overall
Brewed by Paulaner Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: German Hefeweizen
Munich, Germany
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 2481   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Unfiltered bottles and cans.
"Naturtrüb".
Ingredients: Water; Malted wheat; Malted barley; Yeast; Hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Rutzicka (102) - SWITZERLAND - MAY 19, 2002
It has a nice foam and a beautiful golden-orange colour. It is fresh and pleasant.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
NJBeerman013 (1043) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - MAY 5, 2002
Clean taste. Slightly dry.. Overall, not bad, but not impressive either. Probably better with a lemon.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
adam99 (6) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAY 2, 2002 does not count
The gold standard for Hefeweizen, when fresh. A word to the wise, age is not kind to this beer. I’ve had several bottles with a nasty aroma and a harsh straw tasting finish that had sat around too long.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 1, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2007 The original rate was based on a perfect pour one that has eluded me for at least a year and a half. So I feel it is now to rate the present. Not the freshes bottle with a brew date of 12/06, but that seems typical to as of late. Still a wonderful looking pour, but this one is a bit darker, which I like as much or better than the lighter version. Sweet wheat with just a touch of banana, I’m not catching the full malt and light spice of the past. Light sweet wheat flavors with a stronger phenol presence, more resin than banana and spice. Again the base malt is not fully apparent. Still a nice hefe, just doesn’t seem to have the depth and complexity I used to find in one out of ever three to four barrels. Maybe my memory is slipping, but I don’t think so. Straw color with a head that doesn’t end. When fresh, I consider this the one to compare to others in the "light" (as opposed to the Ur Style) hefe style. Clove and banana phenols dance across the tongue in balance with the wheat and malt sweetness. This beer does seem to be very susceptible to heat light and other factors which can bring the rating down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - MAY 1, 2002
Great hefeweizen. Tends to form an excessive head sometimes(slightly irritating). But no real flaws as far as I’m concerned. I like to drink this with simple foods like a red apple, or perhaps just some bread and cheese(butterkaise). Very yeasty, as hefeweizen should be. Re-rate: I don’t enjoy this as much as I used to. I think it’s the weak finish. Still a good beer, but could be better. I am back-and-forth on this beer. I swear I must have had a bad bottle last time because now it seems great again. Maybe Paulaner has consistency problems?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SchlossyMcSaus (75) - San Marcos, California, USA - APR 29, 2002
This one changed my attitude about wheats a while back. I’ve grown to love that strange sweet corn mash aroma and flavor, and bubble gum aftertaste that only wheats deliver. If ’In Heat Wheat’ wants to get near German heffes, they better start swapping out thier labels on some Paulaner bottles. Not that pretty to look at, unless you know what it is. I often trade off between this and Franziskaner, and will need to rerate sometime. Good head stas around, neat tiny bubbles, and not too heavy on the ABV, its got that over Franz any way. Man, nothing beats this on a hot Saturday afternoon in the sweltering heat of Florida, amazing it isn’t a bar standard in this state.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
leaparsons (7937) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - APR 23, 2002
Quite a citric beer with peppery overtones. Not as impressive as, say, the recommendations to the right of this webpage.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
vacek (67) - College Station, Texas, USA - APR 18, 2002
This is one of the first spicy beers I have had. The color and smell are distinct, like nothing I have ever had, but I don’t think this one is for me. Initially it smelled like pineapple juice, but I’m not sure anymore. Interesting.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - APR 18, 2002
UPDATED: APR 15, 2003 6/10/01: One of my top 10 beers for sure, and certainly the best weiss-beer type; got turned onto this by a beer novice, actually, at a Bennigans of all places (great with a Monte Cristo, mmmm); I think he's less of a novice now. One of the best-smelling beers, too.

4/18/02: beautiful cloudy amber, with huge lasting head; awesome nose of banana/chocolate, citrus, apples, and yeast. Flavor almost as wonderful, ultra-malty for a wheat; but perhaps doesn't have enough 'edge' to it -- could use a bit more carbonation, a bit more oomph in the finish. I've been slowly going through a lot of my pre-Ratebeer faves lately; this one holds up quite well, though probably not a top-ten all-time anymore. Best German wheat, still a possibility.

4/15/03: still loving it, love the sweetness on this one, and it does have a powerful nose, but gotta knock a couple of points, I've just had so many better beers and German Wheats are not at the top for me any more. This is, however, one of the best. A rare beer that is worth savoring but also very easy to pound in large quantities.

gpolice99 (32) - Arizona, USA - APR 17, 2002
Sweet,crisp,and refreshing! this wheat brew is good all the way through! cold or room temperature.. this gets the best of the best for me, has a hint of clove..this is a GREAT German Wheat Brew!!!!