overall
Brewed by Paulaner Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 2439   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 237   ABV: 7.9%
The Paulaner Salvator with its strong,typically malty taste is the original Paulaner. The bottom-fermented Doppelbock-Bier unites the finest hops and dark barley malt. The Paulaner monks served Salvator as a replacement for food at Lent. Their most famous brewer was Brother Barnabas, who was the head of the Paulaner monastery brewery starting from 1773. Its original recipe is today almost the same as it was in Barnabas' time. In order to protect the original recipe, Paulaner had the trade mark "Salvator" patented in 1896.

Original wort 18,3%
alcohol 7,9%
calories 68,0 kcal/100 m

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nate (3778) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 10, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2004 Nice malty aroma, raisins, rye bread, sweet. Dark amber-brown clear with thin off-white lacing head. Medium bodied with light medium carbonation. Starts sweet with malt and raisin, rye. Finish has a little bitter and sweet malt. After has some alcohol, sweetness, nuttiness.

leaparsons (8311) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - APR 9, 2002
This dopplebock may seem thin in mouthfeel - don’t be fooled. This is a smooth malty beer that is easy to drink too much of!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 3, 2002
Thick, malty, a nice aroma and a sweet finish. I can’t believe i like this better than Optimator but i think it just edges it out.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
jennythenipper (74) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 3, 2002
Not my cup of tea. I just don’t get this beer. I grew up drinking midwestern Bocks which were malty but I find dopplebocks positively cloying. Maybe I need to drink this one in Germany. As a festival beer, sometimes it’s hard to get the point without attending the festival.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nuffield (3714) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - APR 1, 2002
Certainly of a different style than many might like, but I find this to be a wonderfully rich, creamy beer with a flavor that goes well with food. The caramel sweetness is not too overpowering, in my view, and it disguises what is really a rather powerful punch. Among my very favorite beers.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
FastEddie (230) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 31, 2002
Very good beer as long as you drink it at room temperature and not cold. If it’s cold it becomes sort of noxious and biting, I will update this review next time I have it so I can give finer details

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - MAR 29, 2002
A bottle of this was my introduction to Doppelbocks. This brew pours a clear reddish orange. The large creamy off-white head is mostly diminishing with virtually no lacing. The malty nose is moderate consisting mostly of hay, caramel, and grain balanced by light grass, perfume, and dough with some cask wood tones. The alcoholic flavor is warm, sweet and bitter. The smooth body is somewhere in between light and medium with soft carbonation and a moderately alcoholic astringency to the finish. Not my favorite style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
maxhits (172) - Pico Rivera, California, USA - MAR 29, 2002
This dark beer has a malty, fruitcake aroma and smells like it was made for Christmas, not the Lenten period before Easter. This is a 7.5% alcohol by volume beer that I purchased for the bargain price of $1.99 per 16 oz. bottle at the Wine Exchange in Orange, California. I rate this one 4½-stars, highly recommended.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 29, 2002
Ok beer. Not my style, but not a bad concoction. But I don’t think I could drink more than one at a time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
heykevin (1277) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - MAR 28, 2002
Thick and malty. Quite satisfying. Not my favorite style but reasonably well done. Tons of caramunich maltiness. I had hoped the finish would be a little less sweet.