overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 1857   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Full-bodied Belgian Specialty Ale. Amber in color with beautiful foam and slightly sweet, seductive malt character. Rich, satisfying Belgian experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 22, 2003
Dark copper color wth good head. Alcohol hidden well as I just realized it was 8%. Has a candyish, yeasty, sweet flavor to it with matching aromatic qualities. A good Belgium style beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Laugesen (5) - Aarhus, DENMARK - OCT 16, 2003 does not count
A good belgian ale with a full-bodied and strong sweet taste of toffee and malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - OCT 12, 2003
Amber colored, small, fairly long lasting head. Caramel and malt aroma, subtle though. Somewhat sweet taste, but again too subtle. Nice mouthfeel and masking of 8%. Wasnt bad but I was underwhelmed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bu11zeye (11760) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - OCT 2, 2003
(Bottle) Love the presentation glass that Kwak is served in. Quite original. Good balance of flavor and complexity in this Belgian.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
egajdzis (5194) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Poured an amber color with a large, tight, creamy, off-white head with real sticky lacing. Malty aroma of sweet caramel. Sweet tastes included bubblegum, caramel, malt and bananas. Some alcohol was noticed in the taste as well. The glass looked very nice when the beer was done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - SEP 19, 2003
nice amber color with lots and lots of large amounts of yeast particules suspended throughout the pour.small white head that lasted for a decent amount of time and left a good lacing.Malty sweet aroma with a nice hint of caramel,and light hint of dried fruit.The taste was malty and fruity with a mild caramel punch,lightly sweet with a very light hint of hops,and slightly metallic.That could be due to age.The large yeast paricules don't seem to interfere with the taste or texture of the brew but more then anything just have a very bad appearance.The after taste is fruity and lightly sweet with a nice drinkable appeal to it.A little spendy but well worth it and definately cheaper then what it would have cost if i bought it on-line.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Nice hazy amber colors with some head. Malty aromas with some fruit. Very nice flavor with a smooth finish. Loved the story of the beer and glass told from the distrobuter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DallasBryan (111) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 16, 2003
As a big fan of this style, I was excited to finally get this one in our state and bought one to try. While I didn't have the famous glass, I had one similar. My impressions were mixed; I maight tend to believe that I got an "aged" bottle after reading these other reviews. It just didn't seem as complex as some of the other Belgians and had almost no head, with almost a sour taste. That being said, it was pretty good, although not my favorite of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jzzbassman (1466) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - SEP 8, 2003

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
imdownthepub (9623) - Banbury, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - SEP 7, 2003
Bottle Conditioned. A beer more famous for its glass than its flavour! I was going to explain about the history of the glass in that case and then I find that Gusler has beaten me to it, still that was a while ago, so I will re iterate. In the days of horse drawn coaches, the drivers of the coach couldn't join the passengers in the tavern for a warming drink, so the glass was designed to fit a stand built onto the coach. It has a rounded bottom as it didnt need to stand on its own. The whole Belgian glass thing is, these days, about product placement, but Kwak does really taste better in the hour glass shape. It is a hazy orage beer which has been described many times now, but when you do try it, try drinking it chilled from its own glass!