overall
Brewed by Paulaner Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 2630   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 237   ABV: 7.9%
The Paulaner Salvator with its strong,typically malty taste is the original Paulaner. The bottom-fermented Doppelbock-Bier unites the finest hops and dark barley malt. The Paulaner monks served Salvator as a replacement for food at Lent. Their most famous brewer was Brother Barnabas, who was the head of the Paulaner monastery brewery starting from 1773. Its original recipe is today almost the same as it was in Barnabas' time. In order to protect the original recipe, Paulaner had the trade mark "Salvator" patented in 1896.

Original wort 18,3%
alcohol 7,9%
calories 68,0 kcal/100 m

Caytinator (1005) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - FEB 26, 2012
0.5L bottle. My favorite German beer of all time. The quintessential Dopplebock. Aroma is strong and malty. Medium head dissipates quickly, bold amber color, hazy. Medium bitterness blends well with medium sweetness, and a little alcohol taste at the end. Hearty, full-bodied, delicious.

beeracoon (453) - - OCT 13, 2012
Small white head. Red-brownish colour. Wonderful woody, caramel aroma. Tart taste and a full-flavoured, aromatic finish. My favourite bock beer.

tysongillmore (361) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 21, 2015
This is probably my favorite overall beer. Malty, bready, sweet, delicious. To me, this is the ultimate in what a standard ale should taste like. Get it!! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kevbo99 (149) - Dunmore, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 20, 2002
Great doppelbock. Sweet carmel malt and was just delightful.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
hotstuff (4645) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 20, 2003
This is a doppel that I truly enjoy drinking and this is one of my favorite beers thanks to my BF (thedm) who introduced me to fine beers and what good beers are all about almost 3 years ago!To me it has a superb taste and goes down very smooth and easy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
palliko (12) - Colorado, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Chocolate brown in color with a rich lacey head - the aroma of bread, the flavor of raisins and molasses, a very satisfying brew. Go out and buy some!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Ninjadave (3) - , USA - SEP 24, 2008 does not count
Nice deep rich color and has a sweet dark amber-brown. sweet buttery syrupy taste yet has kind of a thick full flavor. this is a good beer and I give it two thumbs up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
drydog (1) - - JUL 5, 2012 does not count
This beer offers a rich taste, rich buzz, and if being drank in a group, a great clanking of the mugs. Great with Greek and middle eastern foods.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
karstenejby (10) - - NOV 25, 2013
En helt igennem fantastisk dobbeltbock. Den hører absolut til en af favoritøllene, ikke helt ulig vores egen Carsberg 47.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
VoodooBock (2) - Colorado, USA - DEC 29, 2014 does not count
I may be biased but I love this Dopplebock. This is probably the first of my ’Best Beers’. Probably 15 years ago, and I really haven’t found a better standard. I loved it then when I found it and love it now after years of tasting new beers. It’s probably the heaviest ’alcohol’ tasting bock I’ve had but I like that. I don’t think it’s too much, but you’ll notice it. I found Spaten Optimator and Full Sail (90 day) Bock (Bock on box and Dopplebock on label ;) ) to be fairly similar in taste, but each getting less alcohol taste as listed.