overall

RATINGS: 435   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Huge Cascade hop aroma, the subtle malty sweetness, and the spicy, citrusy flavor of this robust, gold colored ale.

Previously called India Pelican Ale, 7.5%
Now called Imperial Pelican Ale, 8%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAR 4, 2003
My palate was just about worn completely thin when we staggered over to the Pelican Pub & Brewery selections. This had won a medal so we were pretty hyped... OK, actually, we were just really drunk and wanted to be part of the excitement! This was strong enough to tnotice (hopswise) and that had to mean that it was extremely hoppy for me to even taste it. There are a dozen beers in my notes before this without any comment, but this one actually mentions the huge hoppy nose and taste. 70 IBUs and 7% ABV are a good match.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
fraternie (806) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 3, 2003
Aroma excited me as I recall, strong hops, fruity notes. Malt is surprisingly nothing as I was hoping for, as dry grapefruit dominates and hops are overwhelming. Not nearly enough malt complexity to balance out the hops (IPAs across the world, take note, as this seemed to be a reoccuring problem at the RAF). Very hoppy, crisp, dry finish. This beer won the Gold medal for best Amercian beer at the whole damn festival. I don't see it, and I am kickass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 2, 2003
cask (RAF): People seem to really like this beer...Well not me..It had an orangy hop citrus grapefruit tinted aroma flowing from above a transparent golden color and the aroma also had notes of grass and soil..The flavor exhibits some grassy hops but the palate is lacking and the bitterness is out of control..So, if i were to break this beer down into three words Hop Flavored Water

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerguy101 (5267) - Newark, California, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Orange gold color. Medium head. Aroma is grapefruity and floral hops. A full-bodied IPA. The hops dominate in this beer. There is some subtle malt sweetness going on here. The hops are mostly grapefruity, but there is also some floralness and pineyness as well. Excellent example of a Pacific NW IPA. Smooth taste with a dry finish, Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is smooth and dry. Aftertaste is bitter. Etched/painted beer bottle.

dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2003
An awesome West Coast IPA. Both wonderful on tap at the brewpub (the view is even better than the beer) and in the bottle. Another great example of a great Cascade hop driven beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 2, 2002
the perfect amount of crisp hop bite, just another west coast ipa but a good one

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jazz88 (2528) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 25, 2002
Tap & Bottle. My first experience was a bottle I bought in Portland which I gave a 7 4 6 4 16. It had a rich big hopped bitter mouthful with some malty sweetness. A few days later I visited the brewpub and was blown away. It had an amazing intense almost piercing hop aroma that carried into the flavor in waves of fresh bright sunlight. Damn it was good. The brewpub is right on the ocean with a fantastic view to compliment their wonderful beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - SEP 4, 2002
Blooming mellow floral/citrus/hoppy aroma invites one to sip...Lovely honey-gold color...creamy, tight head leaves sheet lace on the glass---unusually fine retention...Slight malt sweetness in front, joined (but not overpowered) by healthy doses of Cascade hops...finish is of grapefruit rind with that slightly spicy Cascade essence. Body is medium (I wish it had a tad more, frankly, but hell, I’m a perfectionist!)---carbonation very well-judged...Overall, this is an awfully well-made brew...I think I’ll have seconds...right now!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - AUG 11, 2002
A nice pale ale, but not as good as the Stone’s. Still a nice brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 9, 2002
Very hoppy. Would have liked it to be a little more bitter. Good aroma. Nice dryness in the finish. A very drinkable and agreeable beer.