overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 1973   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Full-bodied Belgian Specialty Ale. Amber in color with beautiful foam and slightly sweet, seductive malt character. Rich, satisfying Belgian experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - OCT 12, 2004
A nice beer, but too chunky, maybe my bottle was a bit old, but I usually like that, but this beer had BIG chunks! Its a good beer, but I wish the beer wasn’t so thick, alot of particles. I will try this beer again soon

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HermanW (1035) - Coevorden, NETHERLANDS - OCT 10, 2004
A beautifull beer. Specially when it is drunk out his special glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jgentgesdo (672) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 7, 2004
My 100th rating! Pours brown with small off-white head. The nose is the best thing about this brew... spice and flowers, and snickerdoodles? Sweet and malty flavor, sour and hoppy aftertaste, slightly metallic. Pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
bark (255) - Linköping, SWEDEN - OCT 7, 2004
On-tap. "If you want to drink it out of a original Kwak glass, you have to leave your left shoe as a pledge! Those glasses are really expensive.” No, the bartender didn’t pull my leg. The downside of visiting a student pub, I’ll guess. I had my beer in a pilsener flute instead.

The colour is pale amber; the finger-thick foam is white and quite compact.

The smell is sourish with some lactose and some sort of hops.

The carbonation was rather strong and a little bit sticky. But at the same time very fresh and descending.

The taste is sourish and very refreshing. The liberal taste of malt is slowly replaced by a lactose-sweetness and bitter hops. Then, a fine body and a mild taste of aromatic hops emerge. There is a touch of wheat beer in the aftertaste with the combination of candy-sweetness and fruity, spicy hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bourne (161) - Suwon, SOUTH KOREA - OCT 5, 2004
This beer is weird, I still cannot describe what it tastes like. I have one right here in my hand, and its my third six pack. Ive had it in the states and in france. Still this stuff baffles me. Its a great flavor, very supriseing, but I cant describe it. If you want a beer that tastes like nothing else, this is it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Shag (2622) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - OCT 4, 2004
Ah I wasn’t impressed with this. It looked like iced tea when it was poured. The taste was similar to lemon iced tea with some caramel notes. This one was thin and watery. There is some alcohol showing through the water. This Kwak is Wack! Boring.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
arhythmt (69) - USA - SEP 28, 2004
An interesting beer that stands alone among the strong ales from Belgium (which themselves are a rare breed). Can be a bit musty, but in a good way, almost like the malt was smoked prior to brewing. One of the most interesting malt flavors in a beer. Far better on tap!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 27, 2004
From bottle, at about 6 C, poured in a conventional glass (the special glass is just a marketing trick I think). Long-lasting off-white/brown head, amber colour, fruity, slightly sweet taste that make it very drinkable. Pleasant fruity aftertaste. Good carbonation. Altogether one of my favourites

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerAteHer (384) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - SEP 19, 2004
In Kwak I find a brew with a strong bitter mouth presence along with perhaps a bit too much cloying sweetness like Southern Comfort, and a pleasantly fruity malt savor in the aftertaste. This ale has a distinct deep amber color, the most "conventional amber" of the Belgian specialty ales I'm aware of. It pours a thick malted-milk color head with plenty of lacing to the end of the glass. Has a pleasantly strong yeast-dominated aroma but nothing spectacular compared to others in its class. Well carbonated like most Belgians (could perhaps use a tad more for my personal preference) - nice full mouthfeel but is too heavy and feels/tastes thick like S.C. going down, as if it loses all its carbonation in the mouth; yet this must be an illusion since it also gives great beer burps. In summary, I realize this is most likely a "traditional" recipe; however, it seems quite sweet as if the people who invented it so many years ago were quite into mead (I'm rather sure honey is present in abundance). The aftertaste is a pleasant fruity malt balance with plenty of plumlike elements, so despite clear deficits I'm left with somewhat of a positive impression.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 19, 2004
Had this out of its traditional test-tube style glass, which is very cute, but really not much of a beer glass. It sucks all the carbonation out of the beer and is a bit of a pain in the ass to drink out of. Kwak was a bit of a disappointment. Much too sweet and lacking in balance for my palate. Maybe I should try it out of a regular glass.