overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Oud Beersel
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 1115   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Geuze is a classic among the Belgian Ales, following spontaneous fermentation in wooden barrels (no yeast or sugar added), young and old Lambic are blended; which results in a dry, tart and fruity wine like taste. Oud Beersel Geuze Ale is the white sparkling wine of the ale world.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shag (2603) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Thanks to Cheri for sharing this. A yellow copper color with loads of carbonation. The aroma is mainly vinegar and lemons. Some funk is definitley present. The flavor is quite sour with some apples, lemons, vinegar, and cheese. A very dry dusty mouthfeel as well. Not as sour as some Ive had but very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - FEB 27, 2005
After reading about the odd flavors found in this style, I’ve been curious to try a gueuze. Pours a cloudy apricot color with lots of carbonation and a creamy head. Aroma is of a foot locker (strange, this actually isn’t a bad thing in this case) with an apple and moldy cheese thrown in. Flavor still carried tart apples, vinegar, and WOW! The finish is like concentrated lemon juice! I’m puckering big time! I enjoyed this...thanks, Wunderbier!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - FEB 23, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2005 375ml bottle, BB 2073! cork has SB 22 on it...Slightly murky orange/copper color, white head, racing bubbles...cellar temp...Powerful aroma...Maybe lemony, hay, granny smith, some sort of citrus juice rubbed on leather...Can you smell tartness?? Tart, berries, raspberry & blackberry...In the mouth it is quick to the punch. Very light bodied and short...the finish is where it jumps out. Tart berries...not so much what I taste, but what I feel. Still a sort of lemony/leather interplay, and maybe a touch of sweetness??? no it is quite dry, but I get a subliminal sweet tone set alongside the acid...lingers leaving suggestions of earth, wood, peels, apples, and maybe even malt. I suppose this is the beer world’s lemonade. As I linger over it, I think I can almost pick up a faint hop spice in the aroma...maybe I’m on drugs or maybe just Brett... listening to M Ward’s Transister Radio. Nice, mellow, and full of wierd layers & echoes...like this beer.;

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
yousee (48) - BELGIUM - FEB 22, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2007 orange coloured beer with a big ivory creamy head. Aroma is full of apple and honey. Taste is very sour with notes of apple, honey and old farm barnyard. The aftertaste ends in sweetness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
eleusis (70) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 20, 2005
Glorious. Amazing. Balanced. Why did they stop brewing? A truly tragic loss. I have to go buy their kriek now.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
macguy (146) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - FEB 18, 2005
Had a bottle of this at In De Wildeman. This is an amazing beer. I have a bottle of ’99 laying down which I plan to open in 2010 if both I and the planet still exist. It’s very sad that this brewery has closed but I hear rumors that it may reopen. Nice copper color; nice creamy head; nice tart/sour fruit taste. I don’t know that it get’s much better than this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JAN 27, 2005
Parting is such sweet sorrow…or tart sorrow!
Pours a radiant copper body with a full and creamy ivory head, lacing hangs evermore. The aroma totally reminds me of slicing up a Granny Smith apple. There is a tart and lightly yeasty presence to this sparkling ale, with amazingly delicate notes of oak barrel and damp bundles of hay. This is not overly tart, as many geuze tend to be…it actually very spritzy and drinkable. I’ve had geuze in the past that were oxidized from age that kind of had this wet cardboard likeness…maybe that is what’s cutting the lemony – green apple – doughy – tartness…regardless… I adore this beer.. it cuts with a lovely dry pucker in the finish!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
JoeMcPhee (8411) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 27, 2005
Bottled in 2002, best before 04/2022. Gorgeous tawny orange coloured beer with a spritzy carbonation and nice clarity. Aroma is awesome, brettanomyces loaded, horseblankety funk, apple cider and honey. Nice complexity in the nose. Flavour is quite sour, but much less complex than the nose would have had me believe. A touch of honey, barnyard, and apple. The mouthfeel is fairly thin though and the flavour just sort of disappears. A good beer, but the mouthfeel leaves me longing for more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GermanBrews76 (678) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 9, 2005
wow, an enormous creamy head. tok quite some time to pour. Well carbonated and lively. Pale gold body. nose is sweet, tart and fruity. pears and a pale malt character. chardonay like. very tart and sour. dry clean palate. sweet and peary

Mads Langtved (2245) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - JAN 2, 2005
My first beer in 2005. Medium sourness. Quite yeasty and fruity finish. Having had this beer after several Harboe Pilsener I think it tastes better than it normally would. It was a nice beer to clean out the system.