Brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 2161   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Full-bodied Belgian Specialty Ale. Amber in color with beautiful foam and slightly sweet, seductive malt character. Rich, satisfying Belgian experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeMcPhee (9004) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 12, 2004
From a 330 ml bottle, best before 09/2005 Light brown with slight amber tint and thin white lacing. Huge candi aroma, caramel, honey and spice, especially black pepper. Slight floral aroma as well. Alcohol is apparent. Flavour of fruit including raisins and plums, some berry, and a faint coffee flavour. Long fruity finish and very tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trogdor (196) - Cairns, AUSTRALIA - MAR 10, 2004
hints of chocolate malt and spicy alcohol with light floral hop aromas. dark golden/light amber colouration, head dispersed quickly. sweet caramel and spicy complexity with light floral hop flavours. thin body with sharp spiciness and dry lightly bitter finish. very enjoyable beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Malakin (469) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 7, 2004
Not your average Belgian Strong Ale, this one has a darker robust malty flavour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 5, 2004
I made a bit of an interesting call here as I don't have the glass so I used a hefeweizen glass as it is closest in shape. I don't think it caused any problems hehehe. Nice dark orange color but a lot of yeast chunks in suspension. Aroma is curiously similar to Scotch Silly. Possibly a touch dryer through hops but if you know one you kow the other (I do love this type of deep malt and caramel smell though so it's a "Good Thing"). The palate is nice and thick and smooth however it has a lightness which other thick palate beers (Chimay blue, Tripel Karmeliet and Silly Scotch leap to mind) could learn from. The flavor also is thick malts and caramel with aftertones of hops which save it from being cloying. I do enjoy this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fiulijn (16642) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 1, 2004
Orange - light amber color. Very nice aroma: hops and oranges. Malty, with a light sourness and tartness; fruity as well. Correct final. Quite original.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Winefly (60) - KEW, AUSTRALIA - MAR 1, 2004
Interesting beer...It was not really to my liking however and far too strong in every angle I tried to look at it. It was in my books the Dr Frankenstein of all beers!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
almostfrozen (26) - USA - FEB 29, 2004
Definitely the strangest glass I've ever seen. Felt like doing a lab experiment. Amber colour, smelled of fresh-cut grass. Sweet, no alcohol taste. I think this is the tastiest beer I've ever had. Shared a 25 oz. bottle with a friend and wished I'd gotten my own. Could have drank it all night but not at $17 bucks a pop. Will look for this retail.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Okay, right off the bat this bottle spewed tons of yeast chunks into my glass. And yes, it was a gentle pour lest I suffer the "Belgian Curse" or having huge overflows with the beer. Add to that the serious lack of much of a head and a complete absence of lace, it's already off on a bad foot. Smells of the usual banana and clove. Taste is the usual as well. Nothing special here. Mouthfeel is also average at best. Drinkability? Well, for the price it isn't bad. However, I'd just as soon have a Pranqster.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - FEB 21, 2004
330ml Bottle This Belgian poured a clear amber with a subtle head of foam that died quickly. Aroma is sweet and spicy with pepper and coriander. Body is very smooth and full yet lacks that crispness I prefer in this style. The flavor is sweet and spicy with the coriander showing up here as well. Overall a decent brew just nothing really exceptional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2004
Bottle pours a clear red amber with a small off white head and leopard like lace. The aroma is malty, yeasty, slightly funky, and spicy. The flavor is malty, sweet, slightly roasty, slightly yeasty, and a touch of funk. The palate is fairly rich. Overall, pretty good. I did not have the glass and holder, so I drank out of my Duvel.