), young and old Lambic are blended; which results in a dry, tart and fruity wine like taste. Oud Beersel Geuze Ale is the white sparkling wine of the ale world.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - NOV 2, 2004
Pours a hazy light gold, well defined fine bubbled head. Champagne like aroma, quite sour and assertive, very dry finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
FlacoAlto (3849) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 25, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2005 375ml Best by date of 2023, Sampled October 2004
Can you spell salivate? Well god-damn I sure can. The cork forcefully explodes from this 375ml bottle as I try to take it out. The aromas are quite enticing and hypnotic as I pour this beer. The color is a rich clear copper color and is topped by a pale frothy head. The aroma is tart with notes of urea, white vinegar, grapefruit, a woodiness, slightly cheesy, dank musty cellars, and a wild mushroom character.

The taste is light, but quite delicious, with surprising notes of vanilla along with the sharp acidity and prickly carbonation. This beer has a really nice lemon component to it that makes me want to take repeated draughts of this elixir. This beer is bone dry and fully fermented like not ale or lager can imagine. I get notes of grapefruit, woody mushrooms, a hint of kiwi. This is a beer that will alter your bowels if consumed in quantity (I speak from multiple days of Brussels-Lambic-region experience on this one, so just trust me :-)

As this beer warms up and slowly loses its carbonation it becomes quite a bit softer, almost creamy, sort of seductive, yet quite a bit more woody, with a tannic interaction with my tongue.

What an intoxicating aroma, why am I so addicted to the aroma of a good Lambic, I donít know, but I could smell it for hours if it wasnít so satisfying to drink as well. I am so glad that I have a couple cases of this and the Kriek in my "cellar", this beer is going to continue to tickle my fancy as I slowly drink my way through its expiration date. I highly recommend picking up some of this on your next foray.

Sampled October 2003
A nice deep gold color, with amber notes to it. Fairly clear for a geuze. Well carbonated with a fairly persistent head, that stays with the beer until the end. Smells sour, woody, slightly of urea, lemony, with some musty mushroom character. The first impression of this Geuze is one of sourness with a hint of sweetness. Quite sharp tasting, it cuts through everything. Tastes of tannin and of hay fields (if that makes sense). The body is quite light and refreshing. As my mouth gets used to the acidity the taste softens, I get notes of citrus and slight alcohol, and lot of funky geuzeness. A very good beer, to bad it is no longer being made.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Joeh (2049) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - OCT 19, 2004
Bottle from Beers of Europe. 375ml bottle in a gueuze glass. Sampled alongside chicken fillets oven cooked in gueuze, on top of pasta. Aroma is vinous, sour, barnyard & lemony. Somewhat dry, lots of sourness but also well balanced with a tiny bit of sweetness (unlike perhaps Cantillon), this is lemony, citric & slightly woody. Probably one of the top 2 or 3 gueuzes Iíve tried.

Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 18, 2004
Bottle---(from a shady liqour store(in the cooler though)). Pours a golden hue with no head whatsoever. Nothing. not even just a halo, or a quick dying head...nothing. Its okay though because the aroma is amazing. The most funky, sour, yeasty with a little honey, pine and ...mmmmm.....Man....I just hope this is still a good bottle. The carbonation is completely gone, but the flavor rings true. Sour with flavors of ginger, bubble gum, and apple cider/ The mouthfeel is even the same....Slightly mouth numbing. Amazing..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - OCT 15, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2007 Pre Boon bottle. I very much enjoyed this bottle. Exactly what I hoped it to be, Sour, tart and lightly fruity. Dry with horseblanket and barnyard qulaities. Cobwebby and musty. Almost a perfect gueuze IMHO.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gabbledbabble (60) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 11, 2004
Iím in heaven, Iím in heaven... I drank this at 58 F. I love these naturally fermented brews. Poured golden cloud. Beautiful light foam that fizzled and frothed to a huge clingy head. Smells like parfait of fresh pears, roses, sour cherries, starfruit, orange zest, in sour yeasty oak. Dry; bites on the bitter sides of my tongue. Tannin>fruit wood. Lime zest, sour cherries; runs tart to bitter. Itís splendid and sparkling. Itís effervescent. Itís sour with very little sweet, like a trickle of sour juice. But oh, how good it would be with a sausage, cheese and bread platter with mustard and barrel-aged kraut.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - OCT 8, 2004
This is the greates Geuze I have ever tasted. The aroma has all the characteristic feet, cheese, and sourness. The color is a nice cloudy urine. Sound great yet? Well if all the nastiness doesnít bring you in, keep following. Now the flavor starts wilth a little off-putting solvency (which is why this isnít a solid 10). But then all those beautiful nasties kick in and the flavor is absolutely infectious. Absolutely marvelous.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - SEP 29, 2004
Wow, now this was one of the most complex variations of this style that I have ever had. Almost like this one could have been aged in oak. Some nice French vanilla smokey aromas, with your typical tart and spicy aroma, very pungent and very tart, but high in acid, this is a great palate cleanser. Pineapple, grapefruit, and granny smith apples, with lots of bitterness in the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
obisbeer (565) - Barcelona, SPAIN - SEP 10, 2004
Slightly hazy golden/orange with thick white head. Sour nose, with barnyard, lemon, honey, vanilla, spice and faint toffee. Medium body with light sparkle and lingering bitter grapefruit finish. Flavors of lemon, orange, honey, with a very sour mid-palate. Not as tart as I expected with a nice balance none the less that intrigues me. Throughout a tart apple quality that draws me back. Tasty!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - SEP 7, 2004
Bottle. Poured an amber color. Cloudy, perhaps hints of red in the body. Nice big white head. Aroma is sourish, for some reason smelling like BBQ sauce to me. Taste is immediately tart. A green apple type feeling with a bit of bitterness at the end.