overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 1939   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Full-bodied Belgian Specialty Ale. Amber in color with beautiful foam and slightly sweet, seductive malt character. Rich, satisfying Belgian experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2005
very enjoyable with a alchy tip on the end. Not too bad, smooth, and really, I couldnít find anything offensive about this. After a 750ml I offered to buy a 6 pack of Tecate for my roomate......not sure why....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
andybeer (16) - gent, BELGIUM - AUG 7, 2005
Very original glass, deep amberish color, slight beige yellowish creamy head. Good malty nose with a caramely caracter,some toches of pepper, spices yeast, and the warmth of alcohol. The aroma is soft and expressive. It is slight spicy (corriander) has the smooth sweetness of caramel and end with a fine dry bitterness of hops and a touch of Cognac.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bb (6851) - Alamo, California, USA - JUL 31, 2005
Bottle. Dark amber beer with a big off-white head. Yeasty aroma - spice (mostly corriander and pepper). Yeasty, sweet malt flavor with cany sugar and spice. Dry finish - almost champagne like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUL 30, 2005
I may be way off on this, looking over everyone elseís ratings, but I could have sworn there was a smokey flavor to my glass.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LoveCaissa (873) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 29, 2005
On tap at "Den Tatoverede Enke", Copenhagen - obviously in a Kwak-glass. Nice looking beer with a sweet touch of caramel. This is balanced by a classic Belgian hoppiness. Not as fruity as I would like though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUL 11, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2006 As Eric Cartman says, "sweeeeeeet". Pours a medium head over a toffee brown liquid. I tried this at about the recommended temp (5-6 deg.), and could barely detect any aroma. Had a few sips and then left it sitting around until it was about 10 deg. For me, I think this was the optimum temp. I felt like just sitting there and sniffing at it all night when I finally detected the sweet malty aromas. The flavour is decidedly sweet, as I mentioned before, and also has some bitterness in the finish. Not so much of an aftertatste, but maybe that was because I had barely put the glass down before Iíd pick it up again. I really like this beer. Re-rate: Not as good this time around, but Iíll leave rating as is. Re-re-rate: I think my first sample of this was an anomally for two reasons - one of my first of the style and it was probably a good batch. Havenít had that much success with it of late some Iím going to have to drop it a couple of points.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2361) - California, USA - JUL 9, 2005
UPDATED: APR 7, 2006 Gotta love the glass...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
nicholai (100) - Helsinki, FINLAND - JUL 5, 2005
Bottled. For such a common beer, this was a real pleasure to drink. It is rosy, almost tea colored in the glass with a range of sediment sizes. Rather thin head, but not so much that it detracts from the appearance. The smell is surprisingly fresh for an 8% beer, with lemon, citrus, alfalfa, wheat, and some light caramel tones. the taste is very sweet with a bitter lingering taste. Bracing spices, oak, caramel, and some christmas spices abound. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thick.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
vanvenlo (1225) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - JUL 3, 2005
19 Nov 2005 - Nice spicy fruit aroma. Excellent head, nice lacing, clear orange red brown colour. Sweet complex fruit, spiritous flavour. Sweet well balanced, thickish mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
bmxutos (161) - Lisboa, PORTUGAL - JUL 2, 2005
Bottle, 33cl. I was expecting a lot more from this one. Itís a good beer but something in the flavour was not right.... Pours a red/brown colour with a small beige head that disappeared a little too fast (next time iíll try to drink it in her special glass). Aroma of fruits and spices. The flavour is strong and very complex also very dry. I can sense the malt, spices and the alcohol. However, thereís also something like burnt wood in the flavour that isnít good. Not very smooth and not the best belgian beer around.