overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 776   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
(Editor’s note) Originally this version was available for the American market, while in Europe a version less sour was available; as of today, only this version of Sour is produced, so if you got a recent vintage you had this one.
The Sour has a sticker to differenciate it from the sticker-less Barriquée Mild, which has not been inoculated with lactobacillus bacteria.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Spookgolds (241) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 10, 2012
Bottle from Jeff for Christmas. Pours a reddish tea color with a nice white head. Aroma and tasteof sourness/tart red grapes. This is awesome. I really like sour ales.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hoptagon (239) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - MAY 8, 2010
2008 Vintage. Batch 10 Bottle #731. Pours a reddish chestnut color with very little froth. Solid nose with oak, vinegar and cherry notes. Flavor is similar, but the wood character is a bit more subdued. I definitely get substantially more of the acetic or balsamic vinegar flavor than the sour lacto flavor. The cherries are prominent towards the end of the sip. Carbonation is medium and the palate is slightly thin. Ends on a long, dry and mildly sour note. Overall this is an excellent beer and could be considered a session beer for a Flemish Red style in that it isn’t too extreme. For my personal preference I’d much rather have a La Folie or another Flemish Red with a stronger lacto addition and more sour flavor. The other drawback for this one is that its a bit taxing on the wallet and doesn’t really stand out as exceptionally unique.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sepia5 (236) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 17, 2011
Batch 8 from 2007. Pours a fairly dark but largely transparent red with a small white head. Sediment and a relatively lively carbonation are apparent on the pour. Nose is a bit of vinegar and red wine; nice, but perhaps not quite as strong as you get from some similar sours. The flavor is sour with some twangy vinegar funk and a bit of candied sweetness on the tale end. Honestly, I’d prefer something with a bit more sourness, as it isn’t quite as biting as you can find elsewhere in the style. Perhaps I waited a bit too long to drink this for my taste. Also, the mouthfeel is a bit light for me. The carbonation seems to fade relatively quickly, and you’re left with a bit of a thin consistency. Still, a solid offering that I’m glad I tried, even if, in the future, I’ll continue to spend half as much for Rodenbach’s Grand Cru.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
drainey (234) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 16, 2006
25.4 oz bottle 2005. Very interesting. Reddish brown body with almost no head. Aroma of yeast, wheat, wine, some fruit, maybe lemons and apricots. Flavor is very vinous. I tasted vinegar and white wine, quite tasty. Seems almost more like wine than beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - MAR 22, 2006
Aroma of oak, cork, cavendish, dark cherries, some vinegar. Appears a hazy, ruddy, brown-red, with an unhealthy looking filmy white head, that I know is as it should be. Flavor is intensely sour at the start but still quite drinkable, with a slightly sweet base beer coming through in the middle, and with a finish of lemon and oak. Palate is crisp and dry. Overall, this beer is truly a wonderful experience, and one that I would not have had if not for discovering Ratebeer. Truly a wonderful experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
DMRz (230) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAY 26, 2007
Aromas of barnyard and sour cherries. Flavors are much the same, although there is a good deal of sweetness that I was not expecting. This beer really is not my favorite style, although I can appreciate its complexity...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gmb5127 (228) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 19, 2013
The aroma is tart and medium. The taste is not as tart as I was expecting. Has a little weird taste to it but good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Scouser (228) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 23, 2009
lemony sour aroma. dark brown cloudy pour with a creamy/brown head tha does not last. it is definatly a sour ale but, to me, not very complex and thus average. nice smooth palate not too fizzy or heavy just right. overall very average, would drink again, but wont search for it. 2008 batch 10.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - OCT 11, 2007
’06 Vintage. I was so loking forward to drinking this beer, however I was underimpressed. I was ready for a big sour aroma. It didn’t happen. Not much sour and not much oak. Virtually zero head. Really kind of a bland beer. I don’t think I even finished the bottle. I have a feeling that I didn’t get a representative bottle. I bought this at Green’s on Buford this past spring. I’d like to try a fresh bottle as I love this style of beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
grandridge (224) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - OCT 5, 2008
2007 Batch 8 bottle 1222. Pours amber with a light white head that fades quickly to a ring aroung the outside of the glass. Aroma is tart, lambic, slight wood and funk. Flavor is smooth, some sour but not overwhelming. Vinigar stronger than lactic in this sour. I like it better the other way around but still a solid sour. Carbonation is weak but not flat. Finish is dry, would like to see more lactic and a more dry finish.