overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 1941   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Full-bodied Belgian Specialty Ale. Amber in color with beautiful foam and slightly sweet, seductive malt character. Rich, satisfying Belgian experience.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mephisto (1268) - TAIWAN - AUG 14, 2005
bottled, a very nice bottle, huge head. fruity aroma. full bodied, sweet flavor, dry finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Mungo (2472) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - AUG 8, 2005
330ml Bottle. A creamy malty beer with spice notes. The problem was alcohol was overly present and the malt character was flat and boring. I think the fancy glass may be compensating for something.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2005
very enjoyable with a alchy tip on the end. Not too bad, smooth, and really, I couldnít find anything offensive about this. After a 750ml I offered to buy a 6 pack of Tecate for my roomate......not sure why....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
andybeer (16) - gent, BELGIUM - AUG 7, 2005
Very original glass, deep amberish color, slight beige yellowish creamy head. Good malty nose with a caramely caracter,some toches of pepper, spices yeast, and the warmth of alcohol. The aroma is soft and expressive. It is slight spicy (corriander) has the smooth sweetness of caramel and end with a fine dry bitterness of hops and a touch of Cognac.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bb (6850) - Alamo, California, USA - JUL 31, 2005
Bottle. Dark amber beer with a big off-white head. Yeasty aroma - spice (mostly corriander and pepper). Yeasty, sweet malt flavor with cany sugar and spice. Dry finish - almost champagne like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUL 30, 2005
I may be way off on this, looking over everyone elseís ratings, but I could have sworn there was a smokey flavor to my glass.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 29, 2005
On tap at "Den Tatoverede Enke", Copenhagen - obviously in a Kwak-glass. Nice looking beer with a sweet touch of caramel. This is balanced by a classic Belgian hoppiness. Not as fruity as I would like though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUL 11, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2006 As Eric Cartman says, "sweeeeeeet". Pours a medium head over a toffee brown liquid. I tried this at about the recommended temp (5-6 deg.), and could barely detect any aroma. Had a few sips and then left it sitting around until it was about 10 deg. For me, I think this was the optimum temp. I felt like just sitting there and sniffing at it all night when I finally detected the sweet malty aromas. The flavour is decidedly sweet, as I mentioned before, and also has some bitterness in the finish. Not so much of an aftertatste, but maybe that was because I had barely put the glass down before Iíd pick it up again. I really like this beer. Re-rate: Not as good this time around, but Iíll leave rating as is. Re-re-rate: I think my first sample of this was an anomally for two reasons - one of my first of the style and it was probably a good batch. Havenít had that much success with it of late some Iím going to have to drop it a couple of points.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2364) - California, USA - JUL 9, 2005
UPDATED: APR 7, 2006 Gotta love the glass...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
nicholai (100) - Helsinki, FINLAND - JUL 5, 2005
Bottled. For such a common beer, this was a real pleasure to drink. It is rosy, almost tea colored in the glass with a range of sediment sizes. Rather thin head, but not so much that it detracts from the appearance. The smell is surprisingly fresh for an 8% beer, with lemon, citrus, alfalfa, wheat, and some light caramel tones. the taste is very sweet with a bitter lingering taste. Bracing spices, oak, caramel, and some christmas spices abound. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thick.