overall
Brewed by Paulaner Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 2711   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 237   ABV: 7.9%
The Paulaner Salvator with its strong,typically malty taste is the original Paulaner. The bottom-fermented Doppelbock-Bier unites the finest hops and dark barley malt. The Paulaner monks served Salvator as a replacement for food at Lent. Their most famous brewer was Brother Barnabas, who was the head of the Paulaner monastery brewery starting from 1773. Its original recipe is today almost the same as it was in Barnabas' time. In order to protect the original recipe, Paulaner had the trade mark "Salvator" patented in 1896.

Original wort 18,3%
alcohol 7,9%
calories 68,0 kcal/100 m

note666's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
note666 (1254) - Eindhoven, - JAN 14, 2013
2012 - 01 - 14 500ml bottle. light-brown colour. very small off-white head. hint of caramel in the aroma. bitter-sweet taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jsporrer (713) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2016
Pours a hazy caramel brown with a thin light tan ring. Pleasant aroma of sweet malts. Very smooth with a medium body. Tastes of caramel and toffee flavors. Not harsh or bitter. A slight alcohol tingle on the tip of the tongue and a smooth warm finish. Pretty enjoyable.

Mark4152w (1) - Illinois, USA - SEP 24, 2016 does not count
Pauliner's Salvatore: has a unique dark rich taste that is often described as "liquid bread," it a hearty beer that can be a mini-meal by itself. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GreenCat (24) - SLOVENIA - SEP 18, 2016
0,33l bottle. Pours clear copper, a finger of almost tan head, medium retention. Aroma is sweet malt, caramel, toffee, dried fruit. Tastes sweet, some bitterness, caramel, plum marmalade comes to my mind. You can feel alcohol, but it’s not annoying. It just adds some warm feeling. Body is quite sweet with almost oily texture and average carbonation. Some bitterness in the finish. Well balanced, proper late evening comfort beer.

josanguapo (1108) - SPAIN - SEP 16, 2016
From Carrefour. In Teku glass. Watching Los Soprano 3x01. Typical profile of the style. Maybe not the best example but nice enough, cheap and easily available in supermarkets again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Scrumpy369 (477) - Budapest, HUNGARY - SEP 13, 2016
Bottle at home. Clear reddish brown colour, big white head. Nose is caramelly. Taste is also sweet, full bodied. Boozy aftertaste. Nice and full bodied, a real killer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
czlowiekwiadro (676) - POLAND - SEP 11, 2016
zapach dość intensywny, mocno słodowy, sporo karmelu, przypieczonej skórki z chleba i alkoholu. kolor głębokiej miedzi, opalizujący, piana biała, średnio obfita, średnia i drobna, stara się trzymać. w smaku pełne, słodowe, chlebowe z odrobiną biszkopta i nutą karmelu. goryczka niewysoka, alkoholowa z nutami ziołowymi. nasycenie średnie do wysokiego.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
GrooveDaddy (22) - Bham, Alabama, USA - SEP 6, 2016
I’m drawn to a memory of several years ago, on an ice-cold winter’s night; I got off work around 9pm, and head to the Publix supermarket close to work to pick up steaks and beers (it was Sunday evening, the last day of my work week at that time). After picking up some potatoes and ribeyes and other goodies, I head to the beer section, and Publix has a good one; since I’m a huge fan of Paulaner’s Hefeweissen, I decide to also try their Salvator double bock; the picture on the bottle is quite amusing, with the chubby (obviously German, possibly Bavarian) monk, selling (or giving) some double bock to what appears to be a wealthy German man - who was ever-so-pleased to receive his generous helping of double bock in a huge, metallic stein. I arrived home with my groceries, frost coming out of my mouth as I kept the heat off to save money (was using only space heaters as the propane take was empty - Hank Hill would be ashamed of me!); I turn my tiny space heater on in the living room, turn on the TV, open some chips with some Helluva Good sour cream & onion dip - and start at it! The Paulaner Salvator double bock was truly strong - I could taste the alcohol - but it was also rich and flavorful. I start to get a buzz quickly; after a while I make the ribeye and microwave the potato and chow down while watching whatever I was watching on TV that evening; I’m bundled up all nice & snug under a comforter (I better damn well be - it’s probably in the twenties as frost was still coming out of my mouth; there’s nothing quite like drinking a good beer while in a freezing room)! The house I live in is next to a kudzu field, which means that field mice find their way into the house when it’s cold; regardless of who cold the inside of my house may be, it’s still warmer than outside. A field mouse notices I’m watching the TV, so it makes its way across my coffee table where the food is, and perches itself on a cup or glass with some of this Paulaner Salvator double bock in it; it sniffs the contents, bends over further until it is able to reach the beverage, and proceeds to lap the stuff up - clearly this mouse has great taste in beer! I give it about a minute, as it no longer really notices me, and yell, "HEY!!"; the mouse, startled, loses its footing on the edge of the cup/glass and FALLS IN! Half a second later, it jumps out of the beer and scurries off to God knows where; I feel a little guilty in scaring the poor thing, as it was bad enough that it was so cold, but now it was WET, which only makes things colder; not sure if it survived or not, but you can bet that I wasn’t going to drink out of that cup/glass any more that evening! Hope little mousey enjoyed its buzz.........

Andyb123 (11) - Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - SEP 2, 2016
Damn good doppelbock. Malty and satisfying with every mouthful. Looks and smells fantastic and a good hit of alcohol that complements the taste. Medium level of carbonation and not fantastic head retention in the bottle I had (500ml), but good drinking all the same. If you like strong beer or you are turning others on to stronger beers, get yourself one of these.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
wrlangin (156) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - AUG 28, 2016
330 ml bottle at Bavarian Bier House in Brisbane. Pours dark Amber with small tan head. Mild, sweet aroma. Taste is malt, dried dark fruit. Good. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
PenultimaRonda (39) - Narón, SPAIN - AUG 22, 2016
Cas-En lo referente a esta cerveza, debo decir que tiene poco gas y poca espuma y un aroma dulce y un sabor muy fuerte pero empalagoso. Gal-No referente a esta cervexa, debo dicir que ten pouco gas e pouca espuma e un aroma doce e un sabor moi forte mais empalagoso.