overall
Brewed by Paulaner Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 2431   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 237   ABV: 7.9%
The Paulaner Salvator with its strong,typically malty taste is the original Paulaner. The bottom-fermented Doppelbock-Bier unites the finest hops and dark barley malt. The Paulaner monks served Salvator as a replacement for food at Lent. Their most famous brewer was Brother Barnabas, who was the head of the Paulaner monastery brewery starting from 1773. Its original recipe is today almost the same as it was in Barnabas' time. In order to protect the original recipe, Paulaner had the trade mark "Salvator" patented in 1896.

Original wort 18,3%
alcohol 7,9%
calories 68,0 kcal/100 m

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jercraigs (8006) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 20, 2003
UPDATED: APR 8, 2007 April 2007. Dark amber brown body, moderate beige head. Malty aroma has a bit of alcohol presence. Flavour is similarly quite malty, lots of caramel malt flavours. Booze is restrained, but quite prominent on some sips. Not super complex, but has a very pleasant simple sweetness that was quite nice paired with a beer and molasses basted ham. Serving chilled mitigates the alcohol presence somewhat. Shared by Tuqueboy. 7/3/7/3/15 - 3.5 <P>December 2003. Dark amber colour, not much in the way of head. Aroma and flavour are malty. Finish was lackluster. A pleasant but unexceptional doppelbock that may have not have stood up well to the chocolate I had had not too long before. Will have to try another one now that the LCBO is carrying bottles of this. 5/3/6/3/13 - 3.0

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 20, 2003
This is why I love doppelbocks. And supprisingly, it's the first time I've had a Salvator. Beautiful pour with less of a head than I was expecting. Cloudy copper color. The scent seemed to pour out of the glass as I poured; a very strong smell of malt. Man can you taste the malt! But it's wonderfully balanced by the hops! What a mixture. Carmel and toffee tastes linger. A heady sensation coats the tongue making me crave a cigar. A Partagas Serie D No. 4 would *really* hit the spot right now. A very enjoyable beer. I could only have about two of these pint-sized bottles before I would be done for the night, though, but man what a night it could be.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
wnp22 (685) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - DEC 17, 2003
Tasted in Toronto from LCBO. Tasted in Raftman tulip. Orange / red / brown appearance. Very little head, not lasting. Slightly sour / tangy aroma, with a complex nose. Sweet start in the taste, with a strong malty finish. All malt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Tessic (895) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 16, 2003
First try of this doppelbock was a little bit of a disappointment. Since the other Dopplebocks that I have had at the end of this year were better. It started with the almost flat pour which resulted in a almost non-existant head. The colour was a very nice dark caramel. The aroma was not overpowering and had a slight caramel scent with a dash of citrus. The flavour started out nice and smooth but in the middle came a alcohol bite with a kind of sour finish. I don't want to bash this beer too badly, it wasn't the worst beer that I have tasted. I will be giving this one a second chance!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pjk33 (389) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 15, 2003
This was the first Doppelbock that I ever had and the thing that I remember most is that the lack of carbonation sort of surprised me. Good, strong, hearty, sweet, dark and enjoyable. I think a toffee like flavor came shining through on this one the most. My uncle bought this for our beer exchange Christmas 2001. Good work JZ.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cartoonkhaki (1220) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2003
I've finally been able to get a couple of bottles of this stuff!! Dark amber with dark beige head. Lasts into thin whisps. Caramel aroma but faint. Carbonated oily palate. Warming alcoholic presence. Dry bitters present in the finish. Quite warming and enjoyable.

Cobra (1100) - - DEC 12, 2003
1 pint brown bottle. Bottling date of 07/02. I guess this one has aged a bit, huh? Poured out a light brown, copper color. It had a frothy white head that didn't last long, but left yeast bits floating on top of the beer. Aromas are of caramel, malts, slight baking spices, and yeast. The tastes are of caramel malts, some spiceiness, yeasty bread, and rum soaked fruit. Strong taste of rum in my bottle. Tastes very good, with a super strong malty backbone, and a slight hops bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is well hidden, but it will sneak up on you. This beer could easily replace Celebrator in my favorite bock beer catagory. Too bad it's so rare in my area. I could use another one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 8, 2003
Color between amber and brown. Deep and rich. Head ample and tan and creamy. Aroma pleasant and buttery. Flavor has hint of what I think is toffee. A good, strong yet not overpowering beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mds (2230) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 6, 2003
Sweet, malty aroma. Brown colour, fluffy white-ish head. Bold flavour. Slightly bitter finish. Alcohol emerges through in the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
CQC (224) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 5, 2003
A small bite on the back flanks of the tongue. Has a typical Belgian stench... yum! A slightly charred malt tinge. Covers farts nicely.