overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 1858   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Full-bodied Belgian Specialty Ale. Amber in color with beautiful foam and slightly sweet, seductive malt character. Rich, satisfying Belgian experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 5, 2004
I made a bit of an interesting call here as I don't have the glass so I used a hefeweizen glass as it is closest in shape. I don't think it caused any problems hehehe. Nice dark orange color but a lot of yeast chunks in suspension. Aroma is curiously similar to Scotch Silly. Possibly a touch dryer through hops but if you know one you kow the other (I do love this type of deep malt and caramel smell though so it's a "Good Thing"). The palate is nice and thick and smooth however it has a lightness which other thick palate beers (Chimay blue, Tripel Karmeliet and Silly Scotch leap to mind) could learn from. The flavor also is thick malts and caramel with aftertones of hops which save it from being cloying. I do enjoy this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fiulijn (13533) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 1, 2004
Orange - light amber color. Very nice aroma: hops and oranges. Malty, with a light sourness and tartness; fruity as well. Correct final. Quite original.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Winefly (60) - KEW, AUSTRALIA - MAR 1, 2004
Interesting beer...It was not really to my liking however and far too strong in every angle I tried to look at it. It was in my books the Dr Frankenstein of all beers!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
almostfrozen (26) - USA - FEB 29, 2004
Definitely the strangest glass I've ever seen. Felt like doing a lab experiment. Amber colour, smelled of fresh-cut grass. Sweet, no alcohol taste. I think this is the tastiest beer I've ever had. Shared a 25 oz. bottle with a friend and wished I'd gotten my own. Could have drank it all night but not at $17 bucks a pop. Will look for this retail.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Okay, right off the bat this bottle spewed tons of yeast chunks into my glass. And yes, it was a gentle pour lest I suffer the "Belgian Curse" or having huge overflows with the beer. Add to that the serious lack of much of a head and a complete absence of lace, it's already off on a bad foot. Smells of the usual banana and clove. Taste is the usual as well. Nothing special here. Mouthfeel is also average at best. Drinkability? Well, for the price it isn't bad. However, I'd just as soon have a Pranqster.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - FEB 21, 2004
330ml Bottle This Belgian poured a clear amber with a subtle head of foam that died quickly. Aroma is sweet and spicy with pepper and coriander. Body is very smooth and full yet lacks that crispness I prefer in this style. The flavor is sweet and spicy with the coriander showing up here as well. Overall a decent brew just nothing really exceptional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Syd (920) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2004
Bottle pours a clear red amber with a small off white head and leopard like lace. The aroma is malty, yeasty, slightly funky, and spicy. The flavor is malty, sweet, slightly roasty, slightly yeasty, and a touch of funk. The palate is fairly rich. Overall, pretty good. I did not have the glass and holder, so I drank out of my Duvel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BIGC (29) - USA - FEB 19, 2004
This beer will make you go kwak, kwak. I enjoyed this one in it's traditional wooden handle flute style glass. although the aroma wasn't impressive, the appearance awed me. it's thick head complimented it's clear brown color. Flavors of malts and caramel came out. A good balance of hops and a light sweet finish. probably, one of the best everyday beer due to it's 8% alcohol and filtered style. A good one to start with if your experimenting with Belgians.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 17, 2004
Tastes of banana, figs, apple, cloves and bread. Sweet without overdoing it, very smooth and enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - FEB 12, 2004
750 ml. dark green champagne bottle. Best before date on back label is of 01/01/2007. Still fairly fresh then. Poured out a deep caramel color. Almost brown, but not quite. Clarity is excellent. Aromas are of caramel malts, candi sugars, slight roasted malts, and yeasty bread. Slightly herbal and earthy aromas as well. Thinnish tan colored head faded quickly back to a thin lacing on top of the beer itself. Tastes of roasted grain, toasted bread, strong maltiness, and slight alcohol, although it is well hidden for 8% ABV. Hops make a quick appearance, and hurriedly make an exit. Sweet on the tongue, but not cloying. A decent Belgian by any standard.