overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Oud Beersel
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Beersel, Belgium

RATINGS: 1111   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Geuze is a classic among the Belgian Ales, following spontaneous fermentation in wooden barrels (no yeast or sugar added), young and old Lambic are blended; which results in a dry, tart and fruity wine like taste. Oud Beersel Geuze Ale is the white sparkling wine of the ale world.

DocLock (7824) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Big thanks to npdempse for this. I didnít realize it was retired. This is my second geuze, so this one should propel me into the top 10 for the style. Pours turbid gold with a thick white head. Aroma of citrus, cane sugar, barnyard, hops, fruit, and slight sweaty female feet. Tastes tart, with a sugar caney undertone and additional hops, citrus, light fruit such as peaches, and a champagney finish. Better than many champagnes Iíve had, and a great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SpockTheater (49) - Louisiana, USA - DEC 10, 2004
Note that these are first impresssions and I plan on getting this one again. This is my fist venture into the Gueze. Sadly I had to pour this one quickly since once the cork popped (flew) out a rush of bubbles followed. So I had to pour as quickly as I could to save the bottle. Bad cork popping on my part probably. The head was huge on this one and poured a copper hue. First taste was sour but not overbearing and finish was slightly dry. In the finsh was a "wild" taste that made me think of a field of wheat by the farm. The fruity hints were semilar to grapefruit without the bitter aftertaste. In all, very unique brew, but not for those who are new to Lambics.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 5, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 6, 2004 Large frothy white head; fades to nothing. Body is clear and a dirty amber/gold.... kind of nice looking. It has a fairly strong body that hits you big, and a fizzy mouthfeel until it settles down. Of course, horse blanket aroma with a sweet white grape hint. Big mouth puckering sour taste of semi-sweet lemons with cobwebs and a dry cheese finish. Pretty good.... definitely grows on you. But I always have a hard time picking up the complexity in these.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
maeib (8627) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - DEC 5, 2004
Bottled. A hazy amber coloured gueuze with a delicious aroma of sour crisp green apples. The taste is crisp unripe apples and a certain cheesiness. This is so tasty and drinkable. One of the better gueuzes IMO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
kook (2033) - Perth, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA - DEC 5, 2004
Oops. This was supposed to be #400 but it turns out Iíd already had Bush Noel. Barnyard (hay), leather, orange, citrus, vinegar, grapes and sugar in aroma. Cloudy gold/copper with a lasting white head. Sweet apples, berries, citrus. Tart sour finish. Medium, very cleansing dry feeling. Nice balanced gueuze.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrRomero (1974) - Nolanville, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Deliririum Cafe, Brussels, Dec 2004: Poured a cloudy orange with a medium creme colored head. Very sour, musty aroma with some notes of burnt wood, hay, grass. Taste is very acidic and sour as you would expect. Light sweetness. This is a nice gueuze.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
badgerben (4391) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - NOV 26, 2004
Hazy orange color with a large head. Sour aroma, but mut if an aroma can be dry, then this is one of those. Wheat taste along with just the right balance of sourness. I still donít really know what to look for from a gueuze as they strike me as very one or two dimensional, but this is one of the best Iíve had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 22, 2004
Light Amber Coloring. White Head. I Whole Heartedly Agree with Badgerbenís Comment that, I Myself, Find Guezeís Hard to Rate As They Donít Seem to Vary A Whole Lot. I Can Tell you Which I Liked Better Then Others...But Why? I Guess I need To Drink More ;) Found This One to Be Enjoyable Though...Seemed a Bit More Astringent Than Say Lindemans.....Of Course Very Tart/Sour... But I Could Easily Drink the Bottle on This One...and That Should Say Something. Definitly Worth Trying if you Can Get Your Hands On it.

1.4
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 20, 2004
Right from the start, the aroma was very unattractive. High head and cloudy dark yellow colour. Intenselyt vinegar sour. I think you have to be desperate to drink this stuff. I just couldnít finish the bottle! Really, geuzes are not my style of beer, except perhaps a couple of them which are drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
walleye (1066) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - NOV 15, 2004
could not read the best before date looks like 2073 .poured a cloudy golden with a big white head. aroma, sour, vinegar, apples, lemon, pine, hints of ginger,with a bit of sweetness. flavor, sour fruits, some cherries, apples, cider vineger, hops, lemons that are on the way to going bad, alcohol.I am not big on this style of beer so my rating is not going to reflect the way I view this beer I do not feel I should give it a bad rating I will try this style again to see if I can start to like this style.